PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Moomba Automatic Wakeplate

jstenger
10-08-2013, 11:29 AM
Hey guys, just found this while doing some web surfing.

Moomba's New Automatic Wakeplate

September 19, 2013

Are you aware that the Moomba wakeplate system has some new user-friendly functionality for 2014? Moomba's wakeplate now has performance logic built into it, so that the driver does not have to adjust the plate as often. Actually, truth be told, the wakeplate itself is the same. The performance change is controlled by the new Digital Cruise Pro II system on the dash.

For starters, the wakeplate now automatically drops down to 100% deflection when you stop the boat. This helps the boat plane off faster when you go to accelerate again.
If your speed control is off, then the plate re-sets to a 50% deflection when the boat accelerates faster than 15 mph.
If your speed control is on, then the plate re-sets to a 50% delfection when you accelerate past 50% of your SET speed.
For instance, if you are wakeboarding at a 22 mph set speed, then the wakeplate will automatically re-set at 11 mph. If you are surfing at a 10 mph set speed, then it will reset at 5 mph.

The wakeplate function is not programmable, but it does have a memory. If the driver adjusts the wakeplate while operating the boat, say from 50% to 30%, then it will continue to re-set to 30% every time the boat accelerates, until the boat is keyed off. Once the boat is keyed off, then on again, it automatically resets to the 50% deflection level once it crosses the speed adjustment threshold.

This new auto wakeplate functionality applies to all M Series Moomba models: Mondo, Mobius LSV, and Mojo 2.5. It is not available on the Outback V.

For a little background information on wakeplate performance, the wakeplate has two main functions. 1) In the down position, it helps the boat get on plane faster. It does this by adding "Hook" to the back of the boat. Hook drives the nose of the boat down, and lifts the rear of the boat, resulting in faster acceleration. 2) Once the boat is on plane, the wakeplate give the user the ability to adjust the bow attitude of the boat. This also changes the shape of the wakes. Generally, when the wakeplate is up, the bow is up (stern is down). This tends to allow the wakes to come up to their maximum size, or steeper shaped on the ramp of the wake. When the wakeplate is down, the bow is down (stern is lifted). This tends to flatten or soften the wakes. It is best to be familiar with all of the variations of wakeplate settings of each Moomba model, and how they can change with various speeds, ballast, and people in the boat. if you ever experience a bouncing feeling in the bow (a condition called porpoising) a simple tap downward on the wakeplate will stop that. If it does not stop it, then there is too much weight towards the stern of the boat.

sandm
10-08-2013, 12:24 PM
The wakeplate function is not programmable, but it does have a memory. If the driver adjusts the wakeplate while operating the boat, say from 50% to 30%, then it will continue to re-set to 30% every time the boat accelerates, until the boat is keyed off. Once the boat is keyed off, then on again, it automatically resets to the 50% deflection level once it crosses the speed adjustment threshold.

never been a fan of too much technology in the boating environment other than perfect pass. what I see here is one more thing to remember to tell someone driving the boat when riders switch(if you're like us and turn the engine off during switchout to allow fresh beers/pee breaks/etc and avoid unneeded hours on the boat). We all know it's hard enough to find someone that can give you that "perfect" tow that you, as the boat owner, provide to everyone on board. one more thing to try and teach them.

Buckeye LSV
10-08-2013, 02:34 PM
Interesting?!?! Ordered our new 2014 LSV and never heard one word about "automatic wakeplate". Guess I need to make a phone call to the dealer, we are to pick it up next week. From JSTENGER description seems complicated and I think if I had the option I might have suck with the manual system. One reason we choose the Moomba line because it didn't have all the fancy automatic computer stuff to go bad. Will See???

Mobius22
10-08-2013, 03:10 PM
I think that description made it sound more complicated than it actually is. Supra has this system already and all it does is set the wakeplate all the way down so that you always plane off as fast as possible instead of you manually putting it down to plane off quicker. Just makes it easier to pull boarders with a lot of weight since the plate will automatically be in the correct starting position and then move into the 50% standard setting once you're on plane. Great new feature, IMO.

cab13367
10-08-2013, 03:14 PM
Hmm, I don't like this at all. When I am pulling an intermediate to advanced wakeboarder (or when surfing), I typically have the wakeplate all the way up to maximize the height of the wake. With this automatic system, the wakeplate will deploy to the all the way down position at the start (which is good) but will go up to the 50% position once you reach 50% of your set speed (which is not good). So now you have to remember to bring it the rest of the way up manually.

Also, when pulling a beginner boarder, I leave the wakeplate all the way down all the time. With this automated system, it will go halfway up so I would have to remember to put it back down.

Is there a way to turn off the automatic function?

jmvotto
10-08-2013, 03:32 PM
Hmm, I don't like this at all. When I am pulling an intermediate to advanced wakeboarder (or when surfing),

Take the battery out of its brain.....:rolleyes: hope there is a bypass.

moombadaze
10-08-2013, 04:18 PM
Interesting idea, would be better if it would reset to the previus position vrs half way. I do see the automatic advantage but think it would be a pain in actuall use.

KG's Supra24
10-08-2013, 09:01 PM
As mentioned, supra has been doing this for a while. Are we sure it doesn't set back to previous location? Guess that could be controlled with the vision system, though?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

rdlangston13
10-08-2013, 09:25 PM
Hmm, I don't like this at all. When I am pulling an intermediate to advanced wakeboarder (or when surfing), I typically have the wakeplate all the way up to maximize the height of the wake. With this automatic system, the wakeplate will deploy to the all the way down position at the start (which is good) but will go up to the 50% position once you reach 50% of your set speed (which is not good). So now you have to remember to bring it the rest of the way up manually.

Also, when pulling a beginner boarder, I leave the wakeplate all the way down all the time. With this automated system, it will go halfway up so I would have to remember to put it back down.

but you only have to adjust it manually the first pull of that KOOO cycle. all subsequent pulls without turning the engine off will automatically set the plate where YOU set it, not at 50%

rdlangston13
10-08-2013, 09:26 PM
" If the driver adjusts the wakeplate while operating the boat, say from 50% to 30%, then it will continue to re-set to 30% every time the boat accelerates, until the boat is keyed off."

read people ;)

KG's Supra24
10-08-2013, 10:17 PM
Oh that's even worse ... It sets itself back at 30% everytime.

:D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

cab13367
10-08-2013, 11:51 PM
" If the driver adjusts the wakeplate while operating the boat, say from 50% to 30%, then it will continue to re-set to 30% every time the boat accelerates, until the boat is keyed off."

read people ;)

I got that but I still have to manually adjust it the first time after I key it off. I think the wake plate is something that does not need to be automated. At least have the option to turn off the auto feature.

rdlangston13
10-08-2013, 11:55 PM
I dont think moving a wakeplate once you are up to speed once per rider is that much trouble. Especially when you look at the benefits of getting on plane faster. I move mine for each rider when they want different speeds to help maintain a clean wake anyways and the benefit of getting on plane faster and saving fuel far outweighs the "work" involved here IMO

cab13367
10-09-2013, 03:14 AM
I dont think moving a wakeplate once you are up to speed once per rider is that much trouble. Especially when you look at the benefits of getting on plane faster. I move mine for each rider when they want different speeds to help maintain a clean wake anyways and the benefit of getting on plane faster and saving fuel far outweighs the "work" involved here IMO

I agree it's not much trouble but it is one more thing to remember. I would like the wake plate to stay where I put it. Just make it defeatable so those that want to use it can and those that don't can shut it off. That's all I'm saying. Just like Perfect Pass can be turned off because sometimes, I don't want to use it.

sandm
10-09-2013, 08:10 AM
something that was manual became automated to make our lives easier and is now more manual. I know on my boat, wakeplate really helps or hurts the surfwave. last thing I want to remember is to remind the next driver where he needs to set it once we take off. with a boat that's propped right, how much gas/time is this really going to save getting up on plane? for the gallon or so each outing, I'll take manual please :)

rdlangston13
10-09-2013, 09:31 AM
so if it were like PP in that turning the key off did not erase the memory yall would like it more i take it?

jstenger
10-09-2013, 10:49 AM
so if it were like PP in that turning the key off did not erase the memory yall would like it more i take it?
Yes, as this now explains why I was having issues with it when I drove the Mondo. I would have the wakeplate set where I wanted it, but once I would shut the engine off, it would go back to the 50% spot. Frustraiting then, but now I know why.

snowboardcorey
10-09-2013, 11:09 AM
I noticed this feature when I had my buddies out surfing the Mondo, overall I really like the new function. Once we had the tab dialed for the amount of weight we were running I never had to adjust the tab again, until keying the boat off. I think once people use this feature they are really going to like it, especially when they have new/rookie drivers.

Personally I think this is an even better feature for those that wakeboard, like myself, and recreational skiers as it allows the boat to get on plane faster and they auto retracts the tab to your desired setting (say 0% for boarding and 50% for skiing).

bergermaister
10-09-2013, 04:42 PM
Wait a minute - you were out surfing the Mondo and didn't post a single pic or vid?

Where's that BAN button at...

snowboardcorey
10-09-2013, 06:21 PM
Come on now, I know better than that!

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?23165-Is-the-Mondo-the-right-boat-for-me

marman
10-09-2013, 10:23 PM
I am a happy new Mondo owner, actually picked up the boat last weekend. I really have to thank everyone on this forum because when researching boats, I could see there are a lot of happy Moomba owners on here! I am a newbie to Moomba, I traded in my Yamaha AR190, and our family absolutely loves the Mondo. I don't think my dealer knew about the auto wakeplate adjustment because they didn't tell me about it during the operations overview (I thought they went above and beyond in their operations demo of the boat out on the lake). I actually found something about it on the web Sunday night after my wife had a hard time understanding where to set it for me. I thought I had everything set where I wanted it and jumped in the water. Once behind the boat, I noticed the wake wasn't exactly the way I had set it. Knowing this would have saved some "heated" discussions on the ride home. :-( It's all good though. Just part of the learning curve I guess. Hopefully will have better luck next weekend, if it is warm enough, with setting everything up knowing about the auto adjustment feature. But, very happy with dealer, and did I say I love this boat?

Mobius22
10-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Awesome!!! Congrats on your Mondo and welcome to the forum!!

KG's Supra24
10-10-2013, 12:47 PM
What he meant to say was ...... Pics of the boat or it didn't happen :D

Congrats on the new boat!

marman
10-10-2013, 08:22 PM
Let's try it. Only one I have on way home from dealer.

wolfeman131
10-10-2013, 09:25 PM
Another happy Atlanta Marine customer!

jmvotto
10-10-2013, 10:04 PM
The marina is in a strip mall? Big city slickers... Congrats and welcome to the club.

moombadaze
10-11-2013, 07:01 AM
nicel looking mondo, love the colors for some reason :rolleyes:

sandm
10-11-2013, 07:28 AM
good lookin boat. love the tall freeboard sitting on the trailer.

FFEMTP933
10-11-2013, 12:43 PM

Congrats on the new boat. Love the blue!! And welcome aboard.

kaneboats
10-15-2013, 09:56 AM
Best looking Mondo I've seen yet. Congrats!

irish-racing
10-15-2013, 10:42 AM

Great looking boat. Nice colors. Welcome to the Forum :cool:

jpetty3023
10-15-2013, 10:16 PM
welcome, it's gonna be a long winter with that thing sitting in storage!!

Sent from my iP5s on an app called tapatalk 2

marman
10-16-2013, 09:24 PM
Thanks everyone for the compliments. Seeing the cooler temperatures in the forecast does make me sad :( I had the dealer order me a tower mirror from Samsonsports.com (they got a better deal than I could from the website). I had tower mirror on my Yamaha and I really missed it when pulling riders. Maybe we can get out and ride one more time to watch the leaves die and I can see how it works. LOL.

gisepi
07-09-2014, 03:53 PM
I want to revive this thread for a minute. Does anyone know if this feature is just a software upgrade for previous Mojo models?? if so i would be very interested in getting it. Thanks ahead of time.

cjazmyn1
08-05-2020, 10:47 AM
I am having issues with my 2021 supra, left side swell plate is locked down, I have done the key thing and turned everything off and on and it is still down. Appointment is scheduled with dealer. Any other suggestions to fix issue?

haknslash
08-05-2020, 02:19 PM
I am having issues with my 2021 supra, left side swell plate is locked down, I have done the key thing and turned everything off and on and it is still down. Appointment is scheduled with dealer. Any other suggestions to fix issue?

Have you turned off the switch, waiting for about 10 mins and turned it back on? That is what my dealer suggested and what it took for mine to correct themselves when my plates acted up.