PDA

View Full Version : This has to be a scam. Right??

Frznrth
09-04-2013, 01:06 PM
Hi
I saw an add for a 06 Supra 20ssv with 180 hours for $9785. The story is that it was a trade in and the company is just asking for what they have in it. Sounds way to good to be true. But it sounds different than other scams I have seen - they say I can pick the boat up - usually they want to ship it after a money transfer of some kind. I don't know though who exactly is selling it is going through mgXcept Consignors. Has anyone heard of them? If they aren't the scammers (so far they look Ok - I wonder if someone is scamming them?
Thanks for your time.

costanza
09-04-2013, 01:27 PM
Looks like a scam. I just did a quick search and see the same boat in a bunch of different states for sale (Colorado, Jersey, AZ, Portland, Memphis)... Same boat, same story, different state... If you can go and see it and pay for it then, it's definitely a good deal, but it smells and looks more than a little funny...

Frznrth
09-04-2013, 02:23 PM
Yes does seem way to good to be true. Looked into the company and found people who say they have used them with no problems. Last I asked though was exactly where is the boat so I could look at it. Haven't heard back. Don't expect to. Oh well.
Thanks for your time

cab13367
09-04-2013, 02:33 PM
It's most definitely, positively, 100% a scam.

costanza
09-04-2013, 02:47 PM
That's when you usually get the story that you can't view it (someone died and they are selling for them), but if you pay in advance they'll ship it to you from Google warehouse and allow you to return it for a full refund if you don't like it... :o) Good luck!

zabooda
09-04-2013, 03:25 PM
Reporting requirements are stricter above $10K. They are smart enough to learn money laundering laws but it won't keep them from getting busted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_Secrecy_Act

Frznrth
09-04-2013, 04:00 PM
So do u think its the consignment company that is crooked or could they be unaware? If they are scammers they put a lot of effort into it.

This was there last email. Am still asking if I can pick up.

The boat is stored in one of our warehouses in Charleston, WV ....All shipping fees are included in the sale price and for this reason our vehicles are listed on many states...

You will have 10 day return policy and 10 days for inspection before payment. If something won't be like you expected to be you can return the boat without any expense .

All you have to do is to hit the " CLICK HERE to get started " button from INVENTORY - stock # .....and the boat will be delivered to your address. Shipping and Return are free of charge for buyers. It comes with all the documents needed for registration, it has a clear title and it can be registered into your name at any time.

Thank you!
---
Andrew Horton
Sales Department
mgXcept Consignors
http://mgxceptconsignors.com

cab13367
09-04-2013, 04:32 PM
So do u think its the consignment company that is crooked or could they be unaware? If they are scammers they put a lot of effort into it.

This was there last email. Am still asking if I can pick up.

The boat is stored in one of our warehouses in Charleston, WV ....All shipping fees are included in the sale price and for this reason our vehicles are listed on many states...

You will have 10 day return policy and 10 days for inspection before payment. If something won't be like you expected to be you can return the boat without any expense .

All you have to do is to hit the " CLICK HERE to get started " button from INVENTORY - stock # .....and the boat will be delivered to your address. Shipping and Return are free of charge for buyers. It comes with all the documents needed for registration, it has a clear title and it can be registered into your name at any time.

Thank you!
---
Andrew Horton
Sales Department
mgXcept Consignors
http://mgxceptconsignors.com

The consignment company is the scammer. There is no boat. They probably just stole the pics from the internet. I guarantee you, at some point they will ask you to send them payment via Western Union and THEN they will tell you they will ship the boat to you but they won't. I mean honestly, who in their right mind would pay to ship a boat and pay to ship it back if the buyer doesn't like it? Just for fun, tell them you are in Charleston and would like to come down and see the boat. I guarantee you will never hear from them again.

Frznrth
09-04-2013, 06:21 PM
I asked if I could see the boat first - they said "Yes" - but they would need to check if it was still for sale and then set up an appointment. I responded that my friend has an uncle who is a cop in Charlston and that he would be able to do the inspection any time this week or next as he is on holidays. Hmm - haven't heard back from them - isn't that strange. Bastards - hope they all go to jail or rot in hell - or both!

New Guy
09-04-2013, 08:51 PM
Lots of scams out there. I won an eBay action on a ls that was 150 miles from me. I offered to bring the check and pick the boat up. Liars said it was at a storage unit and they would ship it. I bailed and that was a good thing because I found my lsv.

Stay awesome!

beat taco
09-05-2013, 02:05 AM
I asked if I could see the boat first - they said "Yes" - but they would need to check if it was still for sale and then set up an appointment. I responded that my friend has an uncle who is a cop in Charlston and that he would be able to do the inspection any time this week or next as he is on holidays. Hmm - haven't heard back from them - isn't that strange. Bastards - hope they all go to jail or rot in hell - or both!

Noted, I will use that story someday.

kaneboats
09-05-2013, 09:28 AM
Great idea on the copper thing. Too bad folks legitimately looking for a boat have to sift through all the BS out there. Also, it affects what people think these items really cost.

C.Hern5972
09-05-2013, 01:13 PM
send me the money and ill go get it for you... Please send cash

irish-racing
09-10-2013, 01:16 PM
Yeah good cop story. It is almost as hard for honest people trying to sell stuff too. I have had my wife's motorcycle on cycletrader for a few months now and 99% are scammers saying they will "wire" me the money if I give them my bank info. I have seen it a lot because I am constantly selling stuff. Call all of them out and they usually shut up. Except one guy who talked to me for about 6 hours. He talked a lot of sh*t and tried to insult me. Then said he was from Africa and asked if I could help him get a job because he was 11 and had no family. When I said no he said he was going to "F my wife" hahaha good times. Good luck finding a boat.

Wax
09-11-2013, 10:23 AM
Scam scam scam. I can't believe anybody falls for them anymore. You would think there is enough awareness by now, but apparently not. They're getting so prevalent now that they even have US cell phone numbers they'll text you from, I've been getting that a lot lately.

However, my buddy at work has a college friend that contacted him about a deal on a boat last week. It's a 2010 27ft rinker with low hours for $5000. I told him for sure it's a scam, that's insanely ridiculous. But his buddy actually went and looked at the boat, and it's a 20yr old girl who's grandfather died and she inherited it, and his estate apparently paid the lien off. She's kind of white trash and has no idea what she's doing...her and her brother had just been partying on the boat making it all filthy (even had a bucket they were peeing in sitting in the middle of the boat lol), and it's sitting in a slip that's already been prepaid for the year. They are literally on their way to the secretary of state together as I'm typing this to verify that the lien has been terminated, she has the title in her hand. If everything checks out and he actually gets this boat, that's a deal of a lifetime right there. So very VERY rarely, maybe a deal isn't too good to be true!