PDA

View Full Version : Trailer/Boat on blocks during winter??

tgoody14
10-21-2013, 09:48 AM
Have any of you thought about jacking up the trailer and resting it on blocks during the winter offseason months to help relieve some stress on the tires!? I've been seriously contemplating this thinking it will help the tires last longer...

blackout_58
10-21-2013, 10:00 AM
I will be doing this in the next few weeks

Boonejeepin
10-21-2013, 05:25 PM
I don't think it would hurt a thing.

drb59
10-21-2013, 05:31 PM
I have a tandem trailer and would assume I would need to block both axles?

Boonejeepin
10-21-2013, 09:30 PM
I have a tandem trailer and would assume I would need to block both axles?

That is what I would do.

drb59
10-21-2013, 09:54 PM
I have one set so will go buy another as I think it will save my tires

mnpracing
10-22-2013, 04:25 PM
block under the axles or trailer frame rails?

drb59
10-23-2013, 09:49 AM
I was going to block the axles. Are you thinking you could just place on the frame?

bergermaister
10-23-2013, 01:37 PM
I'd suggest just under the axles if you're going to. Had mine blocked up on the frame while doing suspension repairs and spring replacement. Gotta have it up pretty high = more tipsy.

I'm curious what benefit having the weight off them will bring. I know a lot of RV'ers put covers over their tires to keep them out of the elements - both sun and rain. Protects the sidewalls, prolongs the life.

mnpracing
10-23-2013, 03:43 PM
I was going to block the axles. Are you thinking you could just place on the frame?

This is probably a silly thought, I just didn't know if the axle body/frame itself could take the weight or if it might somehow deform the axle. I'm guessing it wouldn't, but that's one of those things that I would surprise me AFTER I make the mistake :)

on my old trailer I blocked the trailer frame itself to replace an axle, but as bergermeister points out, you need about 21" or so to get it off the ground.

bergermaister
10-24-2013, 03:33 PM
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTrailerTireFacts.dos

- The ideal storage for trailer tires is in a cool, dark garage at maximum inflation.
- Use tire covers to protect the tires from direct sunlight.
- Use thin plywood sections between the tire and the pavement.
- For long term storage, put the trailer on blocks to take the weight off the tires. Then lower the air pressure and cover the tires to protect them from direct sunlight.

So what's the definition of "long term" ??

drb59
10-24-2013, 04:38 PM
Storing up here in Canada would definitely fit the definition of long term!!! We store our boats longer than the season we get to use them.

mnpracing
10-25-2013, 03:23 PM
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTrailerTireFacts.dos

- The ideal storage for trailer tires is in a cool, dark garage at maximum inflation.
- For long term storage, put the trailer on blocks to take the weight off the tires. Then lower the air pressure and cover the tires to protect them from direct sunlight.

so which do you do, max inflation or lower the pressure?

bergermaister
10-25-2013, 03:45 PM
Me? Neither so far, but we have pretty mild winters and summers for the most part.

However I just dropped $500 on tires this summer so the idea of making them last a long time caught me eye.

They're saying max air if they're sitting with weight on them. If no weight (blocked up) then lower the air.

moombadaze
10-26-2013, 02:54 PM

Florida version, 4 months

MThomas5000
11-02-2013, 03:47 PM
Blocking the axles up might also help your bearings. Someone once told me that the rollers in a bearing can wear grooves in the races, especially with added forces- wind, snow load and such. Probably best to put new bearing in every year, but I know how that goes.

Matt

996scott
11-05-2013, 11:04 PM
This is a common topic on car forums where people store their cars for the winter. The general consensus is to inflate to max pressure and not put it up on blocks.