PDA

View Full Version : Battery Wiring?

radryan
02-20-2006, 10:18 PM
Anybody know if the 05 Mobius LSV has separate wiring connections for the Starter and then the rest of the electrical (accessories and the such)? I am looking at adding a second battery and need to know to help determine if I go with a switch and an isolator or just a switch.

Or the voltage sensor relay from skiers choice, anyone know how that works, is it the same as a combiner? And how much it costs?

lowdrag
02-21-2006, 02:07 AM
Yes, I believe the wiring for the engine starter is separate from the accesories. If I remember correctly from doing this myself. There is a circuit breaker mounted near the battery. If you trip the breaker none of the accessories will work but you can still turn the motor over with the key. Try it once for yourself to make sure.

radryan
02-25-2006, 04:03 AM
Cool thanks! I will check it out.

Anyone think of any reason not to use just an isolator only? Besides being able to parallel both batteries with a switch for emergencies.

Swairlines
02-26-2006, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by radryan

Anybody know if the 05 Mobius LSV has separate wiring connections for the Starter and then the rest of the electrical (accessories and the such)? I am looking at adding a second battery and need to know to help determine if I go with a switch and an isolator or just a switch.

Or the voltage sensor relay from skiers choice, anyone know how that works, is it the same as a combiner? And how much it costs?

I, too, am interested in adding a second battery. My custom built light bar (a DIY project) alone pulls 28 amps for the 6 lights facing forward. The remaining 4 rear facing lights pull an additional 19 amps. So if I run both sets of lights at the same time I'm pulling 47 amps just for lights. Add an additional 10 (or so) just to run the engine and then turn on the stereo and I'm pulling in excess of 100 amps.

So a high output alternator will be added. And since I'm considering a 2nd battery setup I'm asking anyone if they have the exact list of parts which will be needed. Please advise soonest. Thank you.

Respectfully,

Jeff

Nafplio
02-26-2006, 11:24 PM
I checked this out a month or so ago. Did a search for "perko switch" or "dual battery setup". I took the post's advice and called A. Cooper of Scier's Choice. He gave me the required part #'s. I had to call a dealer to get prices. The relay was $160 and the 00 cables were expensive as well. So far, I've ordered the Perko switch and a battery bucket. I'll get cables and a second battery from local stores when it warms up a bit. I'm gonna use just the Perko switch like on my previous boat. For high demand, I think you'd probably want the added protection of an isolator.