PDA

View Full Version : Snap covers

DDL
10-11-2013, 06:28 PM
I know there have been lots of posts and discussions around travel covers and mooring covers. I've read them all and they've provided great information. I'm currently running a Rankin travel cover on my 2004 XLV and I'm really happy with it.

However, the marina we moor at for our vacations only has access to one side of the boat while in the slip. While the Rankin is a great travel cover, it's a PITA to use as a mooring cover. We faithfully cover the boat every night, so it's rock/paper/scissors on who gets the dreaded task of covering the boat.

Based on that, I was thinking about getting the 2-piece snap cover (for the bow and cockpit) to use for the night time covering. That would mean drilling a ton of holes for snaps, but it sure would be easier for covering while in the slip as well as covering the bow for those cooler mornings.

I would like to know what folks think about ordering a snap cover from Skiers Choice (if it's even available), having a local shop do it (I'm in Western Canada), or if anyone knows of a shop that might already have the template -which means I could purchase it and then apply snaps myself.

I appreciate any thoughts or comments.

maxpower220
10-11-2013, 10:06 PM
I sold my one piece cover and had a local shop do the 2 piece snap on. Whoa, it made the covering of the boat so much better. I highly recommend the snap on cover. Plus, you can leave the bow on when it's cooler or when you don't need to use the bow.

If you have a local person do it, have them put the snaps down on the sides. If they are too near the top, ropes, fingers, and feet can snag on them. I had a problem with the ski rope getting worn on the rear side snap because it was too high on the side.

New Guy
10-12-2013, 12:25 AM
I have decided that in my next boat I am going to do a snap cover but here is the kicker... Its going to be a full custom cover that snaps under the rub rail because I hate the way snaps destroy the clean look of the boat. You will still be able to cover it from the inside but it will still look great.

996scott
10-12-2013, 10:28 AM
I have had a couple of snap covers made for my old boats over the years, all by local companies and they were great. They have all fit really nice and tight and are great for towing. I would like to have one made for the lsv i just bought but can't bring myself to put snaps on a nice clean boat that doesn't already have them.

DDL
10-13-2013, 04:37 PM
Thanks everyone! I think the best route will be to source out a local shop and have them do it from scratch. Guaranteed good fit then! I appreciate the response and opinions.

sandm
10-14-2013, 05:32 AM
had a snap cover on the supra and compared to the ratchet towing cover I have on current boat, it was 100% easier to use, but I wouldn't want to tow with it. I didn't mind the look of the snaps however did have a few of them break/tear at the 4-5year mark on the cover. the couple times I had to put it on at the dock, it was a snap(haha)..

if you make it from scratch, pony up the extra cash for a quality fabric and if it was me, reinforce the snap points with some extra fabric. the rear ones are where mine started to tear out..

Wax
10-14-2013, 09:24 AM
The rear two snaps as sandm said are defintely the weak points. I have the factory 2 piece snap cover, and I'm assuming it's original from 06. Still in very good condition, a couple are starting to tear a little but it's holding up very well. After having both kinds, a snap cover is definitely the easiest to put on while moored (I do mine on my hoist every time I use the boat). I also keep the bow cover on pretty often, especially this late in the season. My kids actually like it, it's like their little tent lol.

New Guy, that's interesting about doing snaps under the rub rail, I don't think I've ever seen that. Honestly, I never even notice my snaps when the cover's off, they just kind of blend in to the white. If the snaps were under my rub rail and against my orange background, I would think they would be much more noticeable. Also, if you ever have your boat moored and it's touching anything with the rub rails (like bumpers), that will tear that cover off or tear the cover itself probably pretty easily. I keep my boat on a hoist, but there were a few times I docked my boat and tied it off for the night with the cover on and against bumpers so I wouldn't want my cover between the boat rub rail and the dock.

patrick232
10-14-2013, 09:30 AM
Wax, Mine are screwed in to the bottom side of the rub rail. Only notice them when washing the boat.

Wax
10-14-2013, 09:37 AM
Wax, Mine are screwed in to the bottom side of the rub rail. Only notice them when washing the boat.

Really? That is interesting, maybe I've seen a boat with them but just never noticed it. Have you ever had your boat tied up where the rub rail is touching anything? That's where I see the most issue. I know when I had my Supra and it had a mooring cover that came under the rub rail, I was very careful to make sure the rub rail wasn't going to hit anything while moored for fear of ripping up the cover.

trayson
10-14-2013, 01:08 PM
Really? That is interesting, maybe I've seen a boat with them but just never noticed it. Have you ever had your boat tied up where the rub rail is touching anything? That's where I see the most issue. I know when I had my Supra and it had a mooring cover that came under the rub rail, I was very careful to make sure the rub rail wasn't going to hit anything while moored for fear of ripping up the cover.

My mooring cover goes below the rub rail. I have cutouts that allow me to access my cleats, so if I was moored I would need to of course make sure my fenders were keeping the boat from ever touching the rub rail. Yeah, it might be possible that the cover would get sandwiched between the hull and the fender. but I bet I could make it so both the cover and rub rail never got touched on mine. That said, if someone had a snap cover that wrapped below the rub rail, would you have to put in access holes like mine to get to the cleats?

bergermaister
10-14-2013, 01:13 PM

That is the only way I'd consider doing it if you didn't already have them. I prefer the smooth clean lines. Way easier to clean/wax around too.