PDA

View Full Version : Do you carry a spare prop?

996scott
10-13-2013, 08:56 PM
Just wondering how many of you keep a spare with you on the boat just in case. I always did in my old I/O boats but a spare aluminum prop wasn't too expensive. I don't have one now but would feel more comfortable with an extra.

cornrickey
10-13-2013, 09:10 PM
Prop and puller. Either aren't very practical alone..

parrothd
10-13-2013, 09:31 PM
I keep a spare in my truck, would suck if you had to wait around for a repair, the prop repair shops are really busy during the summer. May take a few weeks.. upgrade to a better prop and keep the old one.. :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

BensonWdby
10-13-2013, 09:53 PM
Definitely want a spare prop - and a puller - and train yourself on how to use the puller - before you need it. It is nto complicated but it helps to understand the process if you ahve never done it before. Maybe not in the boat - - but in the truck. We live on lake so have one in garage.

EricU
10-14-2013, 12:51 AM
I sure do now after the low NorCal water level put a ding in my 1617.

I bought a new prop and puller (SOO Easy!! Just watch the videos), had the 1617 repaired by ACME and am now going to sell it as I went to a 14.5" diameter prop and am going to try a different one based on ACME's suggestion.

Don't forget to throw a short 2x4 in with the prop puller and grab an extra key and cotter pin.

sandm
10-14-2013, 05:23 AM
I don't carry one but have a spare. 5 minutes to the launch ramp so if I dinged a prop, either end of the day or a quick trip home depending on time.

patrick232
10-14-2013, 08:39 AM
I carry a OJ Just In Case set, keeps everything in one place. Pack it in the TV with the 4 way lung wrench and the jack.

moombadaze
10-14-2013, 10:16 AM
Prop tool kit in the boat, spare prop in the garage, local lake is sandy/muddy bottom so not to worried about it, but does have a few rocks around the ramp.

I do toss the spare prop in the truck when headed out of state for summver vacation boating trips.

Got my spare prop from a forum member on trade, stock prop for the 08 LSV's.

I did install it one time to see how it would work on my 13 LSV. Better top end speed and low end was not to terribly bad, so it would keep the vacation going if needed.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.---Wolfeism :D

5:00
10-14-2013, 11:05 AM
Got a spare after ripping one up on a rock. Had the old one repaired and kept it. Not on the boat right now but will probably be next year.
Don't know if it is any good to keep on the boat unless it can be replaced under water. Just thought of many times I have been miles away from the marina and would suck to have a prop strike.
It has saved a weekend having the spare there.

mmandley
10-14-2013, 12:56 PM
I started keeping a sprare after we upgraded the prop on the LSV.

Even now i have a have a spare for the Mojo.
I don't normally keep it with us at the local lake because we are only a half hour from home, and its pretty rare to see debris.

If i travel to any new lakes, or more then an hour from home i toss it in the back of the truck.

Mikey
10-14-2013, 08:44 PM
I have one that travels in the truck especially on longer trips. Would hate to lose more than a day do to not having it with me. I was told right when i bought the boat. That especially with inboards and the soft Nebral props. Its not a matter of IF/more a Matter of WHEN. So far so good,but i am prepared, with prop and puller.

wolfeman131
10-14-2013, 09:08 PM
Better to have and not need than to need and not have.---Wolfeism :D

Ahhhhh, you have remembered your lessons well, Grasshopper.

996scott
10-14-2013, 09:38 PM
I plan on getting an Acme #1433 to replace the stock one. I was going to sell the current one but I think I will probably keep it as a spare. So there is no way to change the prop while in the water, the boat has to be on the trailer right?

EricU
10-14-2013, 10:33 PM
...So there is no way to change the prop while in the water, the boat has to be on the trailer right?

I guess you could if there were NO other option, but how long would it take to get the boat back to wherever it is to get it out of the water? It would be a PITA

You can go pretty far with a bent/dinged prop (I know!)

Once out of the water, it should be less than half an hour to swap a prop. If you haven't done it before, I would suggest watching the WM/Youtube video and R&R one in the comfort of your own driveway (the beers are cheaper).

While at the lake, keep the spare prop, puller, crescent wrench, dykes and 2x4 all in the same place (or easy to find)

cab13367
10-15-2013, 03:03 PM
I plan on getting an Acme #1433 to replace the stock one. I was going to sell the current one but I think I will probably keep it as a spare. So there is no way to change the prop while in the water, the boat has to be on the trailer right?

I take a spare prop and leave it in the tow rig on out of town trips. Definitely a good idea to have a spare on a multi-day trip in case you ding your prop the first day.

You can change it on the water. You will need a block of wood to put between the bottom of the boat and the top of the prop to keep the prop shaft from rotating when you back out the prop nut. An extra pair of hands will definitely help as well as swim goggles since you will be doing all of it underwater.

EricU
10-15-2013, 03:36 PM
...You can change it on the water. You will need a block of wood to put between the bottom of the boat and the top of the prop to keep the prop shaft from rotating when you back out the prop nut. An extra pair of hands will definitely help as well as swim goggles since you will be doing all of it underwater.

I would take the 15 minutes to load the boat on a trailer. Dropping the nut in the water would just be more fun for the family.

cab13367
10-15-2013, 06:17 PM
I would take the 15 minutes to load the boat on a trailer. Dropping the nut in the water would just be more fun for the family.

Agreed. But if I was a long way from the boat ramp I would be tempted to try it. Which brings up a good point - if you are going to carry a spare prop on your boat, then you should also carry a spare prop nut and key.

bergermaister
10-15-2013, 06:26 PM
Just for fun.... Would you theoretically be attempting this near the shore or out in the middle?

EricU
10-15-2013, 06:33 PM
Just for fun.... Would you theoretically be attempting this near the shore or out in the middle?

I sure hope it would be near shore, I can just see a $700 prop plummeting 50 or more feet down to a nice muddy bottom!

cab13367
10-15-2013, 06:58 PM

I would definitely not be attempting this where I could not touch the bottom. Best case is that you could get to the shore with a gentle slope and could attempt this in chest deep water.

bergermaister
10-16-2013, 12:56 AM
LOL - sorry. Just had a mental picture in my head I had to fulfill of wrenches, nuts, props gliding down to a sandy/muddy tomb with some guy frantically swimming after them.

My buddy actually launched his boat one time without the prop on it. Pushed off the dock, stuck it in gear, wouldn't move. Wife was looking at him all in a panic. Started drifting away. He thought the tranny was shot. Got a wave runner to nudge him back over to the dock. About halfway there it dawned on him - the freshly repaired prop was sitting in a box in the back of his SUV up in the parking lot. Good thing too as I thought they (and all their damned kids) were going to have to join us and that would have made for 12 on the boat all day...

I suppose I would be wise to bring my old prop along on some of our week long trips. Starting next year anyway. Any one know where the best price is for a prop puller? Need to add that to my Christmas list.

yearround
10-16-2013, 07:12 PM
I always had a spare when we had an IO. when we first got the LSV, i did not have a prop. I think that Scott is planning a trip to Lake Powell, he lives in Utah and LP is almost the best place on the planet. so he knows that he may be hours from the trailer, there are always lots of rocks hiding just below the surface in the most unusual places. he is afraid that just when he starts surfing, his tweener child drives right where he said not to go and shred the prop on the rock that was 3' under water. now the prop is so badly damaged that he can't even pass the houseboats going up the channel.

ohh, oops, that is my story, my prop, i always carry a spare prop, puller, key (s) nut, etc. you will lose a key or two, probably not the nut, when you try to change in the water. some type of breathing aid would be good, don't suggest trying where you can't touch the bottom.

996scott
10-16-2013, 11:13 PM
Don't go and jinks me now yearround! that is exactly what I am afraid of as we are heading down to Lake Powell first thing tomorrow morning :) The kids are out of school for Fall bread so we are going to enjoy the lake with a couple other families. The weather will be a little on the cooler side but should be a great time. LP truely is about the greatest place on earth! A new prop is on Santa's list this Christmas....