PDA

View Full Version : Learn from my mistakes

Cigars n scotch
10-15-2013, 03:32 PM
I want to share a couple things with our community so that others don't run into the same circumstances as I did this past weekend. One of them concerns a minor setback while the other (though it turned out better than what COULD have happened) was a major lapse in intelligent thinking and could have been a devastating accident.

So first, I'll start with the major incident as it relates to my minor setback. We recently closed on a new house and have been scrambling around for the past 4 days moving stuff. So my mind was all over the place and I was rushing everything that I was doing, including going to pick up the boat at our old place to bring it over to the new home and see the moment of truth (will it fit in the garage?).

I am usually a stickler about checking things, but again my mind was all over. Well I hooked the boat up, pulled away and had to spin it around this curb island and as I did I noticed a weird feeling in the pull of the trailer but kept going and proceeded out of the complex. I came to an intersection still in the complex to make a left and as I slowed down, THATS when I noticed what was wrong. How you may ask? Well because I saw my boat in my turn mirror keep moving forward but my truck was stopped. Guess what I did? Like a dope I didn't go through my mental checklist. I forgot the pin for the swinging tongue and the tongue jackknifed and slid underneath my rear bumper. WHOA! I am freaking out now! Jump out, put the trailer jack down (thankfully have the Fulton dual wheel) and tried to push it back so I could drop the pin in. Yeah right!! So then I hope back into my truck and try to pull forward to get it straight, and the boat comes forward again as the road slightly sloped down! What a fiasco! Now I pull forward some more and this time I am in the middle of the intersection blocking 4-5 cars who are watching this all unfold.

I finally was able to get it straight and the pin back in. Minor damage to my bumper and pushed the trailer light mount up and under (still worked though) and took a nice gouge out of my trailer tongue. So learn from my stupidity! No matter how much of a rush you are in, slow down and think about what you need to do. Always perform that mental checklist!!

It could have been real bad so I am glad it happened as slow speed in the complex.

Then I get the boat home and back it up only to find that it won't fit even after measuring. Height is short, I need another 3-4 inches because of garage door and cross section. I was totally deflated after this because one of my main requirements when house hunting was to find one with a garage big enough to store the boat.

I just ordered a MaxxTow Adjustable Height 10" drop hitch from etrailer.com to see if that would work, and it's back ordered so shipping witching 7 days! LoL! FML

So, measure once, measure twice, and measure some more to be sure!!!!

What a freaking weekend I had!

But we love our new house!!!

bergermaister
10-15-2013, 04:33 PM
Well like you said - could have been much worse. Definitely won't do that again. :(

Side story you should get a chuckle from: My last travel trailer. One of the last few trips of the year, headed home. Dump station was way too full so I thought "I'll just use the one at our storage facility after we get home". Got home, put everything away. Life is good.

3 weeks later I go to the storage to get something out of the trailer. Unlock and swing the door open. My nose hairs instantly singed, eyes burned and watered. Turned around and just about hurled on the running boards of the motorhome next to me.

Yeah, forgot to dump the 'FULL' blackwater tank.... and it got to stew in the trailer in nice hot weather for those 3 weeks. Another mistake you'll only make once in your life.

Cigars n scotch
10-15-2013, 04:52 PM
Berg that definitely did make me laugh! Thank you!!

I forgot to post pics of the clearance issue I had just for reference:
18656 starboard side
18660 port side

I am hoping this drop hitch works..

bergermaister
10-15-2013, 06:01 PM
Plan C - Notch it!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_EfEwntajJ3c/SVGpMyN0_UI/AAAAAAAABL8/Ex0oItFkSJg/s400/sawzall+hero.jpg

EricU
10-15-2013, 06:15 PM
...I am hoping this drop hitch works..

What is the drop hitch going to do? Haven't you already unhooked the boat and lowered the jack all the way down?

Your story is exactly why I always double check the hitch no matter who hooked it up, and I stop at the end of my long driveway, get out and check again before hitting the main roads. I also double check everything at the launch ramp parking to make sure no one has messed with the trailer.

Good thing the damage was minor!!

Cigars n scotch
10-15-2013, 08:52 PM
What is the drop hitch going to do? Haven't you already unhooked the boat and lowered the jack all the way down?

Well the drop hitch will lower the angle of the bow this hopefully also giving me a couple inches of clearance so those tower joints will fit. I have a tandem trailer and there's also a lip where the garage door seals so there is no unhooking the boat, lowering the trailer jack and pushing it in.

EricU
10-15-2013, 10:37 PM
...and there's also a lip where the garage door seals so there is no unhooking the boat, lowering the trailer jack and pushing it in.

I know all about that garage slab lip, it should be there. Mine has that also, but that is what all those teenagers are for!

Hope your hitch works out!

sandm
10-16-2013, 07:54 AM
must have 7ft doors.
looks like you are very close. worst case if you have some ceiling height, for a few g's, they can move the header up and put in a 8ft but give you a 7.5ft opening.

7ft doors should be outlawed :)

sucks on the bumper but you gave some commuters a good show. remember that next time you see someone having issues on the road. you can say I've been there ;)

trayson
10-16-2013, 12:57 PM
Or get a power trailer dolly.

http://www.powercaster.com/Products.html

http://www.powercaster.com/images/PC-3-72.jpg

Or have one built that looks like this:
http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr59/condronkr/trailerdolly.jpg

Wax
10-16-2013, 01:26 PM
I was totally deflated after this because one of my main requirements when house hunting was to find one with a garage big enough to store the boat.

I just ordered a MaxxTow Adjustable Height 10" drop hitch from etrailer.com to see if that would work, and it's back ordered so shipping witching 7 days! LoL! FML

Speaking of deflated...I guess others on here deflate their tires to fit into the garage?

As for hitch, why didn't you just go get the adjustable drop hitch from harbor freight for $25? Always in stock, and I'm not a big harbor freight guy or anything but it's a pretty dang good ball mount, I use it all the time now. 11" max drop.

mcdye
10-16-2013, 02:54 PM
Speaking of deflated...I guess others on here deflate their tires to fit into the garage?

As for hitch, why didn't you just go get the adjustable drop hitch from harbor freight for $25? Always in stock, and I'm not a big harbor freight guy or anything but it's a pretty dang good ball mount, I use it all the time now. 11" max drop.

I have used the HF version for the last 2 summers almost every weekend.... just for lowering to get the boat in and out of the garage.... no issues.

EricU
10-16-2013, 03:27 PM
I have always wanted one of those (well, not "always")

Who built that second one in the photo? I want to build one, what 12V dc motor is that?

Or get a power trailer dolly.

http://www.powercaster.com/Products.html

http://www.powercaster.com/images/PC-3-72.jpg

Or have one built that looks like this:
http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr59/condronkr/trailerdolly.jpg

trayson
10-16-2013, 03:32 PM
I have always wanted one of those (well, not "always")

Who built that second one in the photo? I want to build one, what 12V dc motor is that?

I found the pic on a thread talking about power trailer dollys. I don't know who made it, was a pic that someone found. As far as anyone could tell, the motor is a 12v ATV winch. So definitely wouldn't want long run times... Looks slick as hell though.

Cigars n scotch
10-16-2013, 03:33 PM

Didn't find it while searching so I am canceling my order and heading over after work. Thanks.

Wax
10-16-2013, 04:15 PM
Didn't find it while searching so I am canceling my order and heading over after work. Thanks.

Ahh. I have learned to always include them in my searches for stuff, because some of their prices on things are just unbeatably amazing, like this hitch. Any competition is at least 3x as much for a similar adjustable hitch. I don't think they always have the best quality stuff, but this seems to be a winner. I usually read the reviews online before I buy something, and there are many times I don't buy a harbor freight item if the reviews are bad, even if it's a lot cheaper than a name brand or something. This hitch had great reviews.

zabooda
10-16-2013, 04:31 PM
I spent two grand on a guest quad and it moves all of my trailers around at least on flat ground. BTW, the picture is not of my quad and only an example. I usually don't have a camera around when I moving my crap. I need a bigger lot.

yz 2smoke
10-16-2013, 04:44 PM
I use a skateboard to get my boat in the garage. It is a little sketchy but it works well.

parrothd
10-16-2013, 05:32 PM
That was me, it uses a small ATV winch motor..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2skM1YDDFa8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk now Free ('http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10')

trayson
10-16-2013, 05:43 PM
That was me, it uses a small ATV winch motor..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2skM1YDDFa8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk now Free ('http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10')

Well, I think it's badass. How does it work in practice? I would be curious to know how it does moving a boat on an upwards slanted driveway... or when off pavement. Love the idea though. nice fab skillz

parrothd
10-16-2013, 05:52 PM
Works only on flat or very slight inclines, no off roading.. :( The moomba weighs to much, the mover will lose traction and slip on grass or inclines. I'd look at an ATV or add a hitch to front of your truck if you need to off road..

It may work on small inclines, when I tried it the first time I think the trailer brakes where being engaged.. I was going to test with the lockout but keep forgetting.. Now that I have a wetslip I only use the mover 2, 3 times a year..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Worlds22SSV
10-17-2013, 11:05 AM
hard to tell from this picture but i have the same height garage....i took the trim piece off the top of the garage and had to make a 16" (i bought a 12" drop and added 4" to it)18668 drop hitch to clear a 7' door opening. it's not fun but i don't have to lower air pressure in the trailer or the truck.

chawk610
10-17-2013, 03:56 PM
I have to use an 8" drop hitch to back in. It clears by 1/2". It is funny when people freak out that haven't seen me back it in. They scramble around waving their arms screaming. I bet you will fit with a drop hitch. With my normal 2" drop it needed several inches to clear.

Cigars n scotch
10-20-2013, 03:32 PM
Well here's an update:

Bought that HF drop hitch and then realized I needed a way to get the trailer tongue down low enough onto the hitch ball because my Fulton doesn't lower enough, so I had to go out again and buy a 3 ton floor jack (also a great HF deal) and with that combination it fits! Wife has to hold up the garage door a bit but it works. I'll have to figure out the best placement and all but I still have to organize my garage first and build my workbench.

I am very happy I will be able to keep it in the garage from now on. I will be great to be able to work on the boat there and I have a Natural gas heater in there for any cool nights.

jpetty3023
10-20-2013, 03:56 PM
good deal, bet it's nice to have her home with you every night

Sent from my iP5s on an app called tapatalk 2

kaneboats
10-21-2013, 10:34 AM
You can usually adjust the garage door to open further at the top and get it up out of the doorway. Usually a flathead screwdriver on the side of the opener.