PDA

View Full Version : How you cooking your bird today?

wolfeman131
11-28-2013, 10:11 AM
So, how does everybody get the Turkey a Day bird ready to throw on the table?

Roasted in the oven?
On the big green egg?
Fry that sucker?
Anybody have a turducken thing where you stuff a duck in the turkey?

How about other tasty treats?

I hope everyone has a great day!

sandm
11-28-2013, 11:42 AM
small rib roast.

no turkey here.

kaneboats
11-28-2013, 01:13 PM
We cooked 180 turkeys this week in my buddy's roaster/smoker trailer. Sent them all to good homes this morning. Our own bird is in the electric countertop roaster this year. Tom is about 23 lbs. We'll see how he does. Gobble gobble!

wolfeman131
11-28-2013, 04:20 PM
Rib roast sounds good. I like to do something different at Christmas like that or lamb or some sort of seafood but Thanksgiving is a turkey day.

Real neat thing you did Pat.

I let the Mother In Law host this yr. She takes a piece of cheesecloth, slathers it in butter and wraps the bird in it then in the oven, cooking it low & slow.

BensonWdby
11-29-2013, 12:43 AM
I was thinking about going this way - but wife won out : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU8iRYbnAb0

tarheelskier
11-29-2013, 11:09 AM
Weber grill

I too am interested in feedback on Turducken.....love to know how that thing tastes....anyone, anyone?

kaneboats
12-02-2013, 01:30 PM
Real neat thing you did Pat.

Thanks. It's very gratifying knowing how many families we are able to feed. We slice up tons of breasts the night before and then warm up the pans for hot meals in the big trailer cooker in the morning. About a hundred volunteers help assemble and deliver the hot meals. We also do about 150 family boxes that get a whole turkey (breast, cooked). This pic shows my buddy Mike arriving with the ones for the family boxes. Pretty dang cool. Our church pays for the whole effort through donations.

https://forum.moomba.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18844&d=1386005424

Hauss66
12-02-2013, 11:21 PM
We did a turducken last year, my parents ordered it from a place in Louisiana. Stuffed with cornbread stuffing, it seemed dry but the flavor was wicked awesome.

rdlangston13
12-04-2013, 02:47 PM
Turducken is tradition in my family, my dads side does one every year and they are delicious. I am sad to say that I have not been home for thanksgiving the last two years so I have missed out but typically on the rigs in the GOM they serve up turduckens as well. Apparently tho they are not real popular in New Zealand.

Sent from my iPhone