PDA

View Full Version : Do you turn the boat off to switch riders?

KG's Supra24
10-09-2013, 10:57 AM
The wakeplate thread made me ponder ....

Do you shut off your boat when switching riders or let it idle? I've been out with guys that do both and was curious what the majority of the Moomba crew does.

For us, it depends on the occasions.

irish-racing
10-09-2013, 11:00 AM
I always do. Can't tell you why. Just a habit I picked up from riding with other people before I had a boat I guess.

jstenger
10-09-2013, 11:11 AM
I do. It is a habit I got from skiing most of my life behind outboards.

parrothd
10-09-2013, 12:15 PM
I try to switch off to save the hours/gas, but this year we used the heater continuously and whenever I start the boat it kills the radio which disconnects my bluetooth.. :confused:

I keep people moving so there's little down time, have the next person get ready while the current person is finishing their set, so they don't waste 5 minutes looking for their lifejacket.. I find we get more sets in with smooth water just need to remind them..:)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

bergermaister
10-09-2013, 12:23 PM
Depends. Who needs a beer?

Guys who ride a lot get ready quick so switching is fast. Kids and others - always shut it off.

Surfing is easy to switch while running.

yearround
10-09-2013, 12:28 PM
we turn it off more than leaving on, unless we are using the heater, then it stays on. as others a have mentioned, depends on the rider and how fast can they get ready.

mmandley
10-09-2013, 12:45 PM
We turn it off if we are changing wake boarders, or Surfers if they are not going to be ready right away. When we are surfing, if the next rider has their vest on and board out we will leave it running and switch out real fast.

Other wise we generally turn the engine off. No point in wasting fuel, and having all the exhaust at the rear of the boat.

sandm
10-09-2013, 01:08 PM
always switch it off. cousin taught me this when I went out with him on his boat for the first time. said he thought it saved a dozen hours or so a year. over 5 years, it adds up.

hate that the touchscreen doesn't remember what you were doing last. biggest frustration is having to remember to reset cruise when it's reset.

cab13367
10-09-2013, 01:52 PM
I ALWAYS shut it down when switching riders because I don't see any reason to leave the engine running, and plenty of reasons to shut it off, such as:

Peace of mind for the rider coming in that the prop is not turning.
Reduce the CO at the back of the boat. Who wants to breath CO while putting their board on and getting ready to ride?
Saves gas.
Saves hours on the boat.

Even if someone is using the heater, I still shut it off. My Perfect Pass powers back on and remembers the set speed before I key it off so no issues there. Just fire it up and go.

Al

SEARK
10-09-2013, 01:55 PM
I do. It is a habit I got from skiing most of my life behind outboards.

Same here.

trayson
10-09-2013, 02:00 PM
I try to switch off to save the hours/gas, but this year we used the heater continuously and whenever I start the boat it kills the radio which disconnects my bluetooth.. :confused:

I keep people moving so there's little down time, have the next person get ready while the current person is finishing their set, so they don't waste 5 minutes looking for their lifejacket.. I find we get more sets in with smooth water just need to remind them..:)

My audio is wired seperately from the ignition circuit. I would consider doing the same. I have a master switch next to my WS420 that powers down all my remote turn on leads.

I ALWAYS shut it down when switching riders because I don't see any reason to leave the engine running, and plenty of reasons to shut it off, such as:

Peace of mind for the rider coming in that the prop is not turning.
Reduce the CO at the back of the boat. Who wants to breath CO while putting their board on and getting ready to ride?
Saves gas.
Saves hours on the boat.

Even if someone is using the heater, I still shut it off. My Perfect Pass powers back on and remembers the set speed before I key it off so no issues there. Just fire it up and go.

Al

^^^^ pretty much this. we aren't generally in that much of a hurry to swap out riders. And likewise my PP remembers the last setting.

Wax
10-09-2013, 03:55 PM
I almost never do if I'm driving (I'm the "1" for almost never). However, if anybody else is in the driver seat (which is only when I ride), I shut the boat off every time for them. So as the question is posed, if I were driving all day then no I never really do unless we're adjusting a significant amount of ballast or ropes or something.

jester
10-09-2013, 06:41 PM
I Almost always shut mine off. The only time I do not is when I am picking up a rider really quickly because someone is going to hit us or we are going to hit the shore line.

This comes from learning to ski behind an outboard. There is also many things that can go wrong leaving the engine on. Someone could fall, hit this throttle and away you go. This has happened to me. First thought I had was I am glade the boat is off.

rdlangston13
10-09-2013, 08:18 PM
Depends on who just rode and who is riding next and how long we plan to take between riders. I have certain drivers that do not like to set Moomba Cruise so I will pull them first, set the cruise, and then when it is my turn I just leave the boat on so they don't have to worry about the cruise. If we had PP i know for sure we would turn it off more often than we do now but if I drive for 4-5 riders in a row then I usually turn it off, I have setting Moomba Cruise down to a science

jpetty3023
10-09-2013, 09:42 PM
turn it off each time. kids usually jump in for a swim while the riders are switching out. this gives me time to take a dip and catch a kiss from the wifey as I spend most of the day driving

Sent from my iP5s on an app called tapatalk 2

jmvotto
10-09-2013, 10:27 PM
Always on our boat, but when I'm driving for a bunch of beer guzzling old fart surfers on someone else's boat then probably not:rolleyes:

parrothd
10-09-2013, 10:47 PM
My audio is wired seperately from the ignition circuit. I would consider doing the same. I have a master switch next to my WS420 that powers down all my remote turn on leads.

^^^^ pretty much this. we aren't generally in that much of a hurry to swap out riders. And likewise my PP remembers the last setting.

It's on the list to be fixed, with the new slip I haven't had any time to do anything except use the boat..

deerfield
10-09-2013, 10:55 PM
Yes, always.

Ian Brantford
10-10-2013, 12:00 AM
Always. Clearly the risks due directly to propeller contact are far lower with an inboard and swim platform than OB and IO boats, but it's just not worth the risk of an unintended action.

uniwarking
10-10-2013, 12:50 AM
Mine engine always gets shut down, spent the last 6 years with an I/O and it's become habit. I also always have my blower running at the launch and while running... only gets shut down when we're on the hook. Easy things to help keep you and others safe...

Cigars n scotch
10-10-2013, 10:50 AM
I do everytime. We don't switch out like one after the other so there's usually some lag time and I do t want the rider inhaling exhaust fumes.

patrick232
10-11-2013, 09:06 AM
Depends who is riding and if they are ready. On a buddies boat we have switched surfers with out stopping the boat.

cab13367
10-11-2013, 01:10 PM
I almost never do if I'm driving (I'm the "1" for almost never). However, if anybody else is in the driver seat (which is only when I ride), I shut the boat off every time for them. So as the question is posed, if I were driving all day then no I never really do unless we're adjusting a significant amount of ballast or ropes or something.

Out of curioisity, why don't you shut it off?

Wax
10-11-2013, 01:51 PM
Out of curioisity, why don't you shut it off?

No particular reason, as long as I'm in the driver's seat. If I'm in the driver's seat, I'm completely in control and completely responsible for the boat, so I don't see the need to. No incidents ever.

If for any reason I leave the driver's seat, whether to change a rope or whatever, and there is a rider near the rear of the boat either on the boat or in the water, I shut it down. The only time I don't is when I'm the only one in the boat, and that's often since it's usually just me and my neighbor out. But when my kids are in the boat or anybody else, if I leave that drivers seat and somebody is on the back, it gets shut down and I even sometimes take the key out. My 2 year old son likes to turn the key and play with the throttle lol.

As the question was posed, I guess I took it as if I'm driving, which therefore my answer is almost never. I guess overall, it's some of both actually.

Sent from my fourth replacement Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 4...

5:00
10-11-2013, 02:45 PM
Always shut it down as soon as the skier is done and near the boat. Not so much for gas but I don't need anyone sucking in CO. We do what we can to minimize the time it takes to switch but still kill it.
The worst seems to be when you are approaching the swim platform and you suck in a lung full of exhaust.

rdlangston13
10-13-2013, 06:04 PM
My boat with the 325 and no cats must run pretty clean because I am often at the platform while it's running and I don't ever even notice the exhaust. Or maybe I've just inhaled so much my senses are numb haha. In any case exhaust fumes have never influenced my behavior as far as shutting the engine off.

Sent from my iPhone

kaneboats
10-15-2013, 09:35 AM
Just remember carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless and tasteless. We all have this notion that we can see and or smell exhaust fumes. But, carbon monoxide may be present even when there are no typical indications of exhaust gases present.

Wax
10-16-2013, 10:58 PM
I used to stand behind the busses in elementary school just to smell the diesel exhaust....mmmmmmmmm

New Guy
10-17-2013, 10:34 AM
I never shut down unless switching drivers. My crew is pretty proficient as far as switching riders so the slight time on the clock doesn't bother me. I find that the wear on the starter, ring gear, ect is not worth shutting it off.

With that said when we are going out wakeboarding there is somebody at the end of the line 90% of the time. The only time that we float is to fill ballast.

rdlangston13
10-18-2013, 02:20 PM
Just remember carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless and tasteless. We all have this notion that we can see and or smell exhaust fumes. But, carbon monoxide may be present even when there are no typical indications of exhaust gases present.

Yeah but you're putting out minimal exhaust at idle and it's getting very diluted very quickly as it immediately disperses into the atmosphere. It would take a long time for someone sitting in the swim platform to feel adverse affects of carbon monoxide. Now if you were in the water holding the grab rail with your face right at the gap between the platform and boat where the exhaust bubbles up you might get a high amount of CO.

Sent from my iPhone

moombabound
10-18-2013, 11:53 PM
Off. 100% of the time.
With the 325 no-CATS, you have to or you'll smog out anyone on the platform.
340 CATS is entirely different, but if I had that I'd still likely power off.

Very interesting mixture of opinions. I've never been with any driver that leaves it running, but sounds like some do.

Wax
10-19-2013, 02:00 PM
Off. 100% of the time.
With the 325 no-CATS, you have to or you'll smog out anyone on the platform.
340 CATS is entirely different, but if I had that I'd still likely power off.

Very interesting mixture of opinions. I've never been with any driver that leaves it running, but sounds like some do.

It is an interesting mix. To be honest, even though I don't, we all probably should because why add any risk at all I guess, even if minimal...this thread may make me think about it from now on.

I have the 325 no cats btw and have no such problem.

wolfeman131
10-19-2013, 03:14 PM
I shut the boat off as soon as the rider falls & make them swim to the boat. I find it to be a very motivational training technique.

sandm
10-19-2013, 08:07 PM
so something tells me if you wanna teach the kids a lesson for not cleaning their room, you "pretend" not to hear the boat tell you they fell???

what?? oh sorry, I was too busy opening this beer.. I'll stop now :)

rdlangston13
10-21-2013, 03:10 PM
I shut the boat off as soon as the rider falls & make them swim to the boat. I find it to be a very motivational training technique.

I think Cody would have been pretty pissed if we used this technique yesterday when he feel 100
Feet from a 10+ ft gator who was catching some sun...although he might have broken Michael phelps freestyle record

Sent from my iPhone