PDA

View Full Version : Invoice vs MSRP - Outback V

oldjeep
12-22-2013, 04:10 PM
I'm planning on purchasing a different boat for next season and one of the boats we are considering is the Outback V. What I'm trying to figure out before starting to talk to the dealers is what sort of negotiation range there is from MSRP. The boat I would be looking for would be the base setup with digital readout and multisport plate, slalom pole, fold in racks and a cover. So a pretty basic set of options.

Any thoughts on what you might expect to negotiate off of list - assuming you were ordering the boat?

Thanks

wolfeman131
12-22-2013, 05:01 PM
Head to your local boat show and use the incentives to get the best deal. Different dealers have different margin thresholds, so any answer you get may not be applicable at all to you.

ian ashton
12-22-2013, 05:28 PM
And Moombas dealer network setup prohibits dealers from competing, rather assigns each a territory.

oldjeep
12-22-2013, 06:28 PM
And Moombas dealer network setup prohibits dealers from competing, rather assigns each a territory.

Fortunately I've got a couple different addresses to purchase from so at least there can be a little competition.

Gabbyg88
12-22-2013, 09:07 PM
I think your best deal is going to be the boat show as well. The other option that may save you some money would a left over that a dealer needs to move. I looked at left over 2012 OBV and the dealer was willing to take extra money off to move it off the lot. Remember Moomba is a price point boat they are already marked down for sale. Which makes them reasonably priced boats compared to other manufacturers.

tater
12-22-2013, 09:49 PM
I would also look at the 13's or non-currents as they are called,Dont know what region you live in but there are a couple of OBV's in the Indiana area still up for grabs.

Ian Brantford
12-23-2013, 12:49 AM

I wonder if this breaks any anti-trust laws.

maxpower220
12-23-2013, 09:51 AM
This is America, you can go to any dealer and buy what you want.

Shopping around and using the internet should get you in the ball park of what you should be paying for a new boat. Of course, you have to account for shipping costs too, so a boat in TN should be a different price than one in CA just due to shipping.

You should know your budget. Be realistic, if you budget is only $XXK, then you may need to buy used. If you can afford anything and you just want the best deal, then research is your friend.

Remember, the dealer is also probably the place you may need to use for warranty work and service. Starting that relationship with a purchase may be better than buying out of market and then beginning. Of course any dealer will do warranty work, but you priority in the summer may be lower than a purchaser.
Good luck with your search.

sandm
12-23-2013, 10:52 AM
This is America, you can go to any dealer and buy what you want.

good luck with that. when I was shopping last year for a new boat, I called several dealers out of state on ads on the internet and none of them would sell without an address in the dealership territory where they sell. This included several brands outside of skers choice. they were more than happy to help "broker" the deal(kind of like a referral fee) but none would deliver the boat out of their dealership. this is the case with any current model boat. once they become a "holdover", all bets are off.

oldjeep
12-23-2013, 11:56 AM
I would also look at the 13's or non-currents as they are called,Dont know what region you live in but there are a couple of OBV's in the Indiana area still up for grabs.

I'm in MN - or WI or FL if necessary ;) Local dealer is 4 blocks from my house and they haven't had an Outback V since I've started looking there. I'll have to start looking around to see what is still available for 2013's - I'm willing to drive a ways for a decent deal. While I would need to use a dealer for any free warranty work, that is as far as it goes. I don't pay people to do service/repair work on anything. Looking at supposed invoice prices it appears that MSRP is more than 25% over invoice so there has to be room to work.

Thanks

Chuck
http://www.oldjeep.com

13mobiusLSV
12-23-2013, 04:57 PM
I can't remember the exact website. But I think it's seedealercost.com. I used it this fall when purchasing my 13 LSV. It breaks down msrp vs invoice. I think it's fairly accurate. Good luck!

moombadaze
12-23-2013, 05:18 PM
just remember boat dealers don't sell that many boats in a month, so they have to make more per sale when compared to a new car dealer

Sharpshooter
12-23-2013, 05:45 PM
Hey just go pull the trigger, when I bought my 13 LSV I was just going to my local dealer to buy some pop up cleats for my 06 outback, by the time I got back home I had the pop up cleats I went for, just so happen they were on the new boat I talked myself into buying

2013 Moomba LSV

kaneboats
12-25-2013, 09:24 PM
It's like buying gas. 5-10% more isn't worth driving across town. Get to know your local dealer and ask about ordering a boat. They might not want to order an OBV without a presale but might love having yours sitting there for a few months while it's cold out. They might sell 5 boats off yours. Be a good guy and let 'em store it in the showroom.

oldjeep
12-26-2013, 09:50 PM
It's like buying gas. 5-10% more isn't worth driving across town. Get to know your local dealer and ask about ordering a boat. They might not want to order an OBV without a presale but might love having yours sitting there for a few months while it's cold out. They might sell 5 boats off yours. Be a good guy and let 'em store it in the showroom.

LOL - 5-10% of nearly 50K isn't worth driving a bit? I'm going to talk to them around boat show time, but honestly at the moment I'm leaning towards a 2-3 year old VTX for the same money and a better ski wake unless the dealer really wows me with a price drop.

ian ashton
12-26-2013, 10:45 PM
I love the ski wake of my OBV; at my speed and length it's almost as good as that of my Outback DD, and I'd have to say there is no chance that a VTX has a better slalom wake.

If you are going to buy an OBV order exactly what you want, or buy used. I don't see much sense in settling for a dealer lot new boat when you can order.

oldjeep
12-27-2013, 09:11 AM
I love the ski wake of my OBV; at my speed and length it's almost as good as that of my Outback DD, and I'd have to say there is no chance that a VTX has a better slalom wake.

If you are going to buy an OBV order exactly what you want, or buy used. I don't see much sense in settling for a dealer lot new boat when you can order.

The VTX has 2 hull choices - Diamond hull and wake. The Diamond hull is what they use on the response, it is a superior ski hull but comes at a Malibu price.

sandm
12-27-2013, 09:44 AM
unless you are a competition skier, the differences in the obv and vtx will be negligible. just like the obv/dd, the vtx is a response hull but it was not designed differently to ride better with 1000lbs of engine hanging on the butt end. I would give the edge on paper to the obv with it's 200lb weight advantage. either one will produce a good slalom wake but if you are looking for a response-style wake, buy a response.

at the end of the day both boats will be very close in performance, ask yourself:
-do I want the perceived 'bu fit/finish and malivue but in a used boat with no warranty and someone elses break-in or
-do I want a new boat, ordered my way, warranty, solid construction and one of the best values in a new boat(not to mention support from the best forum on the web).

both boats should cost roughly the same and resale at the 5year mark will be comparable on a 5 y.o. obv and a now 7-8 y.o. vtx but I would bet the overall cost of maintenance and should any repairs need to be made, advantage will fall to the obv.

no brainer for me as the obv would be in the garage. I will disagree with Ian in that if you can find a leftover '13 with everything you want, price on that will give an even bigger advantage to the moomba choice. they are out there and-hearing 3rd hand from someone on another forum comparing obv to a different 20ft boat-some '13's are being closed out with prices that start in the mid40's new.

oldjeep
12-27-2013, 10:10 AM
Good points, and I'll be seeing what is around our area. A used Moomba is a rare thing around here since they really just started selling them here a couple years ago and don't seem to be selling many. The used market has far more Malibus, since that seems to be the brand of choice in our area - you see a couple MC's and almost never see a Nautique or Centurian.

I do like a comp ski boat, but will settle for the v-drive in the name of space. While I might put my boat through the course a couple times just to try it out, I'm normally behind an LXI or Prostar for that.

oldjeep
01-14-2014, 04:12 PM
FWIW, I wound up buying a 2012 VTX with the Diamond Hull yesterday. Thanks for the info that was provided.