PDA

View Full Version : What's the best board for a 7yr old

mattva65
02-14-2006, 09:25 PM
Hey,
I need to buy a board for my 7 yr old boy. Any suggestions on size, board type ect.
He's a big 7 yr old 95 lbs.

stang67
02-14-2006, 11:06 PM
You have a couple choices. I looked at the Hyperlite Motive 128 a good mellow board with continuous rocker to help with smoothness of the board. Liquid Force Nemesis 124 is also a good choice. Liquid Force Team 130 is another to take a look at. You can view them at wakeworld.com and has reviews and everything. Or you could get him a liquid force Fish that you yourself could use to! Just some suggestions

Eric

moombacoach
02-15-2006, 02:14 AM
You say your son is a big 7 years old. If that means he is tall you might want to look into a 131 to a 133. The reason I suggest this size is because you want a board that you are not going to fall out the front on when you land a huge trick. Obrien makes a great board for learning called the Oasis. It has three stage rocker which helps in stability and has a rounded edge to help avoid catching your edge. If you are looking for more performance you might try the O'Brien Player 133. It comes with either analog or ion bindings. They have a ton of support and will take you riding to the next level without breaking the bank.

EUSTACE
02-16-2006, 11:22 AM
I would suggest either an HL Motive 128 or the CWB Surge 125 or possibly the CWB 132. The Motive is Murray’s old pro shape and the CWB’s I believe both are former Absolute shapes. You can’t go wrong with any of these as they are all proven boards that your 7 year old can progress on nicely.

The biggest difference is that the Motive is a continuous rocker (which will ride a bit smoother and probably be a little faster) and the CWB’s are 3-stage (which tend to ride a little slower).

Here is a useful link with regards to rocker: http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/CTGY/wakeboard_rocker

IMO I would stay with the smaller of the boards mentioned this will allow him more control while learning.

Good Luck, E

http://www.boardco.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=11072

http://www.boardco.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=10618

http://www.boardco.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=10614

qb12
02-16-2006, 02:59 PM
Man your son is big. My 12 year old weigh's about the same. By recommendation I bought him a hyperlite state 130. It is a very good board that he will be able to use for a few years.

He is doing wake to wake's, 180's and 360's. I bought him the "book" for valentines and he is planning on working on flips this summer.

I saw some pretty good prices on them at evogear.com under there closeout section.

doug, t-town

mattva65
02-16-2006, 08:09 PM
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the suggestions.

Livindadream
02-20-2006, 08:32 AM
My son is 8, and weighs about 85 lbs. He learned at 6 with a Hyperlite Voyager 121 with Mini-Spin bindings. Only thing I have done is change the bindings last year. He really likes how light the board is. Even though he is a big kid, still doesn't have the strength to get a bigger board airborne to jump the wakes. The Voyager is rated for up to 130lbs, so we still have a couple years to go, at least.

mattva65
02-22-2006, 10:44 PM
This is what I got him. 2005 Hyperlite state 125

qb12
02-23-2006, 12:43 PM
Matt, Your son will really like the state. It has great heal side edging.

I just bought for my self at the boat show a 3ds 139 and can't wait to get it out. Heading for the mountains first.

Doug, tulsa

mattva65
02-23-2006, 06:58 PM
The 3ds are really nice looking boards. I like to get one myself.

EUSTACE
02-23-2006, 10:35 PM
Nice Doug,,, I picked up a t 3DS 143 Bio right at the end of the season and never had a chance to use it,,,,,,, cant wait for spring.

I’m coming off a 03 Absolute, which is a great board, but I can hardly wait to give this type of continuous board a whirl.

Peace, E

Sorry for the thread jack ;)

qb12
02-24-2006, 09:27 AM
e, i look forward to getting the 3ds out. coming of a lf evo this board should have much more pop.

matt, you can pick up a 05 3ds for a really good price. i know evogear has them.

the only thing my son said about the board was "dad, it's got a beaver on it."

doug, tulsa

EUSTACE
02-24-2006, 12:34 PM
Also check out Grizzly-Sports, I got a great deal on mine from them.

I have heard that the 3DS is a bit tight with the stock A-wings (1.25’s). My board got shipped with out the fins, so when I contacted Grizzly about it, then hooked me up with a set of (1.0) P-wings. I prefer a looser board so my next move is to go to .8 P-wings.

E.