PDA

View Full Version : 06 LSV in the garage?

Wax
09-28-2013, 11:00 PM
Ok, I know this is going to sound terrible...but we might be buying a house off the water :( . My question is, will my LSV fit in a standard garage? It's 23' deep by 26' wide, door is 83" tall (1" shorter than 7ft). I think the LSV with the swing away tongue, deck off, and tower down should just barely fit. My old garage was 23' deep also, and my 00 Launch with tower down (which was taller than LSV prob) and no swing tongue fit at a very slight angle (was 23' 6" long).

IF YOU WANT TO READ WHY, PLEASE READ ON! OTHERWISE THIS IS JUST ME RAMBLING!

We currently rent kind of on a completely private lake, which is an amazing lake, but our house is actually a street off the lake but the house has a deeded easement on the water where I have a dock with my boat and jetski hoists and stuff. It's not as convenient as you would think since we run back and forth via golf cart, but at least I don't have to trailer my boat. Plus my wife HATES the house and location of the house itself, like with a passion. I'm pretty indifferent, but it's not her style at all and I'm really only here because of the easement on the water.

We are ready to buy, but just can't find anything affordable that we like on the water. My wife prefers a house off the water that is huge and gorgeous, compared to a house on the water that is medium and mediocre. Me, I'd prefer water...but you know how that goes. The house we are thinking about putting an offer on is in an awesome sub that's on an electric only lake (this house isn't directly on it), but there's a huge, and I mean huge, lakeside park for residents only that has a great beach, playground, tennis courts, etc. At least I could still use my SUP there I guess. The house is within 10-15 minutes of probably 10 public lakes I can launch at, so I'm not too far away. The house is a huge awesome victorian with everything my wife wants, like gourmet kitchen with granite and all that crap. We have two small kids, 5 and 2, and it looks like a very kid friendly sub, and it's definitely a higher end sub of the area.

Anyway, literally my only holdout is based on if my LSV can fit in the garage. The neighborhood has a rule against leaving boats (or other trailers) in the driveway I guess for more than a day or two. Kind of sucks since I have a fifth wheel, double jetskis, snowmobile trailer, duck hunting boat, golf cart, etc...looks like I'll be getting a big storage unit lol.

Wax
09-28-2013, 11:23 PM
mojo :)

I have a 23.2" garage depth and have a 22ft boat in it with platform off and swingtongue.

Ha, I knew somebody had mentioned this before!

rdlangston13
09-28-2013, 11:35 PM
Ok, I know this is going to sound terrible...but we might be buying a house off the water :( . My question is, will my LSV fit in a standard garage? It's 23' deep by 26' wide, door is 83" tall (1" shorter than 7ft). I think the LSV with the swing away tongue, deck off, and tower down should just barely fit. My old garage was 23' deep also, and my 00 Launch with tower down (which was taller than LSV prob) and no swing tongue fit at a very slight angle (was 23' 6" long).

IF YOU WANT TO READ WHY, PLEASE READ ON! OTHERWISE THIS IS JUST ME RAMBLING!

We currently rent kind of on a completely private lake, which is an amazing lake, but our house is actually a street off the lake but the house has a deeded easement on the water where I have a dock with my boat and jetski hoists and stuff. It's not as convenient as you would think since we run back and forth via golf cart, but at least I don't have to trailer my boat. Plus my wife HATES the house and location of the house itself, like with a passion. I'm pretty indifferent, but it's not her style at all and I'm really only here because of the easement on the water.

We are ready to buy, but just can't find anything affordable that we like on the water. My wife prefers a house off the water that is huge and gorgeous, compared to a house on the water that is medium and mediocre. Me, I'd prefer water...but you know how that goes. The house we are thinking about putting an offer on is in an awesome sub that's on an electric only lake (this house isn't directly on it), but there's a huge, and I mean huge, lakeside park for residents only that has a great beach, playground, tennis courts, etc. At least I could still use my SUP there I guess. The house is within 10-15 minutes of probably 10 public lakes I can launch at, so I'm not too far away. The house is a huge awesome victorian with everything my wife wants, like gourmet kitchen with granite and all that crap. We have two small kids, 5 and 2, and it looks like a very kid friendly sub, and it's definitely a higher end sub of the area.

Anyway, literally my only holdout is based on if my LSV can fit in the garage. The neighborhood has a rule against leaving boats (or other trailers) in the driveway I guess for more than a day or two. Kind of sucks since I have a fifth wheel, double jetskis, snowmobile trailer, duck hunting boat, golf cart, etc...looks like I'll be getting a big storage unit lol.

your life is so hard, you disgust me hahaha

not sure on if your boat will fit, i thought my garage was standard size at 21' 6" x 21' 6", now i feel like i just have a big closet with outside access...

Wax
09-28-2013, 11:37 PM
As I do more research, I hear people say it fits but a lot are deflating tires to get it in. I also noticed some say the dual axle and single are different...mine's single if it matters. One good thing is I do have an adjustable drop hitch for my truck so I can lower it way down, and the driveway is decently uphill to the garage so that may keep it low going into the garage also. I remember that's how my Supra fit, it was due to the slant of my driveway pretty much that allowed that old Supra style tower to fit under folded down.

Wax
09-28-2013, 11:42 PM
your life is so hard, you disgust me hahaha

I know, sometimes I wonder at the old age of 27 why life hasn't treated me better all these long hard years...

I'm struggling with this moving away from the lake thing though, that's for sure! We did live off the lake for 5 years before this. I bought a condo on a lake when I was like 20, when I bought my Supra. My daughter was born when I was 22, so I bought a house that was off the lake since my little 1 bedroom bachelor condo wasn't big enough. I FINALLY got back on the lake a year ago, and now she's already trying to take me away again!!!!!

rdlangston13
09-29-2013, 12:04 AM
Ugh. It's a 2 hour drive for us to out riding spot, 1 hour to the closest spot but we hold out for glass

Sent from my iPhone

Wax
09-29-2013, 12:08 AM
Ugh. It's a 2 hour drive for us to out riding spot, 1 hour to the closest spot but we hold out for glass

Sent from my iPhone

Holy crap! And I'm complaining about having to drive my golf cart like 100 yards, or trailering my boat 10 minutes...what a jerk I am!

Sharpshooter
09-29-2013, 07:38 AM
I have that problem, I had to take off both swivel board racks, let the tower down and lower the tongue down on a floor jack and it still would not clear overhead. The tower liked about an inch or two, thought about letting air out but that was going to be to much trouble every time I got it out, but the air will be coming out for winter time storage

2013 Moomba LSV

rdlangston13
09-29-2013, 07:45 AM
As far as the axles go, from what I have seen the single axle trailers right higher up than the double so you may have more of a clearance issue with the single than with a double. I think this is due to the single axle having a large rim and tire than the double

clarkely
09-29-2013, 08:49 AM
I use a real low drop to gt my ls in.... Tongue down far.... Barely fits for width.... I have to take the covers off the guide poles to get it in.... But it fits and no tire deflation.....

You current house doesn't seem like it's all that bad as you can keep all your toys there.... Those developments where u can't keep stuff..... Suck..... Next the kids play set will be to big or to close to the line.... I got no time for that crap....

I would consider keeping the current place :) Maybe trade her in for one that likes what you have :) just messing with ya..... But seriously.... The big big house developments are drama filled developments.....

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4

jmvotto
09-29-2013, 09:01 AM
See if the sellers would allow you to try it in the garage.

We now have a three car garage with two 8 ft doors , one 7ft, ???? But it's still like a big closet.

Hopefully I can build a garage at the lake house for winter storage, annual payments starting to add up. Plus the 23 xlv does not fit many standard garages.

Wax , happy wife = happy life .:)

Wax
09-29-2013, 11:02 AM
You current house doesn't seem like it's all that bad as you can keep all your toys there.... Those developments where u can't keep stuff..... Suck..... Next the kids play set will be to big or to close to the line.... I got no time for that crap....

I'm on the same page, our old house was on 2 acres in the country and I could do whatever the fudge I wanted.

The main issue is my wife hates this house, and I don't really like it that much either, and I'm renting which is like throwing money in the toilet. The market is recovering strong, so it's a good time to buy. If I buy this house, I expect to have at least $40k equity in 5 years, and then I'll sell and put that towards a down payment on a house on the lake. The situation at my current rental house is awesome, but the house itself isn't awesome and it's location sucks (all nasty ditty roads, steep hills, all not maintained by township because they're private). I'm dreading this winter when my wife can't make it up the hills in the ice and snow again.

Sent from my fourth replacement Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 4...

Wax
09-29-2013, 12:42 PM
Actually found another really nice house today in a neighborhood we really like that has no association at all, there were boats and fifth wheels and all sorts of stuff in peoples driveways! Awesome! I measured this house's garage, and it's just over 22' deep and again about 7' tall door. Room to modify to an oversized door though. I measured the boat trailer, it's about 21'4" from very rear point (bunk end) to the fold away. So add wakeplate at 8" or so? Right at 22'. It's an oversized 2 car garage though, so there's opportunity to angle it in a little if needed.

clarkely
09-29-2013, 01:34 PM
Good for you.... If you can avoid those crazy association rules..... Cause there always crazy people following and enforcing them t the letter of the law.... If my friend would have his camper home for more than 48 hours.... Hour 49 there were complaints..... Crazy busy bodies!!

For garage also keep in mind if is level pavement outside or slopes away..... Mine slopes away enough that I easily fit for height....

Wax
09-29-2013, 01:54 PM
Good for you.... If you can avoid those crazy association rules..... Cause there always crazy people following and enforcing them t the letter of the law.... If my friend would have his camper home for more than 48 hours.... Hour 49 there were complaints..... Crazy busy bodies!!

For garage also keep in mind if is level pavement outside or slopes away..... Mine slopes away enough that I easily fit for height....

Yeah funny you say that. I've got a neighbor that's like that across the street right now. We don't have an association, but he will call the cops or township on anybody slightly out of line. My other neighbor said a township officer stopped by yesterday and was checking out everybody's houses because my one neighbor made a complaint about somebody not following township rules or something. Gotta love people you know.

jpetty3023
09-29-2013, 05:35 PM
if you already have to get a storage unit for your other stuff then why not just keep the boat there? I live in an HOA and love it. keeps my home value sky high and keeps the riff raff out. i rent a covered storage unit w/electric and security system in place for 100 bucks a month. unit is 2 miles from house, which is half mile from ramp.

Sent from my iP5s on an app called tapatalk 2

clarkely
09-29-2013, 06:38 PM
I have rental units that I rent with hoa..... That's more than enough for me....

I would rather have my own property.... The more property u have..... Further u keep any rift raft away :)

Or each their own.... That's why there are apples n oranges.....

I was just trying to suggest to the op that when you can keep everything at your home and don't have a hoa.... It's hard to make the switch.... When u are always in a hoa.... It's what u r used to...

Wax
09-29-2013, 08:03 PM
I don't have a storage unit already, I keep everything at my house right now. I also own a jetski repair business on the side, so I keep some of my toys at my shop, but it's 25 minutes away so not feasible to keep stuff I use often there.

We put an offer in on the house that doesn't have a hoa today, see what happens. I timed it from the house to the entrance of the boat ramp today...1 minute 10 seconds lol

moombadaze
09-29-2013, 08:42 PM
we bought our current house contingent on the boat fitting into the garage. we trailered over and backed in. it fit, we bought the house. 2 months later we traded it in. Also when we bought the 08 LSV, it came on a single axle trailer, so for a few weeks we used that trailer till my double axle came in, both trailers had the tower hinge point just grazing the top of the garage opening.

samvq1
09-30-2013, 08:19 AM
Actually found another really nice house today in a neighborhood we really like that has no association at all, there were boats and fifth wheels and all sorts of stuff in peoples driveways! Awesome! I measured this house's garage, and it's just over 22' deep and again about 7' tall door. Room to modify to an oversized door though. I measured the boat trailer, it's about 21'4" from very rear point (bunk end) to the fold away. So add wakeplate at 8" or so? Right at 22'. It's an oversized 2 car garage though, so there's opportunity to angle it in a little if needed.

Are you going to take the swim platform off? I didn't see it accounted for in your measurements. That will add another couple of feet.

Wax
09-30-2013, 08:30 AM
Are you going to take the swim platform off? I didn't see it accounted for in your measurements. That will add another couple of feet.

Yes, everything I said was assuming no platform.

Cigars n scotch
09-30-2013, 09:29 AM
Sounds like my exact situation. We're closing on a house oct. 9th, we must have looked at 45 houses. Only 3 had garage deep enough and with a single wide door that would fit our Supra 21V. It's in an HOA sub but the neighborhood is really great from talking to a couple of current owners. We actually looked at the house behind the one we bought that was also for sale and spent a good amount of time talking with the sellers (it was FSBO) to get a feel).

I prefer non-HOA and to have acreage but where we were looking to move meant it couldn't be escaped. We would be 45 minutes at least away from Lake Wylie if we wanted land, and because my wife works in the great school district we wanted too it made sense.

New house has a 25' deep garage!! Can't wait to move in!

Best of luck Wax on your offer!

Wax
09-30-2013, 09:53 AM
Thanks!

Yeah since this neighborhood isn't HOA, I can probably actually put up an instant garage thing next to the house and use it just for the boat. Might even be able to get a tall one like for a motorhome and keep the tower up! We'll see. I'm not too concerned now that I know I can leave it in the driveway, but of course in shelter is always good (although right now it's on my hoist not in shelter all summer lol). Winter time isn't a concern, my father in law has a big pole barn I'll be storing it in anyway.

rdlangston13
09-30-2013, 11:54 PM
Sounds like my exact situation. We're closing on a house oct. 9th, we must have looked at 45 houses. Only 3 had garage deep enough and with a single wide door that would fit our Supra 21V. It's in an HOA sub but the neighborhood is really great from talking to a couple of current owners. We actually looked at the house behind the one we bought that was also for sale and spent a good amount of time talking with the sellers (it was FSBO) to get a feel).

I prefer non-HOA and to have acreage but where we were looking to move meant it couldn't be escaped. We would be 45 minutes at least away from Lake Wylie if we wanted land, and because my wife works in the great school district we wanted too it made sense.

New house has a 25' deep garage!! Can't wait to move in!

Best of luck Wax on your offer!

Yeah we would rather be out in the country with acreage and closer to the water but with my fiancé's job being in town and her working night combined with my insane work schedule we concluded that it would be best for is to remain relatively close to her job and our families.

Sent from my iPhone

cab13367
10-01-2013, 12:54 AM
I have the same boat but on a tandem axle swing tongue trailer and it needs a minimum depth of 22'-3" but I would strongly recommend that you put your boat on your trailer and measure it. Would hate for you to take our word for it then find out it doesn't fit because your trailer is set up a little different. Good luck.

Worlds22SSV
10-01-2013, 12:17 PM

For height i made this 16" drop hitch to clear the door, i lower the boat down with a floor jack.

Wax
10-02-2013, 09:50 AM
Well on to house offer #3. First two fell through. I'm not going to offer on one in the HOA neighborhood, I couldn't live like that. The one I just offered on is on a cul de sac backing to the woods, and is in the neighborhood that's on the lake so it's just down the street. Unfortunately, the garage is only 22' even. Maybe the boat will fit at an angle. If not, I'm not concerned really. Worst case is I get one of the harbor freight instant garages and keep it in there. Or just keep it in the driveway with the cover on, not like that's any different than it sitting on my hoist with the cover on!

moombadaze
10-02-2013, 05:46 PM
. Or just keep it in the driveway with the cover on

that would be my last option just due to possible vandalism or theft of boat or items in boat.

parrothd
10-02-2013, 05:58 PM
Cut a hole in the garage wall, add a 2 foot bump out.... :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

kaneboats
10-02-2013, 06:24 PM
That's tricky on a brick house. I added a couple inches through the drywall on one house though.

Wax
10-03-2013, 09:21 AM
that would be my last option just due to possible vandalism or theft of boat or items in boat.

Eh, I live in a pretty low crime area. I know anything is possible, but that's the least of my concern. Shoot, right now my boat is on the hoist on my lake lot, and there's nothing between it and the street because it's just an easement on the water. I have my trailer there, tubes on the trailer, life jackets, gas cans, deck box with a ton of stuff in it, jetskis, boards...no problems ever.

Although there's been a new development too...the lake I'm on is completely private, there's no public access at all. It's literally the best lake I've ever been on. I am not happy at all about moving off of it and going back to using public lakes. Anyway, my new neighbor that just bought a house on the water a couple months ago came surfing with me last night. There's a house by his that has an easement on the water that's adjacent to his land. He said the guy wants to sell the easement and offered to sell it to him. We're going to make an offer to him and split it...if so then who cares where my wife wants to buy a house, I'll still have my boat on the hoist on my lake! The house we offered on is about 5 minutes away from the lake I'm on now, so it wouldn't be bad at all plus no trailering every day lol.

trayson
10-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Well on to house offer #3. First two fell through. I'm not going to offer on one in the HOA neighborhood, I couldn't live like that. The one I just offered on is on a cul de sac backing to the woods, and is in the neighborhood that's on the lake so it's just down the street. Unfortunately, the garage is only 22' even. Maybe the boat will fit at an angle. If not, I'm not concerned really. Worst case is I get one of the harbor freight instant garages and keep it in there. Or just keep it in the driveway with the cover on, not like that's any different than it sitting on my hoist with the cover on!

The best solution if you have to go with a cover/carport is to check out www.carport.com you can have a sweet metal carport made that's tall enough for your tower and has 1/2 sides on the top for $1500 to $2k. The harbor freight tent garages are a bit of a PITA. they can't take snow loads and the tarps honestly last 2 years max.

Wax
10-03-2013, 08:24 PM
The best solution if you have to go with a cover/carport is to check out www.carport.com you can have a sweet metal carport made that's tall enough for your tower and has 1/2 sides on the top for $1500 to $2k. The harbor freight tent garages are a bit of a PITA. they can't take snow loads and the tarps honestly last 2 years max.

Nice, thanks for the info. I thought about that, I have a friend that works for a carport company, he can probably hook me up. See the canopy in my avatar, that was his he made. Just not sure what the township rules are for either, have to find out.

kaneboats
10-03-2013, 10:26 PM
Hey, what else about your particular lake makes it so good, i.e., best one you've ever been on????

wolfeman131
10-03-2013, 11:07 PM
Just not sure what the township rules are for either, have to find out.

So, what's the big difference between HOA rules & township rules?

Wax
10-03-2013, 11:45 PM
Hey, what else about your particular lake makes it so good, i.e., best one you've ever been on????

Nobody uses it the large majority of the time, aside from a group of hardcore skiers. It will be middle of the summer and I'll be the only one on the water some evenings. It's crazy how little it's used.

Wax
10-03-2013, 11:46 PM
So, what's the big difference between HOA rules & township rules?

Township doesn't prevent me from having my boat, fifth wheel, jetski trailer, etc from being in my driveway is the main one I care about

clarkely
10-04-2013, 06:17 AM
Up our way an hoa will tell u what colors u can paint your door..... What colors are approved for Windows and storm doors .. How many tress u can and can't have.... They simply become a pia up here..... Twp's have become a close second.....

wolfeman131
10-05-2013, 09:46 AM
Up our way an hoa will tell u what colors u can paint your door..... What colors are approved for Windows and storm doors .. How many tress u can and can't have.... They simply become a pia up here..... Twp's have become a close second.....

Yeah, that's my point. There are rules wherever you are.

I like that my neighborhood HOA prevents people from living a John Cougar Melancamp life and painting their little house pink or a country song and having their pick 'em up truck on blocks in the front yard. Pretty sure that helps maintain the value of my investment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kaneboats
10-07-2013, 12:33 PM
The guy from the HOA told me I couldn't cut my tree down. So I went in his yard and cut his down instead.

jmb
10-07-2013, 08:12 PM
I got 3 vehicles on blocks right now. Old tires.line my driveway that I have painted white. I love it here!