PDA

View Full Version : Removing gas

german88
11-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Any ideas on how to remove 40 gallons of gas from the tank on my 2012 Mojo? Can't seam to locate a good siphon anywhere. Not sure if there is a tank drain ?

saskie99
11-05-2013, 01:25 PM
i would get a siphon hose, or a fluid extractor, I have used a a 12 volt pump with a small hose.

bergermaister
11-05-2013, 01:42 PM
Round up a couple diehard buddies, case of beer, surfboards, dry suit....

wolfeman131
11-05-2013, 02:07 PM

agreed.

why do you want/need to remove all that gas?

Wax
11-05-2013, 02:32 PM
Best option...the jiggler!

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?23219-Helps-with-the-chore-of-transferring-fuel

If you're doing it for winterization...don't. Fill up the tank and put marine Sta-bil in it that has ethanol treatment.

MLA
11-05-2013, 03:08 PM
That Jiggler is da bomb!

I know people hate to have a question answered with a questions, but what is the need to remove the gas? If its for winter storage, then add some layup treatment (think ethanol), run the engine for a few minutes, then be at ease for the winter, it will be fine.

german88
11-05-2013, 03:17 PM
I guess I'm over thinking it then. I've added the marine version of Stabil and ran it for 10/15 minutes. Just seemed like a better way to go would be to circulate the stabil gas through the motor and then get the old gas out of the tank and refill with fresh in May...

Wax
11-05-2013, 05:43 PM
I guess I'm over thinking it then. I've added the marine version of Stabil and ran it for 10/15 minutes. Just seemed like a better way to go would be to circulate the stabil gas through the motor and then get the old gas out of the tank and refill with fresh in May...

That's absolutely plenty. It's not old gas in the tank, it's fresh gas now and sta-bil will keep it fresh. You want to have your tank at least 95% full for winterization to prevent moisture from building up in the tank. Ethanol absorbs moisture, but the sta-bil with ethanol treatment prevents that. Some people drain their tanks and have no issues, but the majority of people will tell you to have it full for storage with a gas treatment.

996scott
11-05-2013, 10:28 PM

This:smile:

DOCDRS
11-05-2013, 11:06 PM
The more stabil you use the longer it will stay fresh

zabooda
11-06-2013, 01:49 AM
Is there a line off the fuel pump and run the pump and collect the gas into gas cans? I've seen too many problems with ethanol gas with or without an additive. Even the non-ethanol gas looks bad when I pump it out in the spring.

KSmith
11-06-2013, 08:41 AM
The more stabil you use the longer it will stay fresh

Hey Doc I have a Stabil question for you. How long does Stabil stay usable? I have a bottle from a couple years ago I found in the shed, unopened, is it any good?

Wax
11-06-2013, 09:58 AM
Hey Doc I have a Stabil question for you. How long does Stabil stay usable? I have a bottle from a couple years ago I found in the shed, unopened, is it any good?

2 years is the shelf life.

Wax
11-06-2013, 10:01 AM
Oh and more sta-bil won't hurt anything. I use half of the bottle that's meant for 80 gallons (since my tank is 40), only because I have other machines to put it in. You can put that entire bottle in if you're worried about it.

viking
11-06-2013, 05:18 PM

Best answer YET. (still laughing)

DOCDRS
11-09-2013, 11:12 AM

Yes it is still good if the colour has not changed to a dark red or brown and even then it just may not be as effective. An open ended bottle of stabil has a shelf life or rather best before date of 2 years. They have put limits on this stuff for legal reasons otherwise they would be open to a ton of lawsuits. But suffice to say if it's pink it's good the marine being green is prob similar as in try to use it within 2 years of opening.

Some of the feedback is crazy with guys saying up to 7 years. It's good stuff jmo