PDA

View Full Version : Who tracks their gas?

trayson
09-18-2013, 12:33 PM
So, I reluctantly added up my gas over the last few months.

2/22 – 3/24 $449 (ski/snowboard season)
3/25 – 4/22 $404 ($100 boat)
4/23 – 5/21 $213
5/22 – 6/23 $512
6/24 – 7/23 $534 (Jeep Jamboree, boat down July 5th to end of month)
7/24 – 8/22 $709
8/23 - Present $704

This does not include the Tow vehicle (which is the Wife's daily driver) but does include normal in town driving of my M3 or my Audi.

The wife's been spending $60 - $75 a week. She just drives to/from work and a few errands, and then tows the boat ~10 miles to the launch.

wolfeman131
09-18-2013, 12:40 PM
almost every Friday night since the start of April, we stop on the way to the lakehouse and fill (7) 5 gal gas cans with fuel ranging this season from $2.99/gal last week to $3.99/gal at the peak of summer.

So, rough guess is over last 4 months, at an average of $3.25/gal for gas, we've spent some $1,800.

trayson
09-18-2013, 12:59 PM
almost every Friday night since the start of April, we stop on the way to the lakehouse and fill (7) 5 gal gas cans with fuel ranging this season from $2.99/gal last week to $3.99/gal at the peak of summer.

So, rough guess is over last 4 months, at an average of $3.25/gal for gas, we've spent some $1,800.

I wish our gas was that cheap! I paid $4.59 a gallon for ethanol free for quite a few fillups... Premium is still over $4 at all of our local stations.

New Guy
09-18-2013, 01:17 PM
It depresses me way to much to think about but .....
Truck : 20k miles/year / 12mpg = 1667 gallons x $3.50 = $5,833 :(
Boat : 75 hours/year x 6gph = 450 gallons x $3.5 = $1,575

$7408.0

Either way its a big chunk of change.

sandm
09-18-2013, 01:25 PM
^don't let jordan see this thread... ;) she'll want a honeymoon in Fiji.

I did the first year and not again after that. too depressing to see what you pay and at the end of the day, I wouldn't trade any of it for the fun I've had all these years..
what really gets me down are to see the prices I pay and the record profits oil companies keep raking in year after year after year.

kaneboats
09-18-2013, 01:32 PM
Not me. I'm glad they make profits. If it wasn't profitable they wouldn't do it. We have some of the lowest petrol costs in the world. I'm happy to pay a few bucks for what I get from fuel. Look up the breakdown and see how much of your gallon goes to the various taxes. You might quit blaming the oil company and start blaming your gov't.

Wax
09-18-2013, 01:42 PM
Preach!

However, that doesn't discount that they still have record breaking profits. Although how much of that profit is due to the gas us Americans buy, I'm not sure...

Wax
09-18-2013, 01:43 PM
Oh BTW, I don't anymore. Last time I tracked my gas it caused me to sell my truck and buy a car.

skiyaker
09-18-2013, 02:08 PM
I'm with Kane on this one. I don't track mine but my credit card does. It helps me spend money on other things too "Do I really want to download this song from iTunes... Why not I spend that much taking a trip down the course and back... Crap Starbucks costs how much now.. Oh well that's less than one hot lap" you get the picture.

bergermaister
09-18-2013, 04:03 PM
Truck - $2282 to date.

Boat - Report failed for some reason but every penny was worth it.

viking
09-18-2013, 04:34 PM
I only track expenses if I want to change my habits or figure out a way to adjust something somewhere! As far as the boat and my rigs go............I'm not willing to change my habits/hobbies!

Now if it get's to $10/gallon that might be a different story.

saskyrider
09-18-2013, 04:47 PM
i dunno... mine is only bad after eating chili......

seriously though... i don't bother, its to depressing. If i can afford to own a boat i better be able to afford the gas. Luckily the company i work for pays for most of my fuel needs so my bill is lower than most.

trayson
09-18-2013, 04:54 PM
Truck - $2282 to date.

Boat - Report failed for some reason but every penny was worth it.

Especially the pennies spent towing me!!!

parrothd
09-18-2013, 05:02 PM
I haven't check this year, but my costs have gone down(a little, at least I think) with more hours.. :)

I bought these cans below so I could stop paying $5+ at the local marina, instead I pay $3.70 or cheaper at the local gas station. Each can holds almost 6 gallons and they're super easy to use, no stupid epa caps spilling everything. I just kink the hose, stick in the hole then lay it down on the rear pad and it empties by itself almost completely.

I found that one rider doing 2 wake board sets and 2 surf sets averages about 5-6 gallons.

I gave my regular riders a can and have them bring it filled, much easier than trying to get cash.. :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AVA2DJA/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Buy the cans only get this hose, I found it today..

http://dirttricks.com/shop/heavy-duty-gas-jug-spout-with-valve

New Guy
09-18-2013, 05:34 PM
Check out this site to see how your state is doing
http://www.api.org/oil-and-natural-gas-overview/industry-economics/fuel-taxes/gasoline-tax

Wisconsin state plus federal is $.51 in taxes

Man California is a joke $.719 and New York is not far behind $.682 go figure liberals

Scott she definitely sees it lol.

trayson
09-18-2013, 05:59 PM
Check out this site to see how your state is doing
http://www.api.org/oil-and-natural-gas-overview/industry-economics/fuel-taxes/gasoline-tax

Wisconsin state plus federal is $.51 in taxes

Man California is a joke $.719 and New York is not far behind $.682 go figure liberals

Scott she definitely sees it lol.

Actually that was a good reminder. I had come across a process for a refund of the non-highway fuel in my job... (Yeah, I'm a CPA).

In WA there is a form that you can use to apply for the ability to get a refund on the "off highway" fuel use. I just talked to the Washington State Dept of Revenue and the refund is averaging around $0.10 a gallon. Not a ton, but why should I be paying taxes that go towards road maintenance on the fuel that I use in my boat?? Or better yet, why not get a refund on the boat fuel I use if I'm eligible????

This is the form for WA:
http://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/442071.pdf

I'll be doing this from now on.

New Guy
09-18-2013, 06:01 PM
WI doesn't have that refund form.

bergermaister
09-18-2013, 06:33 PM
So I'm intrigued - you can claim a refund of ~ $.10 a gallon, as long as your claim is a minimum of 54 gallons. Hell - that's one good weekend! Do you happen to know what kind of documentation/receipts are necessary to go along with it?

Pretty sure last year's boat gas bill was in the $2k range, so figure approx 500 gallons. I suppose 10 minutes or so of my time is worth $50 as long as I don't have to jump through too many hoops.

New Guy
09-18-2013, 06:43 PM
Berg it's the government do you really think that you won't have to jump through hoops lol that's funny.

Stay awesome!

jmb
09-18-2013, 07:15 PM
$770.00 which was quite cheap this year actually

86century
09-18-2013, 08:46 PM
Around $2600 for boats jet skies and tow rig.
Another $1136 in the rv.

Those damn jet skies have got to go they have used more gas this year than my boat.

Who ever brought this up and made me think about it damn you.

Looking back to my drag racing days fuel for just the car would get crazy $8.50/gal average of 4gal a pass 6-7 passes on Saturday night. The boat isn't so bad.

mnpracing
09-18-2013, 08:49 PM
101 hours of use this year so far....approximate gas total $1,492.23

wolfeman131
09-18-2013, 09:20 PM
101 hours of use this year so far....approximate gas total $1,492.23

"Approximate" to the penny!

Ian Brantford
09-19-2013, 08:58 AM
I only track expenses if I want to change my habits or figure out a way to adjust something somewhere! As far as the boat and my rigs go............I'm not willing to change my habits/hobbies!

Yes, exactly. I imagine an SC rep asking a moderator to delete this thread. It's bad for Moomba's business. :-)

Actually, it did get me thinking about the changes that I almost made this year. I was going to have a boat garage built on my property, but opted for a regular shed that was simply big enough to store my truckload of boat gear (which until now was stored in the basement). The boat garage would have saved me marina storage fees, but frankly I would have lost most of the savings in transportation costs. My truck gets 11 MPG towing, but 24 just hauling people and gear on the highway. I'm glad that I left the boat routine as it was, except for convenience with gear storage.

blackout_58
09-19-2013, 09:19 AM
"Approximate" to the penny!

I can vouch for this, my wife is an accountant and she always asks for the gas receipts. I am choosing not to list my gas usage as it is rather high given the hour drive each way towing (11mpg) and on average (6hrs) of boating everyday, but you cannot put a price on temporary satisfaction :)

Wax
09-19-2013, 09:27 AM
I'm willing to bet none of us gave a flying crap about our future gas bill when we were standing in front of our "new" boat as we were signing papers lol! Shiny "new" boat blurs out the thought of the expenses, at least to me...

trayson
09-19-2013, 11:08 AM
So I'm intrigued - you can claim a refund of ~ $.10 a gallon, as long as your claim is a minimum of 54 gallons. Hell - that's one good weekend! Do you happen to know what kind of documentation/receipts are necessary to go along with it?

Pretty sure last year's boat gas bill was in the $2k range, so figure approx 500 gallons. I suppose 10 minutes or so of my time is worth $50 as long as I don't have to jump through too many hoops.

Greg, you fill out the form that I posted the link to. That will give you an account with the Dept of Revenue. Then once you accumulate 54 gallons you fill out another form that has dollars and gallons and give them receipts. You can file 13 months back so you can accumulate reciepts for a few months and then submit them all at once.

I just took a look at the actual reimbursement form and it's pretty simple really.

bergermaister
09-19-2013, 03:09 PM
accumulate receipts for a few months

That part would be a problem... Maybe next year.

zabooda
09-20-2013, 02:46 AM
Washington state residents can get a refund on the road tax. It takes a lot of gas purchases and keep the receipts. Too much work for me. That includes any off road use like ATVs or machinery.