PDA

View Full Version : The Great Micro-Brew Thread

kaneboats
12-13-2013, 02:11 PM
OK, it's offseason for most of us. I know I tend to get some sampler packs and try some different brews in the winter time when it's not 95 every day and you have to drink a twelver of lite just to stay cool. So, post up the beers you've tried lately, old favorites, etc. along with your review and/or any stories that go with it. Good beer drinking is a God given right. Pics of the pack or bottle or mug would be cool too. So, let's enjoy some beer together (over 21 only).

bergermaister
12-13-2013, 02:43 PM
Funny - are we related?

Decided to keep a running tally this year on my phone since I start this around Thanksgiving and sample pretty much any that I come across. Prefer to start with a 22oz when possible. I lean towards the ales - ambers and reds, so my list here is biased that direction....

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/beers.png

kaneboats
12-13-2013, 03:17 PM
This one was a decent to OK double IPA. Pleasant and definitely worth the $4 for a 4 pack deal!

https://forum.moomba.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18878&d=1386962226

brain_rinse
12-13-2013, 05:20 PM
KegFullOfHomebrew.jpg

bergermaister
12-13-2013, 05:23 PM
CanIBeYourFriend.jpg

rca
12-14-2013, 01:33 AM
Fellow beer snobs (what my wife calls me), I already love this thread. I tend to drink local brews so this may be skewed toward Texas beers for me, but I'll try most anything. Recently I've had:

Karbach Hopadillo - great IPA
Karbach Yule Shoot Your Eye Out - Christmas Ale, little heavy on the spices for me
Karbach Mother-In-Lager - dark lager, easy to drink
Karbach Weekend Warrior - American Pale Ale
Karbach Pumpkinator - nice pumpkin beer, not too spicy, high ABV
Karbach Roshambo - double (i think) IPA fermented with Belgian yeast, very good
Karbach Hopadillo Negro - black double IPA, loved it
Karbach Rodeo Clown - double IPA, one of my favorites
Santa Fe Black IPA - I like it, a little low in IBUs
Harpoon White IPA - easy drinking, not sure what I think
Sierra Nevada Celebration - fresh hope ale, one of my favorites every year
Sam Adams Oktoberfest - go to Oktoberfest
Founders Breakfast Stout - great stout
Breckinridge Vanilla Porter - probably my favorite porter

I know there are a few others I've had recently too. I'll consider and post again.

brain_rinse
12-14-2013, 08:12 AM
CanIBeYourFriend.jpg

Ha! Stop by any time, friend. This batch is a bells two hearted clone.

rca
12-14-2013, 11:57 AM
Love Bells Two Hearted. Used to brew myself, then I bought a boat.......

kaneboats
12-16-2013, 10:28 AM
Harpoon White IPA - easy drinking, not sure what I think
Sierra Nevada Celebration - fresh hope ale, one of my favorites every year
Sam Adams Oktoberfest - go to Oktoberfest
Founders Breakfast Stout - great stout
Breckinridge Vanilla Porter - probably my favorite porter

Like the Founders one and the Breckenridge. Had the very good Left Hand Milk Stout this weekend. Also had the Celebration. mmmmmm. Got a variety pack of different brews from Lakefront Brewery in Wisconsin. None were perfect but every one was darn good. The belgian white was interesting and the pilsner was kind of like a wheat version. Very interesting stuff. Also got the Shipyard sampler pk. Lots of goodies in there too. Try their "Longfellow Winter Ale"-- good stuff.

rca
12-16-2013, 11:22 AM
I pretty much like all of Left Hands brews, but their Milk Stout is my favorite. Had it on nitro a couple of times and then it is at its best.

That reminds me I had a couple of brews from Lakewood Brewing in the Dallas area recently too. Their Punkel, a pumpkin spiced dunkel, was prett good. Their Temptress, an imperial Milk Stout, was great. Nice flavor and mouthfeel. Definitely find that one if you are in the Dallas area.

kaneboats
12-16-2013, 04:35 PM
Forgot to mention my favorite of the week. Southern Tier 2X IPA. We get this on tap at the local watering hole here:

http://www.stbcbeer.com/works-2-cols/2xipa-beer-page/

Here's a little bucket list to try:

http://firstwefeast.com/drink/30-great-ipas-to-drink-before-you-die/

rca
12-16-2013, 06:21 PM
Checking out that list now. I love a good IPA list.

I have had Southern Tier 2x IPA. My daughter works at a Pizza place and has about 16 rotating taps and they get some good stuff. Had the Southern Tier there, very good.

rca
12-16-2013, 06:28 PM
So on that list of 30 I've had:

Sculpin IPA
DFH 90
Sierra Nevada Celebration
Brewdog Punk IPA
Green Flash West Coast IPA
Great Divide Titan IPA
Lagunitas IPA
Firestone Walker Wookey Jack
Stone Enjoy by IPA
DFH 120
Bear Republic Racer 5
Brooklyn East IPA
Founders Centennial IPA
Sierra Nevada Torpedo

I'd call that a pretty good start. I can't believe they didn't have any of the Pliny beers from Russian River on the list though, those win awards every year and are definitely tasty. I would have also expected to maybe see Avery's Maharaja on the list.

rdlangston13
12-16-2013, 08:08 PM
Shiner Holiday cheer is all you need. We have a micro by our house called no label. I have not tried anything from there yet but apparently they have an open house like every other weekend. They are located inside an old silo at the old rice mill in old town katy.

Sent from my iPhone

rca
12-16-2013, 11:29 PM
Shiner Holiday cheer is all you need. We have a micro by our house called no label. I have not tried anything from there yet but apparently they have an open house like every other weekend. They are located inside an old silo at the old rice mill in old town katy.

Sent from my iPhone
I've been to No Labels Saturday events before David. Worth stopping by at least once, some nice people. They make a couple of beers I enjoy too. Their Mint IPA is a nice twist and they make a Milk Stout called Edna M., I think, that is pretty good. Lisa calls the Milk Stout crunch beer, but just because it is so dark. I have not tried their Jalapeno Ale, but have heard it is interesting. Probably goes well with Mexican food.

rdlangston13
12-17-2013, 02:18 AM
I've been to No Labels Saturday events before David. Worth stopping by at least once, some nice people. They make a couple of beers I enjoy too. Their Mint IPA is a nice twist and they make a Milk Stout called Edna M., I think, that is pretty good. Lisa calls the Milk Stout crunch beer, but just because it is so dark. I have not tried their Jalapeno Ale, but have heard it is interesting. Probably goes well with Mexican food.

Well you and Lisa need to come on down and Heidi and I can meet yall over there! That place is literally like 3 miles from our house

kaneboats
02-13-2014, 10:14 PM
This one tonight was very cheap and pretty darn good. Never heard of it even though it's from Chicago.

Argus Pegasus IPA

Here's a link to the description:

http://www.argusbrewery.com/our-beers/argus-brands/

jrobb
02-15-2014, 12:55 AM
Best ipa i have ever had is pliney the elder, they use to sell it in bottles and select tap rooms but now i believe the only place you can get it is at the brewery in san fran. If any of you see it anywhere i suggest picking it up it will blow you away and leave you wanting more.

beat taco
02-16-2014, 01:52 AM
Dare I come in here and gloat? So many good micros around here where do I start. All the ski resorts up at Mt. Hood have Cloud Cap Amber, and I had no idea until today it is a Mt Hood Brewery beer (perhaps some of you have had their Ice Axe) anyhoo...it's very tasty check it out. https://untappd.com/brewery/6319/beer

rdlangston13
02-16-2014, 04:30 AM
I made it down to our local micro brewery for the afternoon today and they have some delicious stuff going on there. Not to mention you can get 4 pints for $12. That's a heck of a deal! And then you can bring your pint glass back for the next open house and get 4 pints for $5!

Sent from my iPhone

rca
02-16-2014, 09:11 PM
No Label has a nice setup, don't they David.

On Pliny the Elder, you can still get it in bottles and on tap. I had it on tap last time I was in Denver and some friends from Sacramento just brought me some in bottles. Distribution is pretty limited. The best place to get it would be at the brewery in Russian River, CA. If you can find it on tap I hear Pliny the Younger is even better. Very limited release on that one.

jmvotto
02-17-2014, 09:04 AM
No really a micro brew , but Sam Adams seasonal brews are on the $$. Anyone try the Cold snap.... It's worth a try.

wolfeman131
02-17-2014, 09:12 AM
Anyone try the Cold snap.... It's worth a try.

AGREED! In the 'fridge right now.

bergermaister
02-17-2014, 11:18 AM
We've stumbled across Pliny Elder in New Seasons or World Market if you have any of those around.

clarkely
02-17-2014, 10:22 PM
I have been a big Souther tier brewery fan the last year or so.... Hopsun is an awesome summer beer.... Their harvest beer is awesome!!! Been hooked on there double 2X ipa.... But as of late I had found that their regular ipa may be even better :) have also found myself going back and stocking the frog with troegs perpetual ipa another goodie....

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

jmvotto
02-17-2014, 10:28 PM
I have been a big Souther tier brewery fan the last year or so.... Hopsun is an awesome summer beer.... Their harvest beer is awesome!!! Been hooked on there double 2X ipa.... But as of late I had found that their regular ipa may be even better :) have also found myself going back and stocking the frog with troegs perpetual ipa another goodie....

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Was going to mention southern tier but did not know how far it reached, glad to know someone from out of state appreciates a good ny beer....

kaneboats
02-18-2014, 10:40 AM
Southern Tier XX is my current favorite double. It's on tap up at the place closest to here where we hang out on Sundays. Its in our supermarkets too.

rca
02-19-2014, 12:52 AM
We get Southern Tier in Texas too. Had it on tap at the restaurant where my daughter works. Lately they've had a couple of good IPAs, Ballast Point Sculpin being the one that comes to mind.

chawk610
02-19-2014, 08:20 AM
Saw a ton of commercials for the "Cold Snap"... got some, loved it! Anyone ever had Rahr? Brewed right here in Fort Worth... good schtuff!