PDA

View Full Version : Surf Tabs :)

MJR63
09-04-2013, 08:39 PM
Just ordered a set of Lenco surf tabs (aka trim tabs) for my 2002 Outback LSV. My boat leans a little to one side depending on where my passengers sit. Figured these would be an easy way to adjust that plus I heard they can be used to help shape the wake for surfing. I know these are not going to make the wake bigger but I like adjustment! :D

I got a great deal on the kit (edge mount 12" x 9" model 15015-101) and ordered the LED indicator switch kit as well.

I'll post pics of the install and pics of the wave with and without the tabs activated....

Stay tuned,

Mark

bergermaister
09-05-2013, 12:43 AM
Very curious how/where you're going to mount them. Standing by!!!

96Comp
09-05-2013, 07:31 AM
Me too! I have a Comp with the same issue. Basically the same hull. I would definately like to see pics and hear about your results!

NCSUmoomba
09-05-2013, 10:07 PM
I have been wondering about this for years. My Outback is crazy sensitive to weight. I was thinking about trying out the Nauticus Smart Tabs on mine so they would be automatic. I talked to the company a while back about it, but they had never done them on an inboard before.

aerolland
09-06-2013, 09:14 AM
I have been wondering about this for years. My Outback is crazy sensitive to weight. I was thinking about trying out the Nauticus Smart Tabs on mine so they would be automatic. I talked to the company a while back about it, but they had never done them on an inboard before.

I share your comment about our hulls being super sensitive to weight. I find myself all the time telling people to move around. I have also thought about putting auto tabs on it but am a little nervous. I had them on my 21' sterndrive and when deployed, they could bury the bow (cabin cruiser) more than you could imagine. I could see that going very wrong in a DD. I already take water over the bow on regular occasions without ballast.

If you did put in an auto system I would think it would be beneficial to be able to override it and turn it off.

MJR63
09-06-2013, 09:20 AM
The tab system that I'm installing is not automated. It is a manually controlled by a LED dual switch so you adjust them exactly as you like depending on passenger load or activity (ski, wake surfing or boarding).

My tabs should be in early next week!

Stazi
09-06-2013, 09:38 AM
Automatic tabs wouldn't be ideal for our boats at all, especially if you want to surf, as they're designed to keep the boat level. We want the boat to LEAN.

Bennett or Lenco tabs would be interesting to try. I had the Bennet's on my old crusier and you could definitely lean the boat or compensate for lean with them. It may be even better to mount them sideways, a la Malibu's system. Perhaps a trade off between the two...mount them at 45°....I'd want to practice with a non-permanent mock-up first, though....

MJR63
09-06-2013, 09:56 AM
Yea, I've seen the Malibu surf gate and that thought did cross my mind w/ these.... :) But I'm looking to adjust the lean of the boat for normal driving and I'm not sure mounting them at a 45 would do much good for that. I'm hoping to follow the normal contour of the hull and that this install helps w/ normal lean and allows me to fine tune my surf wake.... Similar to Mastercraft surf tabs.

Stazi
09-06-2013, 10:12 AM
Yea, I've seen the Malibu surf gate and that thought did cross my mind w/ these.... :) But I'm looking to adjust the lean of the boat for normal driving and I'm not sure mounting them at a 45 would do much good for that. I'm hoping to follow the normal contour of the hull and that this install helps w/ normal lean and allows me to fine tune my surf wake.... Similar to Mastercraft surf tabs.
I guess level with the outer bottom edges of the hull would work best.

You need to take pics of the surf wake before and after the install as I am sure a lot of people, including myself, would like to see if it improves the wake even further than the lean you get from ballast applied to one side.

moombadaze
09-06-2013, 01:13 PM
You need to take pics of the surf wake before and after the install as I am sure a lot of people, including myself, would like to see if it improves the wake even further than the lean you get from ballast applied to one side.

lots and lots of pics please of the install and wave before and after, would be good to have the person on a board for reference-dont have them free surf but hold the rope so they are very close to the same distance back from the hull.

NCSUmoomba
09-09-2013, 04:13 PM
On my Outback, I would only do the automatic ones if it becomes a ski only boat.

Does MC still do the surf tabs? My buddy had them and he wasn't overly impressed with them.

I am used to them on offshore boats and they can be aggravating in the rough water.

There are a few guys on WW that have been building their on "surfgate" systems. One recently on a MB.

96Comp
09-09-2013, 05:28 PM
Im converting my wakeplate to a Lenco electric wakeplate. Since I will need two actuators and a slightly longer wakeplate, Im going to split the plate. Although wont have the same leverage as outboard tabs, there is not enough room to mount outboard. Besides, the distance from the edge of the wake plate to the edge of the boat is not great, as least compared to boats that need trim tabs. Winter project. Will take pics and let you know next spring if it works!

cornrickey
09-09-2013, 09:47 PM
Here's mine...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVTyaLKVuRA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

MJR63
09-09-2013, 10:30 PM
Im converting my wakeplate to a Lenco electric wakeplate. Since I will need two actuators and a slightly longer wakeplate, Im going to split the plate. Although wont have the same leverage as outboard tabs, there is not enough room to mount outboard. Besides, the distance from the edge of the wake plate to the edge of the boat is not great, as least compared to boats that need trim tabs. Winter project. Will take pics and let you know next spring if it works!

Not sure why you would want to split your wake plate. Looks like all the new Moomba's run a single Lenco actuator with a similar sized tab like the Bennett. Check into it.

MJR63
09-09-2013, 10:32 PM
Here's mine...

Interesting surf gate.... Looks like it works pretty good! Do you have any pis of the unit on the trailer?

cornrickey
09-09-2013, 11:15 PM
I made this to answer some questions for someone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ1n6Ih8W0o&feature=youtube_gdata_player

if your interested I can send you some more pictures.

96Comp
09-10-2013, 06:23 AM
Not sure why you would want to split your wake plate. Looks like all the new Moomba's run a single Lenco actuator with a similar sized tab like the Bennett. Check into it.

I'm using two acuators because they will go in the same location as the manual adjusters. I have each one on the sides of middle swim platform bracket. I could remove the swim platform bracket and use one actuator, but that would actually take more work. Hull is prepped for two, so trying mod that will both help me change the wakeplate on the fly and maybe it will even help balance the boat.

MJR63
09-10-2013, 02:06 PM
Look what just showed up from UPS.... :D

bergermaister
09-10-2013, 02:38 PM
Here's mine...

So briefly, what are your thoughts on running the tab/gate now compared to just loaded up and leaning?

Length, height, cleaner, push, etc.
?

86century
09-10-2013, 07:26 PM
Forgive my ignorance but do you deploy the plate on the non surf side.

wolfeman131
09-10-2013, 08:38 PM
Forgive my ignorance but do you deploy the plate on the non surf side.

Yes, that's how it works.

86century
09-10-2013, 09:47 PM
alrighty then.

Guess I need to see this work in person.

wolfeman131
09-10-2013, 11:25 PM
There are some good vids on the Malibu site and Vimeo. If I remember correctly, the basic premise is that the gate changes the point of convergence of the wake as it comes off the boat. The off side gets pushed further back.

cornrickey
09-11-2013, 01:17 AM
forgive me for high jacking the thread.... prior to building them I was running 750 in the surf rear compartment, 750 on the surf side floor and 1100 in the playpen compartment @11mph. Now I run 750 on the surf side rear compartment, 350 on the non surf side rear compartment and 9.8mph on the goofy side, 10.5 on the regular side. This gives no noticeable lean. The gate isn't noticeable to handling until you get to about idle then it won't turn sharp against the gate. Ive had a noticeable savings in fuel due to the lower speed and weight. Also I like the idea of no lean with regards to oil delivery.
This is my build thread on the Supra forum.http:// http://www.supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?15031-Surf-Gate-Build

saskie99
09-11-2013, 11:31 AM
forgive me for high jacking the thread.... prior to building them I was running 750 in the surf rear compartment, 750 on the surf side floor and 1100 in the playpen compartment @11mph. Now I run 750 on the surf side rear compartment, 350 on the non surf side rear compartment and 9.8mph on the goofy side, 10.5 on the regular side. This gives no noticeable lean. The gate isn't noticeable to handling until you get to about idle then it won't turn sharp against the gate. Ive had a noticeable savings in fuel due to the lower speed and weight. Also I like the idea of no lean with regards to oil delivery.
This is my build thread on the Supra forum.http:// http://www.supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?15031-Surf-Gate-Build

cant get the link to work, please repost it.
Thanks

saskie99
09-11-2013, 11:52 AM
Ok sorry I got it to work, look like a great idea! Has anybody fab on for a moomba lsv? The hull looks very similar and i think i would be able to get it to work. but I am not the engineering type, i can sure build it from instructions but not from scratch.

aerolland
09-11-2013, 11:56 AM
cant get the link to work, please repost it.
Thanks

www.supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?15031-Surf-Gate-Build

MJR63
09-11-2013, 03:12 PM
If you guys really want to see some automated high tech DIY surf gates you should checkout what the malibu crew is doing.... Amazing! Speed deployed and retracted.... Very nice! I'm still moving forward w/ my surf/trim tab install cause I want the ability to adjust any lean of the boat under power w/ the touch of a button. Any surf wave adjustments to me are icing on the cake.

Here is a ton of automated surf gates install DIY's:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42305-the-diy-surf-gate-thread/?hl=poormans

saskie99
09-11-2013, 05:04 PM
If you guys really want to see some automated high tech DIY surf gates you should checkout what the malibu crew is doing.... Amazing! Speed deployed and retracted.... Very nice! I'm still moving forward w/ my surf/trim tab install cause I want the ability to adjust any lean of the boat under power w/ the touch of a button. Any surf wave adjustments to me are icing on the cake.

Here is a ton of automated surf gates install DIY's:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42305-the-diy-surf-gate-thread/?hl=poormans

Keep us posted with pictures and step by steps you take!! I am super interested in this idea!

cornrickey
09-11-2013, 05:47 PM
Ok sorry I got it to work, look like a great idea! Has anybody fab on for a moomba lsv? The hull looks very similar and i think i would be able to get it to work. but I am not the engineering type, i can sure build it from instructions but not from scratch.
Pm sent........

bergermaister
09-25-2013, 05:10 PM
One thing I forgot about that I am most intrigued by is centered around the the more leveled ride with even ballast distribution.

So if I'm putting ~1000 in the rear surf corner to lean now, what kind of wave could I get by having ~1000 in each rear locker to totally bury it, plus my locker/nose weight, plus a gate or tab... A North Shore monster?

I know you can supposedly surf with less weight and a gate, but what about maxing it out? Or is there a point of diminishing returns.

trayson
09-30-2013, 12:51 PM
One thing I forgot about that I am most intrigued by is centered around the the more leveled ride with even ballast distribution.

So if I'm putting ~1000 in the rear surf corner to lean now, what kind of wave could I get by having ~1000 in each rear locker to totally bury it, plus my locker/nose weight, plus a gate or tab... A North Shore monster?

I know you can supposedly surf with less weight and a gate, but what about maxing it out? Or is there a point of diminishing returns.

Your point of diminishing returns with a surf gate will come at the point when the gate's burried so much in the water that the water flowing over the top of the gate negates the delayed convergence that you're trying to achieve in the first place. Basically, if you completely SLAMMED your rear with even weight, you'd have to have a surf gate that was placed high enough to reach to the top of the water level. I have yet to see a surf gate that extends 6 to 8" ABOVE the swim platform...

trayson
10-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Does MC still do the surf tabs? My buddy had them and he wasn't overly impressed with them.

This is what I was thinking. That if Surf Tabs were so awesome, why isn't MC putting them on their new boats anymore??? I've only seen one video where it looks like they're legit and amazing and read quite a few posts saying they aren't all that.

I would be interested to see real world results. it's tempting because the install seems pretty straightforward using existing tech. But I tend to think that if I were going to go the direction of adding something to my boat, that something like Malibu's Surf Gate or Correct Craft's "Nautique Surf System" seem like things that would be more effective (assuming the goal is optimizing the surf wake by delaying convergence). However, admittedly, it seems like your goal isn't completely surf specific. Seems like your goal is just all encompasing and tailored at fine tuning--so this might be great for ya.

Def interested in seeing how it pans out.

cornrickey
10-13-2013, 12:33 AM
Ask and you shall receive...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCINO6POuK8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I can't speak for Malibu but the gates I designed on my boat are legitimate. there isn't a reason for the gates to not allows any water to go over its top but as stated the higher they are out of the water, the more you can evenly load down the boat. I have a full summer on mine and feel I could improve my push by updating to a1000lb bags in the rear lockers and continue to load it with the same ratio. 100% on the surf side, 50% on the non surf side.

beat taco
10-13-2013, 02:35 PM
MC still has a surf package with tabs and extra soft bags. As we added more weight to the X25 the tabs worked well to clean up the lip of the wave.

MJR63
07-28-2014, 05:32 PM
Finally got around to install my Lenco tabs :) I tested them out under normal operation and they work great a leveling the boat under power. Planning on trying them this weekend w/ surfing. I'll keep everyone posted...

bergermaister
07-28-2014, 06:49 PM
Nice install! Waiting for results.....

Curious if you could use these to balance your wakeboard wake some vs shuffling people or filling/draining ballast. Take away some of that weight sensitivity that David Langston has talked about.

wolfeman131
07-28-2014, 06:50 PM
This must be a heck of a challenging mod as it looks like you ordered these almost a year ago. But, I think I like your style, because in my head I see it as, "Yeah, honey I'm going to go out to the garage with a few beers and think this over before I put any holes in the boat."

Nice work! Interested to see the results.

86century
07-30-2014, 09:08 PM
Looking forward to your results.
I built a wake modification system that is working well so far.
That doesn't effect the wake at all at wakeboarding speeds.

My system doesn't require any ballast at all to have a surfable wake.
The wake does get bigger and the pocket gets longer as we add ballast.
Mine is not much different from the one shown at the beginning of this thread other than adjustable for angle and deployment.

bergermaister
07-31-2014, 01:15 AM
Oh come on now! You can't just throw that out there without some more details and pics or vid!!!

moombadaze
07-31-2014, 06:58 AM
Oh come on now! You can't just throw that out there without some more details and pics or vid!!!
that's what I was thinking too

86century
07-31-2014, 08:08 AM
This one is with 900 in the center locker 185# driver 175# person in observer seat and 115# person on the rear deck.
http://youtu.be/u3mbNuZELQA
I have a crappy video taken from the board on my camera and some pictures I will get put up later.

bergermaister
07-31-2014, 10:58 AM
And no rear ballast?
No list/lean? Hard to tell.

I'm intrigued to say the least. Our hulls are so rounded and shallow in the back that not many of the surf enhancement "add-ons" have seemed like it would be worth the hassle due to the fit and limited mounting issues.

86century
07-31-2014, 09:16 PM
No lean at all setting still.
As you start to move however the effect of the gate lifts one side.
http://s916.photobucket.com/user/thehippy77/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140731_183928_228_zps9f812dc3.jpg.html
http://s916.photobucket.com/user/thehippy77/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140731_184102_836_zpsf2b456c8.jpg.html
http://s916.photobucket.com/user/thehippy77/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140731_184055_257_zps6696573e.jpg.html

trayson
07-31-2014, 09:38 PM
Um, not anything new here. It looks like the many surf gate retrofits that tons of people have done.

Basically any of the surf systems that delay convergence make it nice for an evenly weighted boat.

I went with a NSS style system because my flat hull lent itself to that.for me it's a benefot to have a blade vs a gate.

86century
07-31-2014, 10:01 PM
Nope not a new idea at all just adapted to my hull.

Makes for a surf able wave with no ballast of course the wake gets much better as you ad weight to a point.
The main difference in mine is no new holes in the boat.

I tested a blade style for nothing other than how they tuck away when not in use.
Couldn't make it do what I wanted.
This is a crappy video of the gate in action with no rear ballast.
The gate is as low as I can mount it witch is a bit to low as you can see by all the water coming over it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1Ar1PzB1I0&feature=youtu.be

86century
07-31-2014, 10:16 PM

As we continue testing it is possible to get to much weight depending on how the gate is mounted. If you are at the point where the top of the gate is under water at speed its basically pointless. However if you can move the gate up to match then you get a huge wake with a pocket big enough for a semi.

The ability to have the boat set level and still have a good wake is why I started to doing this.
hopefully I will have better videos in the next week or so.

trayson
07-31-2014, 10:43 PM
^^^^ yeap. Different people have different goals and priorities. Mine is a permenent install, so holes in my hull didnt'tbother me.

Mine is a direct drive, so surfing with no ballast wouldn't happen no matter what I did. But with a vdrive, I can see no ballast surfing being realistic. I have a friend that Has a Tige 21' vdrive that I can surf with no ballast and 1 passenger on the surf side (even with driver on the nonsurf side). Certainly makes me long for a vdrive. But with a surf system, I can get vdrive quality wake on a DD.

Plus the ability to swap from regular to goofy in under 10 seconds is awesome. At some point I could add $200 in Lenco trim tab actuators and be able to swap sides instantly and open up the world of transfer tricks... but that's not a priority now.

However, the ability to weight level is a game changer and has elevated our utility and enjoyment of the boat sooooo much I would never go back to "slammed and listed". Level and less slammed is fantastic.

bergermaister
08-01-2014, 01:12 AM
How are you mounting the hinged side of the gate to the hull or platform? Can't quite tell from the pics.

Beejwest
08-01-2014, 01:21 AM
^ what Berg said. Is it just attached to the swim platform brackets somehow? I wonder if those are strong enough over time to handle that kind of load/force. Water at 10mph is extremely powerful. I'd be worred about stress cracks in the gel, and/or hull damage.

86century
08-01-2014, 07:42 AM
Yes it is mounted to thae swim platform bracket.

Flexing and stress over time is a big concern these models are prone to cracking the gel coat just from the stress of people on the platform.
Overall the mount is 22 1/2" long by 3 1/2" wide and 1/4" thick with a triangle support that goes around the platform support.
With a backer on the inside for added support that is a bit longer and wider(don't know the exact dimensions)

We have tested it up to 15mph wile deployed with no flexing what so ever. Much above that and it is no longer in the water.

The next step is to ad actuators for us as well to be able to swap sides on the fly would be great.

cornrickey
08-01-2014, 01:14 PM
And no rear ballast?
No list/lean? Hard to tell.

I'm intrigued to say the least. Our hulls are so rounded and shallow in the back that not many of the surf enhancement "add-ons" have seemed like it would be worth the hassle due to the fit and limited mounting issues.

I would have to disagree with your statement. I was able to drop almost 2000lbs with mine and no lean.... now I would have to partially agree with the hassle part but with anything there is a rate of return for any work. My rate of return is excellent. I'm in Mason County. If you in the area come on up!

trayson
08-01-2014, 01:24 PM
I would have to disagree with your statement. I was able to drop almost 2000lbs with mine and no lean.... now I would have to partially agree with the hassle part but with anything there is a rate of return for any work. My rate of return is excellent. I'm in Mason County. If you in the area come on up!

Greg is down by me in Vancouver. Hopefully he'll have a chance to witness my NSS style system. We tend to ride fairly close to each other on the river. We definitely use the same boat launch.

I think he just needs a little nudge.

Although if someone is used to the heavily listed/heavily weighted wave, it's possible that they aren't willing to give up that little bit extra that they've gotten used to from the whole bunch of extra weight needed to realize that gain.

For you and I, I think we're both willing to accept a minor tradeoff for a huge increase in overall amount of user friendliness of the boat.

bergermaister
08-01-2014, 01:27 PM
Disagree with which part ? LOL the 'not' worth it?

I'd still like to try something for the delayed convergence but I'm not willing to turn my transom into swiss cheese experimenting. Tie-ing into the platform brackets would be great, however I do already have the spider cracks 86century mentioned.

I've watched your surfgate vids both here and on the Supra forum thread. Guess I'd like to see it before I commit to anything.

bergermaister
08-01-2014, 01:38 PM
Would love to see more detailed or closeup shots of these attachment points of your setup.

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/mobv-surfgate.jpg

trayson
08-01-2014, 01:41 PM
I'd still like to try something for the delayed convergence but I'm not willing to turn my transom into swiss cheese experimenting.

Well, someone's gotta have the stones to go all in and make the leap! What pushed me over the edge was a guy with a Malibu that turned my vision for an NSS retrofit into a reality. I had a TON of naysayers, but I love my system and would never go back.

And mine got a LOT of swiss cheese!!! I think like 9 holes per side. Even more holes lately when you factor in transom lights!

cornrickey
08-03-2014, 11:53 AM
Would love to see more detailed or closeup shots of these attachment points of your setup.

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/mobv-surfgate.jpg
I'm not sure if you are asking this of me but those aren't mine in your picture. This video shows them in detail. I made it for a guy who was interested in then a while back. I have changed the latch much for the flap and how if locks when retracted

Wake Gate Detail: http://youtu.be/MZ1n6Ih8W0o

86century
08-04-2014, 07:36 AM
Not a problem. The mount is really crude.

I fabbed it up from some scrap steel a barn door hinge and a turn buckle from tractor supply.

bergermaister
08-04-2014, 06:54 PM
That was directed at 86Century-

I'd want to keep it simple and figure out a quick release pin or something to remove the gate vs just folding it in. I've drawn it up a few times but that's as far as it's gone. I dream up a lot of mods that never make it off paper; dual T-1200 fills per bag, LED rub rails, all kinds of crap.

cornrickey
08-04-2014, 09:32 PM
I can't seem to figure out a faster method than a synch strap. Takes about 30 seconds

86century
08-05-2014, 07:57 AM
I will get you those pictures this evening.

My plan is to replace the pin in the hinge with something removable at some point not sure yet on how I want to do the turnbuckle.

86century
08-08-2014, 09:13 PM
Sorry it took so long. Remember this is a rough prototype so please keep don't be to hard on the looks. And that my hull looks like crap.
http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad7/thehippy77/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140808_162652_210_zpsfdccbced.jpg (http://s916.photobucket.com/user/thehippy77/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140808_162652_210_zpsfdccbced.jpg.html)
http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad7/thehippy77/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140808_162645_997_zps32032217.jpg (http://s916.photobucket.com/user/thehippy77/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140808_162645_997_zps32032217.jpg.html)

chadjitsu1
08-18-2014, 04:58 PM
Looks like you guys are spending a lot of time on these projects. I am thinking about doing something similar to the ones in the Malibu forum. I have a 07 LSV and I would really like to have the trim tab setup like the Swell system. Does anyone know if that is also mounted to the swim platform? I was thinking that I could use it as a trim tab and a wake enhancement device for surfing. What are your thoughts?

86century
08-18-2014, 07:47 PM
The tabs mount to the transom near bottom.

cornrickey
08-19-2014, 12:45 AM
Actuators give a cool factor for sure. But with them comes some challenges. If you follow the guys on the Malibu forum there is a guy who made some amazing electronics to control them. Without the means to index the angle everything then adjust it when needed the system would be ineffective. Retracting then when not surfing (turning back around to pick the survey up after falls) then using a manual switch to put them out again wouldn't work. The effects of the gates out whole turning is minimal compared to the challenges of fixing it. The other issue being permanent. I wanted something that is really removed and leaves no sign it was there. When I installed my leds I routed the wire through my bilge plug so I didn't have to put a unnecessary hole in my boat. Hope that helps

trayson
08-19-2014, 01:49 AM
The other issue being permanent. I wanted something that is really removed and leaves no sign it was there. When I installed my leds I routed the wire through my bilge plug so I didn't have to put a unnecessary hole in my boat. Hope that helps

Whereas I had no problems with my surf system being permanent. I know I won't keep my boat forever, and I know that my permanent surf system that's on my boat will absolutely add value to the boat and will be a selling feature when the time comes to move on. But I'm also in a unique position. I started with one of the most attractive/sought after "budget" direct drive wake boats and improved on it so it goes from throwing a flat slalom wake all the way up to throwing a great surf wave that drives fantastic despite the 2000 pounds of weight. I don't see any reason someone in my "target audience" wouldn't want that.

Don't get me wrong, cornrickey's approach will appeal to a TON of people that want to "leave no trace". And he was ABSOLUTELY one of the pioneers of retrofitting surf systems and inspired me a TON. I'm just not one of those people who cares about bringing my boat back to "stock". I'll mod my boat and be stoked that it'll make it more attractive to the next buyer.

bergermaister
08-19-2014, 12:08 PM
Sorry it took so long. Remember this is a rough prototype so please keep don't be to hard on the looks. And that my hull looks like crap.

Did you weld that to the factory platform bracket or fab up a new one? I guess I'm having trouble envisioning the before and after.

cornrickey
08-19-2014, 12:19 PM
Whereas I had no problems with my surf system being permanent. I know I won't keep my boat forever, and I know that my permanent surf system that's on my boat will absolutely add value to the boat and will be a selling feature when the time comes to move on. But I'm also in a unique position. I started with one of the most attractive/sought after "budget" direct drive wake boats and improved on it so it goes from throwing a flat slalom wake all the way up to throwing a great surf wave that drives fantastic despite the 2000 pounds of weight. I don't see any reason someone in my "target audience" wouldn't want that.

Don't get me wrong, cornrickey's approach will appeal to a TON of people that want to "leave no trace". And he was ABSOLUTELY one of the pioneers of retrofitting surf systems and inspired me a TON. I'm just not one of those people who cares about bringing my boat back to "stock". I'll mod my boat and be stoked that it'll make it more attractive to the next buyer.

Rock on Brother!

My first motivation was I didn't know how this whole thing was going to work so out had to be removable. Additionally it made for easy modifications on the water. My thought was to sell them which I have a couple sets but bring that I form them to the stern out requires the same hull (I use my boat for mock up or getting the actual boat in my shop. As of now and how I'm mortising the hinges into the material (3/4 hdpe) they are taking me 4 days for a set materials are around $150 but in using 5k in machinery.

chadjitsu1
08-19-2014, 04:21 PM
Do you have any updates on this system, this is something that I have been looking to do. I would love to see how it went and if you have any video. Even though these are just trim tabs it seems like they would work out pretty well, I lookes at the supra swell system and they are using very similar actuators but just a different gate at the bottom. This may be a new winter project for me.

Finally got around to install my Lenco tabs :) I tested them out under normal operation and they work great a leveling the boat under power. Planning on trying them this weekend w/ surfing. I'll keep everyone posted...

86century
08-19-2014, 07:35 PM
Did you weld that to the factory platform bracket or fab up a new one? I guess I'm having trouble envisioning the before and after.
No, it is bolted on using the platform bracket bolts.

chadjitsu1
08-26-2014, 12:33 PM
MJR63 do you have any updates of how the trim tab worked on your boat, PLEASE show us

chadjitsu1
09-26-2014, 12:03 PM
Anyone ever set up trim tabs on their boat for surfing? I am really interested to see how this went.

wolff supra21v
09-26-2014, 01:41 PM
I am suppose to go out behind an mastercraft x10 that has tabs today. I plan on taking pics and trying to convert something over to my 21v this winter.

jstenger
09-26-2014, 02:00 PM
Take a look at MB's new surf tabs on their 2015's. It is a complete system that just bolts on. It is a copy of Supra's SWELL in a smaller package.

chadjitsu1
09-29-2014, 09:47 PM
Just took a look at it, it looks awesome. I am still wishing that I knew if regular tabs would work

jmvotto
09-30-2014, 06:37 AM
Just took a look at it, it looks awesome. I am still wishing that I knew if regular tabs would work

I think someone on here did regular tabs...

wolff supra21v
09-30-2014, 08:45 AM
I went and Surfed behind an x10 this last weekend and and I was impressed with the wake. Here is a pic of the tab they are using. the back edge is bent down

I am thinking of trying the Lenco 12"x9" tabs. 12" long 9" wide and the indicator tactile switch kit so I know where each tab is like what the guy had shown in the first part of the thread. I would power this switch with an extra rocker switch on my panel (when the controller loses power it automatic bring the tabs to the full up position.
I was thinking I would try them stock out of the box if that was not good enough I would try and re-shape them later.

Since our season is pretty much over I was going to wait till black Friday or cyber Monday to try and order them. maybe get a little better deal on them.

Mastercraft is using Lenco tabs so I thought about calling Lenco saying I messed my tabs up on my x10 and see they would sell me them.

jmvotto
09-30-2014, 09:36 AM
Nice install! Waiting for results.....

Curious if you could use these to balance your wakeboard wake some vs shuffling people or filling/draining ballast. Take away some of that weight sensitivity that David Langston has talked about.

Yews my buddies X45 use's these tabs to clean the lip of the boarding wake, side to side so its always clean. certainly helps the surf wave but because the boat is so big it still need leaned weight.

Love to see those pics and video of the tab Moomba install.

89PROSTAR
09-30-2014, 10:57 AM
I agree, using the trim tabs is the route I've been looking into. I believe there is a module that retracts or adjust the tabs based on speed. Something like that may work. The effort that has been done to design the removable system is great. A lot of thought has been put into that. For me I want something more permanent.

chadjitsu1
09-30-2014, 11:53 AM
I would like to also see the standard old trim tabs in action, I think the Mastercraft tabs are cool but I'm sure they spent a long time trying to figure out the exact shape they needed to make the wake just perfect. I dont have any brakes or shears to be able to cut metal like that and bend it.

I have been looking at the NEW MB Switch and the Supra swell and honestly think that is the best option. There is absolutley NO reason why you couldn't use the lenco switch with led indicators to control those manually. The excuse that the swell system wont work on a Moomba because it ties into the integrated display is ridiculous, those are just lenco electric actuators.

I think the Swell design would offer two benefits, 1. it would allow you to switch sides without switching ballast. 2. you would be able to trim the back of the boat for uneven weight (people and gear).

I cant tell you how many times I have to mess around with moving water and people just to get a clean wakeboard wake, total pain in the rear. A trim tab / wakesurf fin would be the exact solution

89PROSTAR
09-30-2014, 12:12 PM
I would use the actuator and build the "gate" same as the others have. Cut the plastic to the shape of the transom. You would have to get a hinge and attach to the transom and the "gate" figure out the ram distance and attach that. Sounds pretty straight forward. I just don't want to drill into my boat. You could fab up a mock transom and attach it with whole assembly and see if it works before drilling.

wolff supra21v
09-30-2014, 01:55 PM
I am not a real fan of the gates I have surfed the Malibu and the Axis and Not a real fan of either one. Wake look good on both but I had to work to stay in the wake. I also surfed the 2014 supra SC, 2015 Mastercraft X-10 and a G21 did not have to put any effort into surfing the wave had push every where.

This is why I am thinking tabs and it looks like it would be simple. With my Supra 21V I thank anything would have to help.

chadjitsu1
10-02-2014, 09:19 AM
Has anyone tried to buy the flow system? Will SC even sell it?

jmvotto
10-02-2014, 09:31 AM
yes, call your dealer if it is available for your boat.

aws had it listed on their site, but now its gone from the cart side

http://www.activeh2o.com/wordpress/moomba-flow-surf-now-available-on-2006-lsv-and-newer/

sivs1
10-02-2014, 11:16 AM
I priced it out at the dealer, would be about $2k installed.

mikenehrkorn
10-02-2014, 12:04 PM

Probably depends on the boat and the dealer..........my dealer quoted me $1400 installed on my OBV.

Birdman
10-02-2014, 09:02 PM
they have them for the OBV'S now! are you gonna get one?

Birdman
10-02-2014, 09:02 PM
or two possibly

chadjitsu1
10-03-2014, 07:55 AM

You got a quote for the Swell for your OBV? It was 1400 installed?

mikenehrkorn
10-03-2014, 08:18 AM
they have them for the OBV'S now!

You got a quote for the Swell for your OBV? It was 1400 installed?

My bad, I wasn't paying attention to the thread......that quote was for the Flow not tabs or the Swell.

ShaunD
01-03-2018, 01:08 AM

20524Did those tabs work good for surfing??

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk