PDA

View Full Version : Tinting the walk thru windshield

BigRed0803
02-11-2006, 02:45 PM
I am looking to get my glass on my 04' Outback tinted. I have called a couple tint shops but they all tell me it is best to tint the glass with it out of the boat. To add to this I have had a few people tell me that if I have the glass taken out that it is almost impossible to get it back in looking exactly like it did. If anyone has went through this or know somebody that has please let me know to save me some trouble. Thanks alot

jayphxoutback
02-11-2006, 04:16 PM
I wanted to get mine done as well! I was going to call this week i will post up is i get a different response. I would not let any one take the glass out. Just sounds like the start to a bunch of problems.

BigRed0803
04-11-2006, 09:23 PM
I had my windows tinted with 5% limo tint and let me tell you they look awesome, much better than stock.

Wolf-
04-11-2006, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by BigRed0803
I had my windows tinted with 5% limo tint and let me tell you they look awesome, much better than stock.

Hrm...might reduce the glare I get off all that new white fiberglass....

xtremmarine
04-12-2006, 04:10 PM
I don't know if i am late on this one but I had my mobuis V done and it took my local tint shop no time at all. I must tell you that it brings a whole new look to your boat

Smrtz
04-12-2006, 04:22 PM
xtreme, did they remove the glass from the frames to tint it or did they tint the glass with it installed in the boat??

BigRed0803
04-12-2006, 06:57 PM
Some tint shops want to take the windows out and some say they can do it with them in. I found one shop local that did my tinting with the windows in the boat. DON'T let a tint shop take the glass out of your boat I have heard some horror stories from my friends who allowed a shop to take their glass out and they told me that it was hell trying to get everything back in like it used to be. The glass does look awesome with it tinted, 5% is the only way to go and I got it done for around $175.00

Wolf-
04-12-2006, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by BigRed0803
Some tint shops want to take the windows out and some say they can do it with them in. I found one shop local that did my tinting with the windows in the boat. DON'T let a tint shop take the glass out of your boat I have heard some horror stories from my friends who allowed a shop to take their glass out and they told me that it was hell trying to get everything back in like it used to be. The glass does look awesome with it tinted, 5% is the only way to go and I got it done for around $175.00

Got Pics?

xtremmarine
04-13-2006, 02:45 PM
No they did it with the windows in it cost me 120 bucks from the same guys that did my Tahoe. The side windows gave them a little trouble. But in all it took about two hours to do.

Smrtz
04-13-2006, 02:48 PM
Anyone that has before and after pics I'd like to see the difference

BensonWdby
04-13-2006, 06:37 PM
3M used to make a tinted film that you applied with soapy water and a squeege. I bet it is sttill out there. Not sure how durable it is. If you were going to do that I would tink you would wnat to do it on the inside of the panes...

JesseC
04-13-2006, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Smrtz

Anyone that has before and after pics I'd like to see the difference

I also need for someone to post pictures. I would really like to do this, but I need to show the wife why we need to have this done. I think it would look really good, but pics would really help.

mattva65
04-14-2006, 07:35 AM
PICS, NEED PICS

Rugburn
04-14-2006, 08:35 AM
That is a great idea to tint the windows. Im going to give it a try this weekend. I have all the tools from my sign shop to work with so I think I could give it a good shot. Are their any regulations on how dark they can be? I know some states have laws that say how dark the tint can be for your car windows. I dont want the local lake Popo putting a halt to a nice day out boating.

BensonWdby
04-16-2006, 10:47 AM
Googled +window +tint +film

http://www.gilafilms.com/RV/rv-glare.htm
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ab_windows/article/0,2021,DIY_13702_2271201,00.html
http://www.tintdude.com/

Compare:
http://www.nextag.com/tint-film/search-html

HTH
Dave

pickle311
04-16-2006, 07:50 PM
I would not recommend doing it yourself because of the curved glass, it will kick your butt. Leave that one to the pros. For the tint to make the bend without wrinkling, it has to be heated with a heat gun to shrink it and that is something that takes experience to get right.

zabooda
04-16-2006, 10:23 PM
I think the tinting really adds to the boat but would be concerned when the walk-thru windshild is open and try to see through glass that is double darkened.

Rugburn
04-17-2006, 09:31 AM
I picked up the 5% limo dark window film. After holding up to the glass it occured to me that this might make it harder to see at night. I take my boat out at night almost as often as I do during the day. Im going to install it and see how it goes but if it's too dark and hinders my view at night, its coming right back off. I might leave it on the side windows just to see how that looks.

Also, if you are installing this film yourself, dont use a heat gun. Borrow the wife's blow dryer instead. Set it to a low setting so its not blowing very hard but the heat is high and that should do the trick. In my experience installing sign graphics, a heat gun is over kill and Ive seen people "bake" things. You can even cook the adhesive on the back of the film and its ability to stick is hindered.

Smrtz
04-17-2006, 09:49 AM
Rugburn,

If you can post a pic once you have finished. I really want to see what this looks like!

Rugburn
04-17-2006, 08:47 PM
Ill be getting started on it this weekend. Ill post a few pics to get some feedback.

xtremmarine
04-18-2006, 01:06 PM
I sure do I can email them to you if you like just shoot me a email at [email protected]

xtremmarine
04-18-2006, 01:09 PM
I sure do I can email them to you if you like just shoot me a email at [email protected]

xtremmarine
04-18-2006, 01:14 PM

xtremmarine
04-18-2006, 01:15 PM

Rugburn
04-24-2006, 10:18 AM
I installed 5% limo tint to the side windows of the windshield. The install went pretty smooth, hardest part is trimming the extra so you dont get that sliver of light between the rubber seal and the film. Nor do you want to cut the rubber trim. Otherwise it looked really cool. Ill post a picture before I take it off. I took the boat out yesterday and even in bright sunlight, I thought it blocked my view more than Im comfortable with. I cant even image it being that dark over the entire windshield. I was out past dark and those side windows might as well been completely painted black. If I can find either 1% or 2% film, Ill give it another try, but this 5% is coming off. Looks cool but cant see thru it well enough.

clark
04-25-2006, 11:07 AM
Jim,

The 5% means that 95% is blocked. This is as dark as you can get unless you spray paint it black. Most cars that have aftermarket tint is 20% or 35%. If you want to lighten it up quite a bit, go for the 35% or see if you can find 50%.

Clark

Smrtz
04-25-2006, 11:20 AM
Ya good point rugburn... if you cant see that cant be safe... wont look too cool if you hit something or someone because you cant see!