PDA

View Full Version : Customizing with LEDs

Swairlines
02-20-2006, 12:00 PM
Hello All,

I've been doing some research online about jumping into another customizing project. After I hand-built my lightbar I'm thinking about adding some red LEDs for after-dark partying.

I specifically mean that I wish to add some red LEDs in order to have some ambient light inside the boat after sunset. I was thinking about installing one set of LEDs up in the open bow on the underside of the seat cushion near the speakers on each side. I would also want to install some LEDs under the gunnel on each side in the main occupant seating area. Since the cut-outs on each side of the boat are rather long I would probably install at least 2 sets of LEDs under each gunnel (1 mounted at the most foreward position and 1 at the most aft position).

I'm fairly handy with Craftsman tools so I'm not looking for exact or detailed instructions on how to install LEDs. I'm just looking for people who have installed their own LEDs and to get their opinions on mounting locations, what worked for them (what didnt work for them), LED product suggestions, and some pics of their setup (if possible).

So if you have any experience, suggestions, or ideas please belly up to the keyboard and type away. Thanks.

Jeff
Tampa, FL

lowdrag
02-20-2006, 05:14 PM
Go check out wakeboarder.com and do a search. I know this topic has been covered quite a bit there and a lot of guys have posted some pretty cool pics that could give you some idea on what you might want to do.

Swairlines
02-20-2006, 07:02 PM
Been there, Done that..

Just wanted to know if anyone here has done something like this...

Time will tell...

Rugburn
02-21-2006, 01:14 PM
The previous owner of my boat added one green 12" long neon tube under each side near the speakers and cup holders. He added another tucked under the drivers dash. The green is the perfect match to the color of the dash lights. Each neon is protected by a plastic tube (these are meant to be mounted under a car so they are pretty tough). They are wired to go on when you turn on the boat lights. I think they look really cool since they match the color of the dash lights. They give plenty of light at night inside the boat without giving you night blindness. Im working on adding some lights up front near the pair of cup holders.

brianw21
02-24-2006, 07:11 PM
I'm going to be doing the same thing this spring.

I plan on using pieces from this place:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=ACCENTS

I will be using the ALM-OB and ALM-RB modules. I want to also rig up some pressure switches to light some of the storage compartments that are a PITA during the day. It's inexpensive.

I was also thinking of stringing some of thier sealed accent light strings together under the swim platform.

Brian

Swairlines
02-24-2006, 09:40 PM
BrianW21,

Here's what I found in my search...

http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/CTGY/wakeboard_boat_led_lighting

They are a little expensive but I figure, "What the heck, you only live once..." I spoke to Jason and he told me what the kit includes. Here it is:

(2) 4 LED courtesy lights
(2) 6 LED courtesy lights
(2) 3 LED step lights
(2) 5 LED step lights
(2) 3 LED Flex strips
(2) 6 LED flex strips

Jason said that this wiring harness is plug & play. It has some type of plug-in connections for each of the LED lights. Jason also stated that you can add more LEDs easily due to the modular plug & play design.

So, at this point I'm seriously considering. Might be a while before I buy cause I'm putting myself through Private Pilot Lessons right now.

Jeff