PDA

View Full Version : Rocks are bad mmmkay

irish-racing
09-30-2013, 10:34 AM
Saturday September 28, 2013 was a beautfiul day in Indiana. Got up to around 80 F water was cool but felt good. We had made plans with friends and my parents to go out and do some surfing and wakeskating. We had a nice wave going enjoying the day. My buddy was killing it after not surfing for 3 years due to knee surgeries and issues. I was in the middle of the lake abot 12ft of water, approx. 400ft from the shore turning around to head back into a cove when..... BAM!!!!!!!!! boat starts shaking and we almost come to a complete stop. I immediately cut the throttle and look at my depth finder. It says 12 ft still.... I start looking for a log or a body or something. My buddy jumped off the board as soon as he heard the boat hit, swims to about where it happened and stands up and yells " Hey I think I found the problem." There was a huge rock in the middle of the lake that we found with the boat. Damage could have been a lot worse but I am still pissed. Luckily I have insurance and it is the end of the season. I wasn't a big fan of this lake before and now I will never go back.

Here are some pictures of the damage.
http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r666/nmunson1/20130928_173707_resized_zpsfbffd2a9.jpg (http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/nmunson1/media/20130928_173707_resized_zpsfbffd2a9.jpg.html)

http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r666/nmunson1/20130928_173712_resized_zps75bdea7a.jpg (http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/nmunson1/media/20130928_173712_resized_zps75bdea7a.jpg.html)

http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r666/nmunson1/20130928_173719_resized_zps01adb22f.jpg (http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/nmunson1/media/20130928_173719_resized_zps01adb22f.jpg.html)

http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r666/nmunson1/20130928_173722_resized_zps9b97171a.jpg (http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/nmunson1/media/20130928_173722_resized_zps9b97171a.jpg.html)

Clearly the prop is done, driveshaft is bent. rudder is bent and pushed up into the engine compartment, hull has some nicks. Could have been a lot worse. It would idle so we made it back to the dock on our own power nad back onto the trailer. Now to the Moomba dealer to be fixed and winterized.

kaneboats
09-30-2013, 10:47 AM
That was a hard smack. You can't be the first. That one needs to be marked before someone gets killed.

86century
09-30-2013, 10:48 AM
That sucks man. Well at least it the end of the year.

newty
09-30-2013, 11:47 AM
You sure you just didn't copy and paste pics from Cab's Shasta experience?
Sorry to hear, could have been worse. Glad its the end of the season.

irish-racing
09-30-2013, 11:56 AM
That was a hard smack. You can't be the first. That one needs to be marked before someone gets killed.

Agreed. I told the guy who collects your money at the ramp. Hopefully they do something about it.

That sucks man. Well at least it the end of the year.

Exactly. It could always be worse.

Nope those are my pics. haha. It could have been much worse.

zabooda
09-30-2013, 12:23 PM
You need to be proactive in getting that shoal marked. If not, I've seen milk cartons anchored in spots before and that helps.

Wax
09-30-2013, 12:43 PM
Dang that sucks. Had almost the same thing happen to me about 3 or 4 years ago with my Supra, your damage sounds about excatly the same. I was able to hobble back to the launch but couldn't barely even turn the steering wheel, and my driveshaft was bent. Still never figured out what it was, but assumed floating log or something (was in a river). Oh well, same thing for me, it was the end of September and insurance covered it so no real harm to me other than $500 deductible, but needed a new prop anyway!

I can't believe it's that shallow and nobody has ever marked it.

irish-racing
09-30-2013, 12:49 PM
You need to be proactive in getting that shoal marked. If not, I've seen milk cartons anchored in spots before and that helps.

That's a good idea. I might go out there today after work.

Dang that sucks. Had almost the same thing happen to me about 3 or 4 years ago with my Supra, your damage sounds about excatly the same. I was able to hobble back to the launch but couldn't barely even turn the steering wheel, and my driveshaft was bent. Still never figured out what it was, but assumed floating log or something (was in a river). Oh well, same thing for me, it was the end of September and insurance covered it so no real harm to me other than $500 deductible, but needed a new prop anyway!

I can't believe it's that shallow and nobody has ever marked it.

Yeah it sucks. How long did it take them to repair it?

I can't believe it either. Last year during our drought last year the lake was down like 4ft if not more. I don't know why it wasn't marked last year or before.

sandm
09-30-2013, 12:50 PM
sucks but glad the damage is repairable and no one was hurt.

Wax
09-30-2013, 12:56 PM
Yeah it sucks. How long did it take them to repair it?

I honestly don't remember. I'm pretty sure I picked it up before the snow fell, as I stored it in my garage at the time. So I'd say definitely less than 2 months, probably around 5 weeks? I told them no rush though, not like I was going to use it again that year.

996scott
09-30-2013, 01:12 PM
Sucks big time. sorry to hear but at least everyone is ok. Get her fixed and you'll be back out next season.

irish-racing
09-30-2013, 01:16 PM
sucks but glad the damage is repairable and no one was hurt.

Yeah I honestly more concerned with the people in the boat.

I honestly don't remember. I'm pretty sure I picked it up before the snow fell, as I stored it in my garage at the time. So I'd say definitely less than 2 months, probably around 5 weeks? I told them no rush though, not like I was going to use it again that year.

Yeah they can take there time. I'm in no rush to get it back to stare at it over winter.

Sucks big time. sorry to hear but at least everyone is ok. Get her fixed and you'll be back out next season.

That's the plan.

bergermaister
09-30-2013, 01:48 PM
Wow - another BAD bottom hit. Sorry man, esp with just having got the boat not too long ago.

I'd be raising hell about the unmarked rocks to whoever's ear you get. I've even left bumpers out on the river to mark something when I didn't have anything else to use. Worth the replacement cost in my mind to save someone else from a disaster.

If it's any consolation, my bottom hit a few years ago was in about 12ft of water too, but we never saw what we hit. A piling about a foot or two under based on all the mud and splinters that came up.

wolfeman131
09-30-2013, 01:51 PM
Wow.

Sorry about the misfortune.

irish-racing
09-30-2013, 01:54 PM
Wow - another BAD bottom hit. Sorry man, esp with just having got the boat not too long ago.

I'd be raising hell about the unmarked rocks to whoever's ear you get. I've even left bumpers out on the river to mark something when I didn't have anything else to use. Worth the replacement cost in my mind to save someone else from a disaster.

If it's any consolation, my bottom hit a few years ago was in about 12ft of water too, but we never saw what we hit. A piling about a foot or two under based on all the mud and splinters that came up.

Yeah I have to figure out who to yell at but someone is getting yelled at. It's ridiuclous. The whole lake is lined with houses with boats and there are always a ton of people out on the lake so how this hasn't been marked yet is ludacris!

Wow.

Sorry about the misfortune.

IT's life. I was really mad saturday but after the dust settled and I took a breathe I realized that is why I have insurance. No sense in stewing about it. Being mad won't change it.

tater
09-30-2013, 08:25 PM
Ah Man,hate to see that,glad nobody got hurt,I have heard that there is a place on that Lake that is called Million Dollar cove for that reason but you would think somebody buy now would have marked it ? At least at Mississinewa they mark everything pretty well,There was a tree down this year that i havent seen before and they even but a buoy buy it and then somebody but there tightie whities on one of the branches,classic, Anyways it fixable and now you have to come hang at Mississinewa.

rdlangston13
09-30-2013, 08:37 PM
that sucks but you are 100% right, this is why we all have insurance!

jmvotto
09-30-2013, 09:12 PM
Big bummer, sucks to end the season that way, thankfully your rider didn't hit it and everyone was injury free.

KG's Supra24
09-30-2013, 09:35 PM
Ouch, that hurts!! Luckily no one was injured and you were done using the boat for the summer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

86century
09-30-2013, 10:47 PM
Do you have a machine without a prop to get out to it. If not I will bring our jet skis down Wednesday.

That shallow could be a life ender if you took a hard fall in the wrong spot.

irish-racing
10-01-2013, 08:29 AM
Ah Man,hate to see that,glad nobody got hurt,I have heard that there is a place on that Lake that is called Million Dollar cove for that reason but you would think somebody buy now would have marked it ? At least at Mississinewa they mark everything pretty well,There was a tree down this year that i havent seen before and they even but a buoy buy it and then somebody but there tightie whities on one of the branches,classic, Anyways it fixable and now you have to come hang at Mississinewa.

Yeah I know million dollar point. I stay as far away from that place as possible. I will be mainly at Mississinewa next year.

that sucks but you are 100% right, this is why we all have insurance!

Yep. Life happens.

Big bummer, sucks to end the season that way, thankfully your rider didn't hit it and everyone was injury free.

Yeah I am glad he didn't hit that or the boat when it almost stopped.

Ouch, that hurts!! Luckily no one was injured and you were done using the boat for the summer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

These are true facts you speak.

Do you have a machine without a prop to get out to it. If not I will bring our jet skis down Wednesday.

That shallow could be a life ender if you took a hard fall in the wrong spot.

I still have my old boat that is technically sold, the guy just hasn't picked it up. It's a jet boat so I will take that out and mark the spot.

Yeah if someone is wakeboarding through there and wipes out they are done. I would feel horrible if something like that happened and I didn't take the time to go back out and mark the spot.

cab13367
10-01-2013, 03:01 PM

That's what I was thinking! Unfotunately, this is worse. I had no damage to my rudder.

irish-racing, hope your insurance will do you right. My bill was right at $5k and I had no damage to the rudder so I think you are looking at $6-$7k as you also have more gelcoat damage.

Sorry to hear it. I was like you, at first I was pretty bummed about it then realized that it's just part of boating and that is why we carry insurance.

irish-racing
10-02-2013, 10:55 AM
That's what I was thinking! Unfotunately, this is worse. I had no damage to my rudder.

irish-racing, hope your insurance will do you right. My bill was right at $5k and I had no damage to the rudder so I think you are looking at $6-$7k as you also have more gelcoat damage.

Sorry to hear it. I was like you, at first I was pretty bummed about it then realized that it's just part of boating and that is why we carry insurance.

I just dropped her off this morning to the Moomba dealer close to me. The insurance adjuster is going to look at it tomorrow and should have her back before I know it.

I was guessing around $6k in damage. Do you remember about how long it took for it to be fixed?

cab13367
10-02-2013, 06:01 PM
I took all the underwater gear off myself then had the shop just do the gelcoat repair. Took him about 5 days but he is a one man show. I now have it back and am in the process of putting the underwater gear back on.

irish-racing
10-03-2013, 08:22 AM
That's not bad. They didn't give me a time estimate when I dropped it off yesterday. But if they have it for a couple weeks that is fine. Just means I don't have to mess with storing it for a couple weeks.

cab13367
10-03-2013, 02:47 PM
Yeah, I am in no hurry at this point. Our season is over.

irish-racing
10-03-2013, 03:38 PM
Our season is too, technically. But Indiana usually has random days where it'll just up into the 80's in october. It's a very confusing place to live sometimes. 2 years ago on my birthday which is in January, it was 65 degrees.

irish-racing
10-04-2013, 08:18 AM
Insurance adjuster called me yesterday. About $5,800 in damage and it's going to take about 4-6 weeks to repair. I just have to pay my deductible when I pick her up.

kaneboats
10-04-2013, 09:14 AM
Indiana usually has random days where it'll just up into the 80's in october.

It's like that here too. We'll have random days where it will just drop into the 80's out of the blue.

irish-racing
10-04-2013, 09:43 AM
It's like that here too. We'll have random days where it will just drop into the 80's out of the blue.

Don't brag Mr. Florida! I miss living down there.

cab13367
10-04-2013, 12:46 PM
Insurance adjuster called me yesterday. About $5,800 in damage and it's going to take about 4-6 weeks to repair. I just have to pay my deductible when I pick her up.

I thinkt that is a pretty fair price.

irish-racing
10-04-2013, 01:33 PM
Agreed. Now I am ready for it to be next summer already.

MJR63
10-04-2013, 10:16 PM
Sorry to hear about your boat. I know you just got it recently and how bummed you must be. Thank god your insurance is covering it minus your deductible.

evoimport6
10-05-2013, 06:58 PM
I probably missed it , but what lake were you on?

irish-racing
10-07-2013, 08:12 AM
Sorry to hear about your boat. I know you just got it recently and how bummed you must be. Thank god your insurance is covering it minus your deductible.

Thanks. Yeah if it wasn't for insurance I would be a whole lot more angry.

I probably missed it , but what lake were you on?

I was on Morse Reservoir.