PDA

View Full Version : Steering Cable Replacement

deerfield
09-02-2013, 05:32 PM
2007 Moomba Outback

Removed engine cover from boat.
Pulled floor board behind and in front of engine.
Disconnected Teleflex cable at rudder and steering column.

Job came to a halt.

Cannot for the life of me pull the cable. Something causing it to bind under the floorboard beneath the drive seat and can't reach it. Or, factory zip-tied it to other stuff running under the floorboard.

Ideas? Suggestions?

maxpower220
09-02-2013, 08:02 PM
I assume that you have already attached a line so you can get the new cable back through.

There may be a zip tie, it should not have one (or more), or something is caught or catching. The only one that I have done, I pulled it forward from to the opening on the floor near the drivers area.

Once you loose all patience, won't it be satisfying to just replace what ever gets ripped out in that final heave-hoe.

bbuhtz
09-03-2013, 05:21 PM
I just replaced mine in July and it came right out, I had no zip ties or anything of the sort keeping it from coming out. I had my whole floor pulled when I replaced mine.

Might just go with Max's suggestion, ha.

deerfield
09-03-2013, 08:23 PM
I assume that you have already attached a line so you can get the new cable back through.

Yup. Fifteen off section of my slalom line, plus duct tape. Gonna give it another try this weekend.

deerfield
09-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Good news. Old cable has been pulled. Problem last weekend pulling the cable had nothing to do with zip ties. Just me -- not thinking. Will update when the new cable arrives and is installed. Be back here in two weeks. Cheers!

kaneboats
09-08-2013, 10:37 PM
Glad to hear it's all better.