PDA

View Full Version : new impeller install

saskie99
10-07-2013, 04:24 PM
On the weekend I was winterizing my boat and changing all of the fluids. I was waiting for the fluid extractor to suck up my oil and I thought maybe I should change my impeller................. I have done it in the past with mixed results.
I read some where that a guy had used WD40 to help with the process.
I removed the 4 brass bolts/screws and carefully removed the cover of the impeller, I then sprayed quiet a bit of WD40 into the impeller housing, they i "bumped the engine over a few turns" sprayed more wd40 and bumped engine over a few more turns. I used one "paint can opener" and it slid out right away.
When I inspected the impeller i was surprised I was missing a blade as it was only about 65 hours old.
I sprayed wd40 all over the new impeller and it slid right back into place.
Put cover back on and that was it.
total time 5 min, didnt even try to drink a beer while doing it.

Anyway I posted this because I have spent about 1.5 hours trying to get my impeller out with out wd40 and a very long time trying to get it back in.

Jer119
11-21-2013, 10:44 AM
I found an impeller in the "glove box", not sure if its new or not. I'll have to look into this and see if mine needs replacing. I don't even know where it's located yet. I'm still learning about the boat.

996scott
11-21-2013, 11:16 AM
I have always heard that it is better to replace the impeller in the spring instead of the winter so the new impeller isn't just sitting in the housing all winter. In fact I think as part of the winterization process they suggest you take the impeller out and leave it out until spring and then put it back in.

Jer119
11-21-2013, 02:40 PM
I have always heard that it is better to replace the impeller in the spring instead of the winter so the new impeller isn't just sitting in the housing all winter. In fact I think as part of the winterization process they suggest you take the impeller out and leave it out until spring and then put it back in.

hey, maybe that's why its in by the radio. I'll have to check it out. looks like I have some learning to do. Good thing I have the boat in my heated shop so I can tinker on it. Thanks for the info.

moombadaze
11-22-2013, 08:21 AM
total time 5 min, didnt even try to drink a beer while doing it.

That is just plain wrong, you need to go redo that job so its done correctly.

moombadaze
11-22-2013, 08:28 AM
I found an impeller in the "glove box", not sure if its new or not. I'll have to look into this and see if mine needs replacing. I don't even know where it's located yet. I'm still learning about the boat.

that is most likely a old impellar as most people will save the old impellar for a year or 2 as a spare or to give to another boater in need while out on the lake.

drb59
11-22-2013, 09:57 AM
Saskie99, go Riders go. Are you going to the Grey Cup on Sunday? Where are you located?

rca
11-22-2013, 10:21 AM
Any concerns with WD40 used for this? I tend to use it a lot but.....

sandm
11-22-2013, 12:17 PM
That is just plain wrong, you need to go redo that job so its done correctly.

as a penalty, re-doing 5 minute job should now take 3hrs and a 6pk to ensure the beer gods don't curse the job :)

saskie99
11-22-2013, 12:29 PM
as a penalty, re-doing 5 minute job should now take 3hrs and a 6pk to ensure the beer gods don't curse the job :)
Yes it should, but I was in a hurry! And yes GO RIDERS!! I am located in Melfort Saskatchewan.
I wouldnt be concerned about wd40, it is non corrosive so you shouldnt have any problems. I have read you are supposed to remove impeller at the end of the season but I fill my boat with antifreeze and I have been putting in new impeller at the end of almost every season and leaving it in with no problems.

saskie99
11-22-2013, 12:32 PM
and sorry not attending the big game! got work to do on the cottage!

drb59
11-22-2013, 01:30 PM
We have 5 couples partying hard in Saskatoon. I took Monday off to recover. I am at Emma Lake in the summer. Where is your cottage?

saskie99
11-22-2013, 01:40 PM
We have 5 couples partying hard in Saskatoon. I took Monday off to recover. I am at Emma Lake in the summer. Where is your cottage?
We are at Kipabiskau Regional Park. I know a few people up in that neck of the woods, my wife Aunt and Uncle Heather and Dan McAvoy have a cottage and Adam Balon and his wife.
I wish I could take monday off, cant do it, just gonna have to suffer through it!

ditchsnake
11-27-2013, 06:49 PM
How is sask now. I used to live in Moose jaw a long time ago. Actually grew up there

drb59
11-28-2013, 10:07 AM
Sask is experiencing an economic boom. Oil and gas, potash, uranium, farming and mining are all going strong. Lowest unemployment in the country. Other than the horrible winters, we do have awesome summers where the sun does not go down until 11 at night. I came back from Alberta and it has been a great move for my family. And we just won the Grey Cup on the weekend at home so that was a huge party.

saskie99
11-28-2013, 12:37 PM
Agreed, our winters are horrible but our summers are unbelievable, I am with in 2 hours driving of 12 lakes that are very very good for water sports on and to many to count for fishing ( no concrete boat launches) We have it good sparsely populated and tons of lakes. I am not joking when I say that I never have to fight to find my "line" when we ride. And if you like to golf, Sask leads the world in golf courses per capita.

Boatdrinks797
12-26-2013, 03:47 PM
Who's got the part or model number info for a new impeller? What's a good website to order from as well?

jmb
12-26-2013, 05:09 PM
Who's got the part or model number info for a new impeller? What's a good website to order from as well?

Discount inboard marine (skidim.com I believe). You will see Indmar motor and just select that. Go to cooling. It will be that impeller

Boatdrinks797
12-26-2013, 08:11 PM
awesome opossum.....do the old gaskets just fall out when you pop the cover? Or is that another 2-3 beer project if done correctly?

jmb
12-27-2013, 06:49 AM
awesome opossum.....do the old gaskets just fall out when you pop the cover? Or is that another 2-3 beer project if done correctly?

Gasket is just a rubber material. Comes right off. I have a.Direct Drive boat so impeller is easy to change. 10 minutes. Not so sure on a V-Drive.

moombadaze
12-27-2013, 08:39 AM
Gasket is just a rubber material. Comes right off. I have a.Direct Drive boat so impeller is easy to change. 10 minutes. Not so sure on a V-Drive.

not much longer once you get that 3rd arm joint bent properly. id say its about a 12 minute job with no beers involved. but what is the fun in that. it can easily be stretched into a 3 beerjob

jmb
12-27-2013, 06:11 PM
not much longer once you get that 3rd arm joint bent properly. id say its about a 12 minute job with no beers involved. but what is the fun in that. it can easily be stretched into a 3 beerjob

5 of those minutes I took a break and had a beer.