PDA

View Full Version : Mod Overload!! Where do I start???

Jer119
11-22-2013, 11:05 AM
I was laughing when I decided to post this thread, so after reading a ton of posts, I figured I better get some advice on which mods to tackle first, second, and so on...... There are some great ideas on here.
I'm your typical guy, with a love for hobbies, having said that, I probably have too many, HAHA! Is there such a thing?? I'd like to do a few mods to the boat to break the ice. I'm a 41 yr old rookie to owning a Moomba, wakeboard/surf boat. I've never wakesurfed, but guarantee that I will be this year. I've only wakeboarded a few times, same guarantee there too. I love the water! I've owned a boat, but never really got to enjoy anything but the occasional ski, tube, and cruising with a cooler full of refreshments. I've mainly kept busy until now on a Kawasaki 800 stand up. I'm hoping with this Perfect Pass, I can get it set so my girlfriend, or whoever else shows up ,can finally pull me around.
I'm looking for some key upgrades that will enhance my on the water experience. As a beginner what makes sense? I'm up for planning ahead as my skills gets better. I assume what I have is stock.
Maybe I should just polish the speaker rack and call it good?? :cool:
I've had a great time hanging around these Forums, lots of good laughs, sarcasm, givin others grief, etc... So I expect nothing less. Having said all that, I'm ready to get started!

KG's Supra24
11-22-2013, 11:28 AM
1. Boat Bling. Get the boat clean over winter so you can show it off next summer. http://boatbling.net/store/

2. Gotta rep the Moomba brand, grab a sticker, shirt or hat ..... https://www.scapparel.com/

3. You are gonna want extra ballast (at minimum on surf side). An 1100 from wakemakers is the cure.

4. What prop do you have? Might be an upgrade to consider if you have a 13x17.

5. Are you wanting to do stereo work? Wetsounds, no other "real" options ;)

6. Do you have gear? Boards, jackets, ropes, etc?

7. You gotta black boat ... I'm a fan of window tint.

8. .................. guess that's all I got right now.

Jer119
11-22-2013, 11:56 AM
1. Boat Bling. Get the boat clean over winter so you can show it off next summer. http://boatbling.net/store/

2. Gotta rep the Moomba brand, grab a sticker, shirt or hat ..... https://www.scapparel.com/

3. You are gonna want extra ballast (at minimum on surf side). An 1100 from wakemakers is the cure.

4. What prop do you have? Might be an upgrade to consider if you have a 13x17.

5. Are you wanting to do stereo work? Wetsounds, no other "real" options ;)

6. Do you have gear? Boards, jackets, ropes, etc?

7. You gotta black boat ... I'm a fan of window tint.

8. .................. guess that's all I got right now.

Great start.
3. I read quite a bit on the ballast systems so far. The guy I bought the boat from told me I didn't need to go that route, he said the wake was big enough. After reading many positives on here, I'm exploring the idea a bit more seriously.
4. I think my prop is stock. I was planning on pulling it cause it needs repair, so I will also look into prop options.
5. Stereo is ok for now, but wouldn't mind a fuller sound in the future. Seems like a lot of treble from the tower, and from behind the boat. Sounds decent inside the boat. I'm not looking to win the loud competition on the water yet. I did say "yet", HAHA!!
5. I have no boards, well, I did have a beginner wakeboard, but I lent it out and it came back snapped in half. So that's getting replaced under warranty and will have it for next season. The owner left some ropes in the boat. I might be good on those.
7. Tint looks cool, if I decide to do that, I think I'd do something lighter, not blacked out.

sandm
11-22-2013, 12:14 PM
second the bigger ballast suggestion first. 1100's in each corner/ibs up front. I would get a different prop rather than getting that one fixed right now if it's a 13x17 as mentioned. get it fixed next year as a spare. if you already have one of the 14x14 variants, good to go..

get your gear second. wakeboard, vests and a good entry surfboard and go have fun. worry about the mods once you have some hours on it and learn what you like/want to change..

oh ya, add your location and put your boat in your sig. will make advice easier :)

is it summer yet?????

Jer119
11-22-2013, 01:03 PM
second the bigger ballast suggestion first. 1100's in each corner/ibs up front. I would get a different prop rather than getting that one fixed right now if it's a 13x17 as mentioned. get it fixed next year as a spare. if you already have one of the 14x14 variants, good to go..

get your gear second. wakeboard, vests and a good entry surfboard and go have fun. worry about the mods once you have some hours on it and learn what you like/want to change..

oh ya, add your location and put your boat in your sig. will make advice easier :)

is it summer yet?????

OK, got the location, and a few things in my profile so far. Cant figure out the sig yet. I read the post, but I'm missing something. Same with the avatar pic. I'll keep working on it.
Gonna start looking for some boards, any brands out there that are recommended? I saw a few posts on a couple so far. I bought my wakeboard from the local boat shop, but not sure of the quality. I think it was about $150. I'd like something good so that I get started off on the right path.
NO, its not summer yet!! Snow on the ground up here.

Jer119
11-22-2013, 01:38 PM
Prop says 13.7 x 17.5

wolfeman131
11-22-2013, 01:57 PM
Prop says 13.7 x 17.5

somewhere in there it should also read "POS"

call Spencer @ Wakemakers. Tell him the guys from the Moomba forum sent you his way for ballast & a prop. He will get you hooked up.

There is a big contingent of wakesurfers in your area. Check out fb for the 10,000 Lakes wakesurf competition and the Minnesota Championship. Both run by some great folks. There is also a group called Wakesurf MN and Faction Boardshop.

Sharpshooter
11-22-2013, 02:17 PM
I started with LEDS first,next is 1100 lb surf side and IBS bag in front and finish up with tower speakers last

bergermaister
11-22-2013, 02:57 PM
1) Gear - without it you're pretty much just sitting there in your cool new boat.
2) Ballast - good luck surfing without it.
2.5) Prop - may turn from a 'want' to a NEED depending on what you do with #2. Plus relatively inexpensive by comparison.
3) Perfect Pass - if you don't already have it. You can live without it for a while and make it work. Not so much on #1 and #2
4) Everything else you read about on here

kaneboats
11-22-2013, 03:48 PM
There is a big contingent of wakesurfers in your area. Check out fb for the 10,000 Lakes wakesurf competition and the Minnesota Championship. Both run by some great folks. There is also a group called Wakesurf MN and Faction Boardshop.

As I read this I have my 10,000 Lakes Wakesurf Competition T-shirt on (thanks Drew). I have to go to Minneapolis in 2014 but I think it's in Sept.

viking
11-22-2013, 04:26 PM
Just surrender now to the fact that you will spend about 2-3 times what your budget is for each MOD! :) JK.....well, not really :twisted:
It does get expensive and the forums don't help any. But I wouldn't live without them.
I'm on a RZR, Duramax, and Acura forum and it's all the same. Just 4x as expensive.
Welcome and have a good winter modding.

Sharpshooter
11-22-2013, 07:45 PM
Just surrender now to the fact that you will spend about 2-3 times what your budget is for each MOD! :) JK.....well, not really :twisted:
It does get expensive and the forums don't help any. But I wouldn't live without them.
I'm on a RZR, Duramax, and Acura forum and it's all the same. Just 4x as expensive.

OH so true

jmvotto
11-22-2013, 08:24 PM
Ooh just sell the boat before the mods get out of hand!!

Everything is fair game and good ideas for mods, except KG advice on Audio gear, He plays for the wrong team:o

moombadaze
11-22-2013, 09:56 PM
#1 prop upgrade, huge advantage for what ever ballast you end up with. look for the acme brand. #2 ballast. #3 tunes-very fond of Exile-goes without saying 8-). #4 rob a bank to pay for it all cause your getting in deep now.....

cornrickey
11-22-2013, 11:48 PM
Fresh Air Exhaust

Jer119
11-23-2013, 01:26 AM
somewhere in there it should also read "POS"

call Spencer @ Wakemakers. Tell him the guys from the Moomba forum sent you his way for ballast & a prop. He will get you hooked up.

I can guess what POS means, so I think I'll be calling someone at Wakemakers pretty soon. haha!! I'll look into the other clubs out there.

bbuhtz
11-23-2013, 01:33 AM
#1 - Boards
#2 - Perfect Pass
#3 - Upgrade Ballast
#4 - Tunes

Depending on quality and quantity, that should set you back at min a couple g's. I could see myself redoing all of that and easily spending over 9k and while doing the work myself.

Welcome to the team!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

bbuhtz
11-23-2013, 01:34 AM
#3.5 - Upgrade Prop!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Jer119
11-23-2013, 01:42 AM

Viking, I said I wanted to just break the ice with some mods, haha!! I'm gonna do a mod here, and a mod there, switching it up between the hobbies.

gregski
11-23-2013, 03:05 AM
#1 - Boards
#2 - Perfect Pass
#3 - Upgrade Ballast

Definitely the top 3.

Unless you have good drivers experienced with pulling a skier, perfect pass is a must. I'm good enough that I can handle a less perfect driver, but I don't progress and usually just take a break from any tricks while I wait for them to figure it out. This would really slow your learning as a beginner. Even my "best" drivers aren't really all that good.

As a beginner, you won't need extra ballast for wakeboarding but it will help for surfing.

tgoody14
11-23-2013, 09:54 AM
#1 prop upgrade, huge advantage for what ever ballast you end up with. look for the acme brand. #2 ballast. #3 tunes-very fond of Exile-goes without saying 8-). #4 rob a bank to pay for it all cause your getting in deep now.....

Yes! Exile FA SHO! Hands down!

Speaking of ballast who has the link for the DIY IBS that you run off the center tank???

OP- if you do any sunset/night watering LEDs in cup holders and hideaways and swap out your dash lights to whatever colors you desire! Easy Mod!

Welcome to the friendliest and most knowledgeable forum on the Web. True. Story.

Taylor

jstenger
11-23-2013, 07:25 PM
Speaking of ballast who has the link for the DIY IBS that you run off the center tank???

Taylor
Depends on how you want to hook it up. Some use a "Y" valve and others don't.

EricU
11-24-2013, 07:00 PM
#1 - Boards
#2 - Perfect Pass
#3 - Upgrade Ballast
#4 - Tunes

Ahhh! Welcome to the "Zipper" effect!

#1 is definitely PP (Perfect Pass) - don't leave home without it.

Have a couple of different size vests for different size people.

Go to a real boat/wake board shop and buy last years board/boot combo at a huge savings. Talk to the kids working the shops with their hats that look too big, they can tell you which boards are just cosmetic changes (I like the Ronix line). I bought mine this time last year at about 60% off.

Get a good prop now. And get a second prop (or keep your old one) get a prop puller and learn to use it, they are easy to use, but is easier to learn at home with no pressure or GF asking stupid questions. I have two Acme props in the classified section for sale (https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?23337-ACME-1617-400-shipping)

Get good tunes now. Wetsounds, Exile or Kenwood depending on your budget and likes. This is where you can really get stupid with money (trust me!) Even the crappiest wakeboarder can enjoy good music and a beverage in the sun. Give MLA, David from Earmark Marine or Phil from Kicker your budget and desires -- then double your budget

During the season you will start getting comfortable crossing the wake and then you will go with more ballast, so just give in now!! Again you can keep checking the classified section or just give MLA or Wakemakers a call or PM. They have both helped me out a lot!

And don't worry, there are plenty more mods to go after these.
Extra batteries
On board charger
LEDs to be replaced by RGB LEDs
SeaDek pads

Jer119
11-24-2013, 11:10 PM
Ahhh! Welcome to the "Zipper" effect!

#1 is definitely PP (Perfect Pass) - don't leave home without it.

Have a couple of different size vests for different size people.

Go to a real boat/wake board shop and buy last years board/boot combo at a huge savings. Talk to the kids working the shops with their hats that look too big, they can tell you which boards are just cosmetic changes (I like the Ronix line). I bought mine this time last year at about 60% off.

Get a good prop now. And get a second prop (or keep your old one) get a prop puller and learn to use it, they are easy to use, but is easier to learn at home with no pressure or GF asking stupid questions. I have two Acme props in the classified section for sale (https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?23337-ACME-1617-400-shipping)

Get good tunes now. Wetsounds, Exile or Kenwood depending on your budget and likes. This is where you can really get stupid with money (trust me!) Even the crappiest wakeboarder can enjoy good music and a beverage in the sun. Give MLA, David from Earmark Marine or Phil from Kicker your budget and desires -- then double your budget

During the season you will start getting comfortable crossing the wake and then you will go with more ballast, so just give in now!! Again you can keep checking the classified section or just give MLA or Wakemakers a call or PM. They have both helped me out a lot!

And don't worry, there are plenty more mods to go after these.
Extra batteries
On board charger
LEDs to be replaced by RGB LEDs
SeaDek pads

Some good info there! Not sure what kind of budget I'm gonna work with, but I'm just gonna go with the flow for a while and see how this all pans out.
I have the Perfect Pass on the boat, so I'm good there. For sure I'll be looking into the ballast upgrade. I haven't heard a bad thing about it yet, so it must be good.
The prop puller sounds like another good idea, that's one I wasn't thinking about. Didn't know how hard it would be to change. Need to find out what prop works with what combo.
I better stick to some of those first before I get too distracted, HaHa! I need to research boards some more as I really don't know much about them. I definitely need to get a couple.
Might look into the 2 battery setup.
Still not sure about the tunes. I shouldn't say that, cause I'd love a good sounding boat. I'm gonna look into the systems and see what they go for in case it's something I feel I can swing.

cornrickey
11-24-2013, 11:49 PM
unless your going to sit in a cover and crank it I would install a fresh air exhaust prior to a sound system. The FAE is the best sound system mood you can do and you get the benefits of the exhaust feature. you'll find you don't need as big as a system than you thought. I agree with the PP first.

Jer119
11-25-2013, 09:59 AM
unless your going to sit in a cover and crank it I would install a fresh air exhaust prior to a sound system. The FAE is the best sound system mood you can do and you get the benefits of the exhaust feature. you'll find you don't need as big as a system than you thought. I agree with the PP first.

I read up the FAE, sure seems like a cool add on. I love a good sounding exhaust, but maybe I should just leave that on the street. Like I've said before, I have never had a boat like this. So I have no idea what to expect when I hit the water in the Spring. I knew the exhaust was just below the water, but didn't take into consideration that communication between the driver/passengers and rider could be bothered by the exhaust.
See? This really is a great place to get informed.....Even if just about all of you seem to have one hand in my wallet trying to spend some, or all of my money!!!! HAHA, gotta love it.

brain_rinse
11-25-2013, 11:30 PM
Did some say they needed help spending money? I'm GREAT at that!!!

My favorite mods are the Z5 cargo rack, IBS, and Acme 1433. Lots of other fun things to add, but those are what make me love my boat.

cornrickey
11-26-2013, 12:06 AM
I read up the FAE, sure seems like a cool add on. I love a good sounding exhaust, but maybe I should just leave that on the street. Like I've said before, I have never had a boat like this. So I have no idea what to expect when I hit the water in the Spring. I knew the exhaust was just below the water, but didn't take into consideration that communication between the driver/passengers and rider could be bothered by the exhaust.
See? This really is a great place to get informed.....Even if just about all of you seem to have one hand in my wallet trying to spend some, or all of my money!!!! HAHA, gotta love it.

The exhaust is under the water when of plain but once underway its out puff the water. Mine is so quiet that I can hear the raw water pump while under way. It freaked me out at first because I thought it was going out but it was fine.

parrothd
11-26-2013, 07:14 PM
We usually start very early am on our lake, those that live on it probably love my FAE...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Jer119
11-27-2013, 01:22 AM
We usually start very early am on our lake, those that live on it probably love my FAE...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

That's a good point. I'm looking into it Thanks.

powerstroke99
11-27-2013, 07:26 AM
If you ever venture down south to the DL lakes area i usually hit that up a few times a year! Congrats on the new boat and good luck with the mods! I spent way more then anticipated being on this forum last summer, but love every minute of what i did and what i have learned on here.

Jer119
11-27-2013, 01:24 PM
If you ever venture down south to the DL lakes area i usually hit that up a few times a year! Congrats on the new boat and good luck with the mods! I spent way more then anticipated being on this forum last summer, but love every minute of what i did and what i have learned on here.

Ya, thanks for the invite!! We'll keep in touch as the year goes on. I'm going to hit the "Buy It Now" button a few times this winter for sure, maybe next week!! HAHA. I'm excited to get through winter and back on the water in the spring and put the mods to good use. I'll be making a few calls after the weekend and get the pump primed to spend a few bucks. Although I've never surfed, or did anything crazy on a wakeboard (I just learned how to get up, and I still don't think I'm doing it right), sounds like the ballast and prop are some pretty killer additions on these boats.

kaneboats
11-27-2013, 02:39 PM
If you're getting up, you're doing it right.

mikenehrkorn
11-27-2013, 02:53 PM
Kind of like sex and golf, you don't have to do it "right" or be good at it to have fun!!

EricU
11-27-2013, 03:50 PM
Kind of like sex and golf, you don't have to do it "right" or be good at it to have fun!!

Not sure which is the appropriate response;

Kind of leads on from the previous post regarding "If you're getting up, you're doing it right. "
If you can do all three at the same time, then you are doing real well...

Jer119
12-02-2013, 03:58 PM
OK, just got off the phone with Spencer.... I can check off 1100lb bags for the rear, and whatever they come with to hook up. He recommended using the stock bags for up front, so I got whatever was needed for that too. All I really did was listen to him tell me what I needed and I just said "OK". HAHA!! What a salesman. I also had him hook me up with a Ronix surfboard. Not a bad start to the week.

kaneboats
12-02-2013, 07:52 PM
Congrats! You're gonna fit right in around here.

Henri3
12-02-2013, 10:51 PM
Thats where we do most of our boating! DL isn't a great lake for boarding or surfing, shallow in some parts and way to many boats, not out on that lake during the week tho.

Jer119
12-02-2013, 11:34 PM
Thats where we do most of our boating! DL isn't a great lake for boarding or surfing, shallow in some parts and way to many boats, not out on that lake during the week tho.

Where is it you do most of your boating? I haven't been to DL enough to know anything about what lakes to hit or not.

Jer119
12-03-2013, 10:13 AM
OK, just got off the phone with Spencer.... I can check off 1100lb bags for the rear, and whatever they come with to hook up. He recommended using the stock bags for up front, so I got whatever was needed for that too. All I really did was listen to him tell me what I needed and I just said "OK". HAHA!! What a salesman. I also had him hook me up with a Ronix surfboard. Not a bad start to the week.

The new purchases shipped out yesterday, so that's pretty cool. I debated ordering anything this early cause I didn't want to have to play the waiting game the rest of the winter. The good thing is, I'll be able to take a break from my other projects to work on the boat. Not such a bad thing.

moombadaze
12-03-2013, 04:04 PM
garage boating time

Henri3
12-03-2013, 11:42 PM
Lake Maud, 15 minutes from DL, smaller lake where we have a cabin but friends have a nice place on DL so thats where we spend the 4th and we fest weekend, usually to be with all of the people, kind of the opposite when you want to board.

86century
12-05-2013, 09:47 PM
+1 more on the prop
I did the ballast and perfect pass first. I should have done the prop first with basically the same prop you have the perfect pass is all but worthless with the ballast full and four or five people in the boat.

EricU
12-05-2013, 10:03 PM
+1 more on the prop
I did the ballast and perfect pass first. I should have done the prop first with basically the same prop you have the perfect pass is all but worthless with the ballast full and four or five people in the boat.

That ACME 1617 (https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?23337-ACME-1617-400-shipping) in the classifieds section is an awesome prop for the Moombas! and the wife will LOVE unwrapping it under the Christmas tree!!!

Jer119
12-17-2013, 10:17 AM
I got my goodies and have them in the shop warming up for the install. Took the old bags out and cleaned the rear compartments. Been working on the 70 4x4, so the boat is next in line.
I did get a new prop, do I need a puller/installer, or can a guy use a mallet to tap it off? I haven't really looked at it yet, so figured I'd ask. I'll be in the shop most of the day, so maybe I'll do a little work on the boat.
I also picked up a new wakesurf board. I was looking to see how it fit in the racks, but seems like its real tight. Are there separate racks for a board like this? Might be a dumb question as I probably could of scoured the internet. Nah, I'll ask you guys instead. Haha.

bergermaister
12-17-2013, 11:31 AM
Prop puller is best. Seeing as you're a car guy if you have a big set of gear pullers you could probably accomplish it. I've been successful with that route, a block of wood, and evenly spaced mallet hits to help budge it.

Just leave the nut on the end of the shaft so when the prop breaks free it doesn't try to jump off and bite you!

EricU
12-17-2013, 02:50 PM
Prop puller is best....

Agreed, get a prop puller (http://www.wakemakers.com/acme-c-clamp-prop-puller.html), they are easy to use, then throw it and your old prop in the truck when you go to the river/lake along with the short 2x4, crescent wrench, new cotter pin, key and a new nut (http://www.wakemakers.com/prop-hardware-kit.html). Change the first one in the comfort of your driveway and you will be ready for the end of the season, low water prop benders!

Either Wakemakers or MLA can hook you up.

motosno963
01-24-2014, 02:27 PM
i used a small plumbers torch and a piece of wood to pop my prop off, but id get a puller. i have also been to wakemakers for parts. i also did a sound system upgrade. i went with exile and polk audio. next on my list is carpet and an FAE