PDA

View Full Version : engine revs but transmission no-go?

gregski
11-12-2013, 03:41 AM
So on my first day out with the new boat, we launched, the engine started just fine but the boat wouldn't go anywhere. The engine rev'ed as though it were in neutral. After a quick panic, someone says "you should look at the engine". I'm mechanically inclined but this sounded stupid but I had a boat full of people becoming disappointed and I needed to make some sort of effort. I opened the hatch and immediately saw the problem.

During the 450 mile ride home, the transmission cable fell out of the bracket. Without holding the cable sheath in a fixed place, obviously nothing would happen. I just stuck the cable back in place and we were underway.

One question: can someone else check theirs? I'm surprised that this cable is just resting/wedged into a fork mount. Is there no positive lock for the mounting?

If that's the case, keep this in mind if your engine starts but you can't get it into gear.

kevkev
11-12-2013, 10:39 AM
There should be a metal arm that swivels around and holds it in place once the cable is in the slot. At least that's how mine are held on. I can't tell if yours has it or not by the pic.

rdlangston13
11-12-2013, 11:28 AM
Zip tie should make an easy fix! I fix a cable linkage on a jeep transfer case with a zip tie once

Sent from my iPhone

gregski
11-12-2013, 12:19 PM
There should be a metal arm that swivels around and holds it in place once the cable is in the slot. At least that's how mine are held on. I can't tell if yours has it or not by the pic.
Good to know. There definitely wasn't anything like that on the transmission cable but looking at the picture, I think I see something like that on the throttle cable. I'll have to investigate it further.