PDA

View Full Version : Surging RPMs

Wax
10-09-2013, 04:13 PM
The other day we were out surfing and towards the end my boat began surging slightly while at a constant speed, fluctuating a few hundred RPM up and down at a pretty steady frequency. Almost seemed like it was running out of gas (it wasn't). I thought maybe it was PP related at first, and I don't remember now if I tried turning off the PP and going manual but pretty sure I did and it still did the same thing. I'm thinking possibly fuel filter, or God forbid a fuel pump. Anything else simple I'm overlooking that could cause this?

bergermaister
10-09-2013, 04:28 PM
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?18425-Perfect-Pass-Surging

brain_rinse
10-09-2013, 05:36 PM
If you haven't swapped the fuel filter lately that would be a good first step. Might be a good idea to mix in some fuel additives in case you have some water in the tank.

maxpower220
10-09-2013, 09:47 PM
check tranny oil level

Wax
10-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Hmmmm...no problems last night at all. I'm wondering if my gas gauge is off a little? I added 5 gallons and had no problem at all. I'd be shocked if it was only due to low fuel.

Either way, I'll be going through everything during winterization in a few weeks and it'll have a new fuel filter regardless.

kaneboats
10-10-2013, 12:44 PM
Could be a load of sugar or some water dumped in there by those waterski guys you teed off.

Wax
10-10-2013, 03:51 PM
Could be a load of sugar or some water dumped in there by those waterski guys you teed off.

That is a good point...foul play wasn't in my mind until now

DOCDRS
10-10-2013, 08:37 PM
Actually at this time of the year with the change in humidity and the relative dew points , condensation may set up in your ecm and disrupt the electrical signals until the circuitry has dried out from heat dissipation of the current flow. Not uncommon in the early spring and late fall