PDA

View Full Version : How to garage my futur Mojo ?

Sampp1963
10-31-2013, 04:32 PM
I might be changing my 2006 outback for a 2014 Mojo next summer. I would still love to garage the boat at my house.

My garage door is 6’11’’. My dealer is telling me that the max height of the windshield is 6’11” also……I think I can still do it by lowering the trailer hand, deflating tire etc etc… Since my boat is at the lake all summer long and I have to garage it only at the beginning and end of the season, I don’t mind the trouble…..

But my dealer is also telling me that the tower will be the problem, because with the tower down, it’s 6’’ over the height of the windshield.

So, how hard is it to remove the tower? Anyone has done it ? I think there is a wire (and speakers wires) inside the tower and they go trough the hull..

Thanks.

KG's Supra24
10-31-2013, 05:46 PM
So, how hard is it to remove the tower? Anyone has done it ? I think there is a wire (and speakers wires) inside the tower and they go trough the hull..

Thanks.

http://i.imgur.com/GU0Ke.gif

wolfeman131
10-31-2013, 05:54 PM
Sell your Outback to Sled for a stupid profit (he's desperate) and use the proceeds to put in a larger garage door.

bergermaister
10-31-2013, 06:32 PM
I like KG's answer.

Didn't Daze extend/adjust his cables to lower the tower further for this very reason?

rbeckner27
10-31-2013, 09:10 PM
I just bought a mojo and we can fit it in our garage with a 6-11 door with tower and not deflating the tires on the two axle trailer. The key is lowering the tongue with a drop hitch. Also when doing so and removing the board racks the highest point becomes the tow swivel on the tower which will clear the door.
So you just remove the board racks with three bolts, swith trailer to drop hitch and back in and I havent had a problem yet. Also it helps to have someone stand in the boat as comin through the door just to watch and push tower down just a tad if needed

Sampp1963
10-31-2013, 10:21 PM
KG's.....was my thread that bad???

Sampp1963
10-31-2013, 10:25 PM
Thanks Rusty...

mcdye
11-01-2013, 08:19 AM
Adding to the drop hitch, you can lower tower more by tilting the steering wheel all the way down, then adjust the holding cable so the tower is about .25 inch above the wheel. I know for fact this can be on done a 1 5/8 tower, have not tested yet on a 2 3/8 (HD) tower.

KG's Supra24
11-01-2013, 09:14 AM
KG's.....was my thread that bad???

No, not at all. Was just the first thing that came to mind when you mentioned taking the tower off. You wouldn't want to go through that to store the boat in the garage, IMO. That would be a lot of work.

Hopefully you can squeeze her in there with the drop hitch.

Sampp1963
11-01-2013, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the advice KG...so removing the tower is not an option.

And Rusty, do you have the max height of your boat the trailer? And what kind of suspension on the trailer? My dealer is also telling me that I could go for a diferent type of trailer to lower the boat

And ajusting the holding tower is à good idea also

rbeckner27
11-01-2013, 10:42 AM
I will try to get the exact measurement for you this weekend, but I clear the door buy about 1/2" I believe.

As for the trailer I believe it is the leaf spring design, but I will check that too. When I got my boat there was some discussion on here as to whether there was any difference between the torsion and leaf spring design and I think the general agreement was there wasn't much difference between the overall ride height.

I will look at the tower too and see if adjusting the retaining cable will allow for any further drop.

Like I said I was very skeptical when we bought ours but I was very pleased with how easily it went in with just removing the board racks and changing to a drop hitch once back at the house. The only thing about changing to a drop hitch is the Fulton dolly will not go low enough to get the tongue onto the drop hitch so I have to use a jack to change hitches. Currently I am looking into changing the factory dolly thing and either getting one with a smaller wheel or just a pedestal one so I don't have to go get the jack out of the garage.

moombadaze
11-01-2013, 01:30 PM
I did adjust the retaining cable to lower my tower down, pretty simple job once you know how.

for the winter storage i wonder if the removal of the tower could be just about as easy as messing around with swapping hitch balls, dealing with a floor jack and then the tower is out of the way for access into the boat while garaged.

mcdye
11-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Ifor the winter storage i wonder if the removal of the tower could be just about as easy as messing around with swapping hitch balls, dealing with a floor jack and then the tower is out of the way for access into the boat while garaged.

Nota, it takes about 15 min or less to swap hitch it in.

Cigars n scotch
11-01-2013, 01:51 PM
Here's a possible solution since you don't need to get it in/out each time.

11" inch drop hitch from harbor freight ($26)
Floor jack to lower the tongue enough to get it on the hitch ball.

Is your garage deep enough? Taking swim platform off?

sandm
11-01-2013, 03:57 PM
I did adjust the retaining cable to lower my tower down, pretty simple job once you know how.

for the winter storage i wonder if the removal of the tower could be just about as easy as messing around with swapping hitch balls, dealing with a floor jack and then the tower is out of the way for access into the boat while garaged.

I'd be concerned taking the tower on and off from a strength standpoint. The less I have to tighten/loosen bolts set on the 'glas the better imo. I see cracks setting in.

moombadaze
11-01-2013, 04:37 PM
I'd be concerned taking the tower on and off from a strength standpoint. The less I have to tighten/loosen bolts set on the 'glas the better imo. I see cracks setting in.

i was thinking about just undoing the 2 pivot point bolts, not the base. sorry for not being so clear as i was just thinking out loud

Sampp1963
11-01-2013, 07:20 PM
I was also thinking about the pivot bolts when I was thinking of removing the tower.

And Rusty, thanks for the effort of measuring the boat...

In fact, thanks all for the advices....I really love this forum....and I can pratice my english!!!

And Cigars, my garage is more then deep enough..

Cigars n scotch
11-03-2013, 06:08 PM
Hey it took me about 8 minutes to do the whole drop hitch and floor jack. IMO way easier and less time that actually taking the tower off.

Sampp1963
11-17-2013, 07:51 PM
Anyone who has a Mojo could mesure how high is the boat on the trailer?

Thanks