PDA

View Full Version : How long do you run your blower??

mikenehrkorn
10-10-2013, 11:28 AM
With this discussion on who does or doesn't run the motor when switching riders I thought I would ask another similar question -- how long do you run your blower?

I tend to let it run whenever we are on the boat unless anchored -- what does everyone else do?

I've heard some say that once the boat is underway and moving that all you are doing is wearing out the blower motor....

KG's Supra24
10-10-2013, 11:42 AM
Option 2 .... for the most part.

I'll admit it, though, I don't remember to run my blower at every start up. I can't be the only one.

mikenehrkorn
10-10-2013, 11:49 AM
I'll admit it, though, I don't remember to run my blower at every start up. I can't be the only one.

Anyone being honest would agree that we have all forgotten at one time or another. Definitely know that I have. I don't usually have any trouble remembering when jumping in the boat the first time each day (which is probably the most critical time), but as the day wears on that's when I tend to forget...

996scott
10-10-2013, 11:52 AM
I usually remember to do it at first start up of the day , but honestly I usually never do it again throughout the day.

blackout_58
10-10-2013, 12:28 PM
I have the wife run it before we get in the water for about 1min and then we don't typically run it again while out.

beat taco
10-10-2013, 12:49 PM
I haven't used my blower in 15 years. Except for three safety checks.

bergermaister
10-10-2013, 02:02 PM
I turned it on one time to prove to the Coast Guard patrol inspecting me that it worked.

Ok ok - usually just when I launch. Rarely throughout the day. If camping overnight, then again first start of the morning.

sandm
10-10-2013, 02:29 PM
you need another option-"it runs but I rarely touch it".
I used to run it all the time with the supra. typically every minute the boat was running. it seemed to help vaporlock on the hot days and really doesn't hurt anything.

current boat automagically runs for 5 minutes every time the key is cycled so I don't do anything when launching and cruising, but when surfing, I turn it on for the entire session. again due to the load the engine is under and the low speeds. it's cheap insurance to draw some of the heat out.

KG's Supra24
10-10-2013, 02:47 PM
current boat automagically runs for 5 minutes every time the key is cycled

Tige specific? Do other brands do this? Seems like a good idea

jmvotto
10-10-2013, 03:25 PM
until underway

Wax
10-10-2013, 03:49 PM
I turn it on every time before I start the boat, and I don't turn it off until it's back at the dock and the motor is shut off. Every now and then if I'm driving and we're under way I'll shut it off (back on when we stop), but that blower is pretty cheap and easy to replace so I won't be upset if it burns up and I have to replace it. Never had to replace it in my Launch after 7 years of doing the same thing. I don't really do it because I'm afraid my boat will blow up from fumes in the engine bay, but I figure it helps with overall air flow and doesn't hurt anything so why not...also now it's just habit.

sandm
10-10-2013, 05:38 PM
Tige specific? Do other brands do this? Seems like a good idea

don't know. on all with tigetouch. nice i'll say, but i'd give it all upfor good old fashioned switches... they almost never fail.

rdlangston13
10-10-2013, 06:03 PM
I think the new Supras with the Vision have a similar feature if I am not mistaken.

I run mine a the launch ramp when we are loading gear in the boat but once she is in the water under her own power it gets turned off and doesn't come back on unless she sits with the engine off for a prolonged period of time.

cab13367
10-10-2013, 07:35 PM
I turn it on for a few minutes at the ramp when we launch the boat then turn it off after that. If we are trying to teach someone to board or surf and I spend a lot of time at idle speed circling back to bring them the rope, then I will run it to draw some of the hot air out. Also, on hot days (over 85 or so), I will run it all the time that the engine is running and for about 5 minutes after I shut it off if we are going to float for a while. I have never had vapor lock following this process.

I think that if you are underway and it's not too hot outside, enough air is going through the engine compartment that the blower does not need to be on. But on a hot day or during times when you spend a lot of time at slow speeds, I think it's a good idea to run it to help evacuate the hot air.

rdlangston13
10-11-2013, 01:41 AM
I turn it on for a few minutes at the ramp when we launch the boat then turn it off after that. If we are trying to teach someone to board or surf and I spend a lot of time at idle speed circling back to bring them the rope, then I will run it to draw some of the hot air out. Also, on hot days (over 85 or so), I will run it all the time that the engine is running and for about 5 minutes after I shut it off if we are going to float for a while. I have never had vapor lock following this process.

I think that if you are underway and it's not too hot outside, enough air is going through the engine compartment that the blower does not need to be on. But on a hot day or during times when you spend a lot of time at slow speeds, I think it's a good idea to run it to help evacuate the hot air.

You said 85 is a hot day. Ha ha

Sent from my iPhone

mmandley
10-11-2013, 08:47 AM
Honestly i never run it.

It originally was for Carb engines because you get a lot of fumes and this was to clear the fumes out before you started so you wouldn't get an explosion.

They still put them on boats as a safety item but if they really wanted them to be used every time i would think they would connect the blower to the start switch and make them interlock together.

On my fuel injected boats i have never had a fuel smell.

I turn it on each year for inspection and pretty much after that it never gets turned on unless one of my buddies drives that has an older boat that needs it and its his habit.

rdlangston13
10-11-2013, 09:13 AM
Honestly i never run it.

It originally was for Carb engines because you get a lot of fumes and this was to clear the fumes out before you started so you wouldn't get an explosion.

They still put them on boats as a safety item but if they really wanted them to be used every time i would think they would connect the blower to the start switch and make them interlock together.

I turn it on each year for inspection and pretty much after that it never gets turned on unless one of my buddies drives that has an older boat that needs it and its his habit.

ding ding!

if it was meant to be run ALL the time then it would be wired to the ignition switch like the gauges or the fuel pump

jpetty3023
10-11-2013, 09:55 AM

Sent from my iPhone

bwahahaa right, 85 degrees is dang near a fire place day in TX

Sent from my iP5s on an app called tapatalk 2

cab13367
10-11-2013, 01:04 PM

LOL! Yeah, hot is a relative term :)

cab13367
10-11-2013, 01:06 PM
Honestly i never run it.

Agreed Mike. We do it out of habit at launch and I use it more to evacuate heat out of the engine compartment than fumes.

moombadaze
10-11-2013, 03:02 PM

thats our temps now and a couple nights ago while out riding my bike I could swear somebody had a fire going in there fireplace

moombadaze
10-11-2013, 03:06 PM
I always run the blower when launching, and try to turn it on when at idle speed, more for heat removal than anything.

dealer said they dont bother with the blowers on the fuel injected motors anymore either.