PDA

View Full Version : LED Trailer Runway lights on a digital bilge switch.

trayson
09-26-2013, 12:44 PM
And now for my latest mod.... Runway lights!!!!!!!!

I got this idea from a cool writeup on Wakeworld.

Here's what you need:

5 meters of black 5050 SMD waterproof strip lights, Mine light up BLUE
Atwood Digital Bilge Switch (Amazon.com had the best price)
A bunch of black zip ties

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/bestonline1234/E000315_%283%29.JPG
So, 5 meters was enough to go from the rear of the trailer most of the way towards the front. Close enough that I didn't feel compelled to waste more money on lights. I paid $26 shipped off ebay from a seller called nj-store.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31yXZ8Kg-cL._SX385_.jpg
This switch will power the lights on for 8 seconds when you first turn on the running lights. Just a power up test it always does. Once the sensors are wet for 8 seconds, then the lights will illuminate. The switch will keep the lights powered up for 1 minute after the sensors are out of the water. There are no moving parts on this switch so it won't trigger the lights going down the road on bumps.
http://www.amazon.com/Attwood-Digital-Bilge-Switch-Volt/dp/B001O0D6LU

Okay, so I just ran the strip lights down the top of my frame rails of my trailer. I tapped into my running light circuit of my trailer lights, ran a wire across to the other side to power those strip lights, and secured the strip lights about every 3 to 4 feet with zip ties around the frame rails. Yes, they have adhesive, but it's weak and I don't trust it so I zip tied the strip lights in place.

trayson
09-26-2013, 12:45 PM
Pic from the front. You can see it goes quite a ways towards the bow.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/--JqjjZVNhEw/UkPHycf76WI/AAAAAAAAPCw/1Ncrl7i_Ddw/s800/20130925_215011.jpg

I chose to run the strip lights down the back of the frame rail and 1 light worth underneath. That way I could wrap the top and bottom with a looped zip tie.
My trailer had flat metal that butted right up against the frame rail, so I just drilled a small hole in the sheet metal for the zip tie. Why not?
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-P3CsRYcgcTo/UkPHxGQY_dI/AAAAAAAAPCs/YE2KgiQtMJY/s800/20130925_215057.jpg

Slightly blurry pic from the rear. It goes on the inside of the carpet that pads the fenders. Just on the top, inside of the main frame rails. This is going to be awesome when I'm pulling the boat onto the trailer at night. Plus it will look wicked cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bling, bling!!
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-kDP3rm9kLWc/UkPHvtFsLAI/AAAAAAAAPCk/GrxuPr23W4Q/s800/20130925_215127.jpg

I did this because once we hit Labor Day, the sun is setting at 7pm. So if we go out after work at the end of summer and play for a couple hours, then by the time we've drained our ballast we're crusing back to the dock as it's changing from dusk to dark. Then by the time the trailer's being backed into the water, it's now dark.

Yeah, I can see my LED taillights in the water, but having a brighter and cooler landmark to aid in putting the boat on the trailer when it's dark is gonna be way cool.

Plus, I'm only $45 into this project including tax and shipping. $45 is a pretty cheap mod when it comes to our boats. I just ordered a waterproof stainless LED lighted swtich so I can override the switch and have it glow regardless of if it's in the water or not. I went the "get it from China" ebay route and got a switch for $3.50 that will show up in probably 3 weeks...

bergermaister
09-26-2013, 01:10 PM
Show off! JK - I'll have to see this in person.

I'm curious how that bilge switch would react if you're driving in the rain...

trayson
09-26-2013, 01:21 PM

Yeah, that could be interesting I guess. I suppose if it really gets to be an issue, that I could use a 3-way swtich instead of the two way switch that I'm adding... On/WaterLevel/Off. But I rarely trailer in the rain. So I don't see it as a problem anytime soon. The switch is just zip tied to the rear of the trailer, so I can move it within the radius of the wire length easily. It has two sensors that need to both have water on them for 8 seconds before the switch will activate. Hoping it is effective.

The description says:

You can rest ensured that your pump won't be exposed to continuous cycling as the S3 switch won't be fooled by splashing bilge water

mikenehrkorn
09-26-2013, 02:09 PM
Or just hide the switch somewhere on the trailer that wouldn't get wet when its raining.

trayson
09-26-2013, 02:12 PM
Or just hide the switch somewhere on the trailer that wouldn't get wet when its raining.

I think he was concerned about road spray. But I think it'll be effective with the design...

mikenehrkorn
09-26-2013, 02:12 PM
Or just forgo the switch all together and have them on all the time that the running lights are on......it would look like those 18-wheelers that you see going down the highway that are lit up like a Xmas tree!! :)

MLA
09-26-2013, 02:17 PM

The one im familiar with, has 2 contacts and needs to sense the water across both for about 5 seconds before the contacts close. Boatmate offers it an option on their trailers and it doesnt seem to be an issue.

trayson
09-26-2013, 02:30 PM
Or just forgo the switch all together and have them on all the time that the running lights are on......it would look like those 18-wheelers that you see going down the highway that are lit up like a Xmas tree!! :)

Well, if I would have chose to have Amber LED's I could have done it!

The one im familiar with, has 2 contacts and needs to sense the water across both for about 5 seconds before the contacts close. Boatmate offers it an option on their trailers and it doesnt seem to be an issue.

Yep, that's the switch that I have. Good price from Amazon too.

mikenehrkorn
09-26-2013, 02:47 PM
Well, if I would have chose to have Amber LED's I could have done it!

What difference does the color make? Is it against the law or just personal preference?

trayson
09-26-2013, 02:59 PM
What difference does the color make? Is it against the law or just personal preference?

My understanding is that you can't legally have the other colors. You have probably noticed that all the semi trucks with tons of lights have amber lights on the sides and such as "clearance" lights, and of course Red towards the rear.

I don't have the law references handy, but that's why I did mind with a switch, because I don't want cops getting annoyed with me.

zabooda
09-26-2013, 03:34 PM

Illegal is Washington State and they do bust.

WAC 204-21-230

Blue lights are prohibited on any vehicle other than a law enforcement vehicle as defined in WAC 204-21-010.

trayson
09-26-2013, 04:03 PM
Illegal is Washington State and they do bust.

WAC 204-21-230

Blue lights are prohibited on any vehicle other than a law enforcement vehicle as defined in WAC 204-21-010.

There you go. That's where I live.

I hope they don't have a similar law for boats on the water.

mikenehrkorn
09-26-2013, 04:07 PM
All I can find for IL is that the lights cannot be "oscillating, rotating or flashing"

trayson
09-26-2013, 04:19 PM
All I can find for IL is that the lights cannot be "oscillating, rotating or flashing"

So much for my plans for an on the water disco show! Hahaha

WA is vague.

RCW 79A.60.120
Tampering with vessel lights or signals — Exhibiting false lights or signals — Penalty.

An operator or owner who endangers a vessel, or the persons on board the vessel, by showing, masking, extinguishing, altering, or removing any light or signal or by exhibiting any false light or signal, is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable as provided in RCW 9.92.030.

zabooda
09-26-2013, 06:46 PM
Same here with CG requirements. Flashing blue is for law enforcement but no mention of steady blue. Green, red and white LEDs would have an issue since they are the navigation light colors and would easily make for a dangerous situation on the water.

33 CFR 88.11 - Law enforcement vessels.

Law enforcement vessels may display a flashing blue light when engaged in direct law enforcement or public safety activities. This light must be located so that it does not interfere with the visibility of the vessel's navigation lights.

(b) The blue light described in this section may be displayed by law enforcement vessels of the United States and the States and their political subdivisions.

MLA
09-26-2013, 07:52 PM
white is a 360* light and should never be a problem. If white is seen, its assumed that the boat is at anchor or you are at its stern.

bergermaister
09-26-2013, 11:47 PM
I've run lit up like a blue UFO pretty much every time we're on the water at night and never had an issue - sadly that's only maybe 6-7 times a season. But I don't have anything lit up on the tower.

The blue glow doesn't attract the po po around here much but apparently works well with drug smuggling divers.

trayson
09-27-2013, 01:29 AM
I've run lit up like a blue UFO pretty much every time we're on the water at night and never had an issue - sadly that's only maybe 6-7 times a season. But I don't have anything lit up on the tower.

The blue glow doesn't attract the po po around here much but apparently works well with drug smuggling divers.

Let's see, my boat is black and white. And has Blue LED's around the outside of the tower speakers... I am sure the divers wouldn't like me!

mikenehrkorn
09-27-2013, 08:04 AM

Yeah, I don't think I would have any issues on the water, I was more referring to the glow on the trailer heading down the highway possibly being a problem.

trayson
09-27-2013, 12:14 PM
Pic of the runway lights in action! they were so badass when I was docking last night. I was lovin' it.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n54/phathomthis/Supra/IMG_20130926_200935_864_zps25cd5956.jpg

And a video:
http://s109.photobucket.com/user/phathomthis/media/Supra/VID_20130926_200938_758_zpsdb5790c8.mp4.html

mikenehrkorn
09-27-2013, 12:18 PM
That is very cool!!

powerstroke99
09-29-2013, 06:50 PM
Do you have any day lite pics of the lights not on to see how you attached them with the zip ties?

trayson
09-29-2013, 07:35 PM
Do you have any day lite pics of the lights not on to see how you attached them with the zip ties?

I can get some. Basically, the lights are stuck to the top of the frame rail, and I just looped 2 zip ties around the frame rail with the led strip underneath. But I will get pics no prob.

trayson
10-14-2013, 01:11 PM

Sorry it took so long for me to get these for you.

Some of the OCD types would probably freak out with how I have my zip ties, but I don't really notice them.

here is a pic of the end of the trip, hence the double zip tie at the end.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-TXV_JXx_2UQ/UlwQgQZAkjI/AAAAAAAAPOk/QQiyqH0_K6E/s800/20131001_171223.jpg

chawk610
10-17-2013, 03:50 PM
Been wanting to do this... cool write up! Neat mod!

trayson
10-18-2013, 01:50 PM
Been wanting to do this... cool write up! Neat mod!

Thanks, I really like it. It's also kinda cool in that since it's tied into the trailer's running lights, it will flash the runway lights when I lock the truck and the alarm flashes the taillights.

The bilge switch will also do a "powerup" test whenever I turn on the truck's lights. Basically anytime the truck gives a taillight signal (turning on the headlights for the first time, arming the alarm, etc) it will power up the runway lights for a few seconds.

I pulled the boat in last night in the dark and I have to say it's really awesome to have the runway! And I only spent $45, so not a bad "value" mod.

moombadaze
10-18-2013, 02:15 PM
what about having white lights facing down for night towing to creat a glow effect ?

mmandley
10-19-2013, 12:26 PM
This is the same setup i was working on in the spring when i had all the issues with my trailer lights not being at the proper voltage. My 13 trailer is all LED and i mounted all the lights to the inside of the frame. When i tied them into the trailer harness <like you did> everything went dim and i lost my MOOMBA fender lights.

Planning on woking on this more this winter.

Also i ran Amber the rear of my fenders, then switched to Red. Looks sweet when i use a 9v battery LOL.

bergermaister
10-20-2013, 12:21 PM
Pics or it didn't happen...

trayson
10-20-2013, 01:26 PM
This is the same setup i was working on in the spring when i had all the issues with my trailer lights not being at the proper voltage. My 13 trailer is all LED and i mounted all the lights to the inside of the frame. When i tied them into the trailer harness <like you did> everything went dim and i lost my MOOMBA fender lights.

Planning on woking on this more this winter.

Also i ran Amber the rear of my fenders, then switched to Red. Looks sweet when i use a 9v battery LOL.

Are the rest of your trailer lights LED? Mine are. I think that keeps my overall voltage draw under what the OEM incandescent lights were.

powerstroke99
10-25-2013, 05:31 PM
Sorry it took so long for me to get these for you.

Some of the OCD types would probably freak out with how I have my zip ties, but I don't really notice them.

here is a pic of the end of the trip, hence the double zip tie at the end.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-TXV_JXx_2UQ/UlwQgQZAkjI/AAAAAAAAPOk/QQiyqH0_K6E/s800/20131001_171223.jpg

thanks for the pics.. I think ill add this to the winter bucket list.. but i may try a differnt route in mounting the lights, im one on the ocd side haha

trayson
10-25-2013, 05:52 PM
thanks for the pics.. I think ill add this to the winter bucket list.. but i may try a differnt route in mounting the lights, im one on the ocd side haha Yeah, I've been told that you can use some painter's tape and run a bead of clear silicone to bond them to the trailer. The painter's tape would be on the strip light to make it so you're just getting silicone on the edge of the strip and not covering the LED's.