PDA

View Full Version : Buying off Ebay, sight unseen?

Claytorman
08-26-2013, 03:53 PM
I am in the market for a boat. I look on Ebay now and then. Do people really buy a boat sight unseen off Ebay. Personally, I would never buy a boat that I haven't thoroughly inspected and test drove. There are a couple of auctions that I have been watching that are close to $30k. The auctions have only been going on for two days and they have at least 8 different bidders on each. You know that all 8 of these people could not have seen and inspected the boat in 2 days time.

Am I just too conservative and safe?

Kidder522
08-26-2013, 04:02 PM
Hey Claytorman,

Bought my Outback out of Eugene Oregon 2 years ago sight unseen, but it was from a dealership on Boat Trader. They were very honest and answered all my questions. I also spoke to the owner of the shop, which made me feel a little less nervous buying not only off the internet, but out of the country!! I also checked their website out and the BBB in Eugene to see if they were a reputable business. It is always a risk buying sight unseen, but I know the members on the forum would probably check it out if they are in the area of where it is located. I think if you do some calling and talking with the seller, you will get an idea of their knowledge of the boat, who has driven it and the maintenance of it.
But there is always risk, and 30K is nothing anyone likes to risk.

Kidder

kaneboats
08-26-2013, 04:31 PM
You're really only risking your deposit. It might be worth it if the boat looks good and you get to see it before you pay the balance. You might even be able to get your deposit back through paypal of the merchandise is not as it was represented. PITA though. Most people put the boat on ebay to get it out there and then sell it locally.

csm
08-26-2013, 04:33 PM
I found my boat on ebay, but didn't technically buy it through ebay. The reserve for my boat was about $1k more than I wanted to pay, so after the auction ended with nobody winning it, I contacted the seller and said I was willing to pay $1k less, and we worked out a deal. However, I drove up to pick up the boat myself (about 10 hours away), so nothing was paid for until I had looked it over. I would have been nervous making a commitment on ebay w/o seeing a boat.

clarkely
08-26-2013, 05:25 PM
i have bought off of ebay - most sellers wont even want a deposit if you are going to be there in a day or two of auction close - as long as you contact them and discuss it all.....

I have taken a gamble or two - but then i seem to get lucky or be good in my read of people ....... i had a 4+ hour each way to pick up mine,,,,,and quite frankly did not have time to lake test it...... i did my homework on the company and the guy selling it himself as far as background checking...... and when i met him he seemed trustworthy ....as it turned out boat ran fine......

like anything else do your homework and go from there......

cornrickey
08-26-2013, 05:51 PM
I've sold two items items after there eBay auction ended. it's a super cheap way to advertise.

jyj1189
08-26-2013, 06:58 PM
I just had the same experience. Found my boat on eBay through a google search of what I was looking for. Contacted the seller before the auction ended to try and work something out as to time frame for pick up, I live 1000 miles from where the boat was. Auction ended without a winning bidder. Spoke again with the guy and worked out a deal, had the boat a few weeks and a long drive later. It helps to find out the seller's name and google it. Found out my guy owned one of the largest home builder in the south.

cornrickey
08-26-2013, 09:07 PM
I had a 25k item on it and had at least a dozen people ask " what will it take to win it" I always laughed and answered " the highest bid above my reserve". Then I would tell them to contact me if it doesn't sell. there's allot of sharks out there.

parrothd
08-26-2013, 10:49 PM
EBay is the safest buy, if you do the transaction thru eBay you're fully covered. You can even pickup the boat, use it for 60(maybe 45) days. If you're not satisfied you submit a item not as described dispute. You can force the seller to either give a partial refund or take it back.. :eek: eBay screws the seller, they'll pretty much side with the buyer in almost all cases...

Bottom line never sell anything on eBay, only buy..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

cornrickey
08-26-2013, 10:59 PM
wholly crap. I didn't know that. there would be a fight if someone used my boat for 45 days and then decided to return it. that's crazy talk there, but I'm sure it's true.

parrothd
08-26-2013, 11:15 PM
I used to sell/buy a lot on eBay, sold 2-3 cars & boats, I got hit with this scam selling my old cell phone. My options were to fight it out which can take forever and the funds are taken out of your account until the issue is resolved, or give a refund that the buyer will accept or ask them to return the item and hope they don't break it or put rocks in it's place.. I chose the refund and it was clear the buyer knew what he was doing... I got lucky it only cost me $60 and a lot of stress, but I'll never sell again on eBay... If it would've been on a car or a boat it would've really cost me...

sandm
08-27-2013, 07:29 AM
I have sold over 250 items on ebay and only ever had 1 bad experience. overall it's a great way to buy and sell if you are careful about it.
sold my '98 eclipse on it and sold both my '03 and '06 evo's.

I prefer ebay to craigslist for most things as it takes the personal touch out of the equation. just sold my 2 old htc tmobile cellphones on ebay. cl might have netted me $30 each and having to deal with all the "take payments" and "just seeing if you still have them" is a pita. sold in 2hrs for $150/pr, money funded in another hour and they are gone next day. no questions, no hassles and no negotiations..
cl for me are only for items that are a pita to ship and mark it up accordingly knowing you'll have to deal.

powerstroke99
08-27-2013, 07:58 PM
bought my boat off ebay just this last june sight unseen 1300 miles away, talked to the guy got alot of pics, wired the money, had it shipped up via uship.com and havent had a single problem.. hell its was deal!! 32K for 07 XLV with 210hrs

The day i got it!

http://s13.postimg.org/gz31kxh83/IMG_1525.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/gz31kxh83/)

parrothd
08-27-2013, 08:18 PM
Nice I bought mine in phoenix and used uship to Chicago, just made sure to insure it..

skiyaker
08-28-2013, 08:19 PM
buying a boat without inspecting it is a terrible idea, but that's how I bought my Nautique. I bought it from a ski junkie I met on another forum and after talking with him on the phone I was pretty sure I knew what I was getting. We found a guy to tow it across the country and it ended up working well, but when I think about what I did it still seems nuts. I held back some $ that we agreed I would pay after the boat got to my house, started and ran properly, and looked like it did in the pics.

New Guy
08-30-2013, 10:01 AM
Man you stole that XLV!

04OUTBACK
09-02-2013, 09:32 PM
Ask for phone before bidding. Call and talk. See if you can find Someone to review it!
I bought first boat on eBay only after talking to seller several times.

irish-racing
09-10-2013, 05:20 PM
Bought my first boat on ebay sight unseen. Talked to the seller a few times he was upfront and honest about everything. Boat was in the shape he told me it was. He was just a guy trying to sell a boat. Like people have suggested just try to talk to someone before hand and look at their seller rating.

Wax
09-11-2013, 10:11 AM
Definitely talking in person, and of course looking at their seller rating, is very important for something of that magnitude. If the seller isn't willing to talk to you on the phone before you bid, red flag.

Bought my LSV on this forum sight unseen, drove 5 hours to meet the seller (who also drove 5 hours) with a check in my hand. Was exactly what I was looking for; I could tell the seller was honest, he was up front about everything and sent me a lot of pics. We talked on the phone and texted many times throughout the whole process, he was always available. I was also looking at boats on eBay, and there was an 07 Supra Launch in Texas and also one in Indiana I was pretty interested in; I probably would've bought either sight unseen if I hadn't bought my LSV becuase they both had a lot of detail and contact information for the seller.

I've bought quite a few other expensive things sight unseen, some on eBay and some through other methods (CL, Autotrader, etc). I think you can get a feel for it when you talk to them in person, definitely go with your gut and don't proceed if you feel iffy at all. If it's something really expensive, I always talk to them on the phone before I bid. I bought a 01 Mustang Saleen S281 vert from NJ sight unseen about 6 or 7 years ago, a few trucks including an 07 Ram 3/4 ton last year in PA and a 01 F350 diesel about the same time as the Saleen. I've also bought a handful of motorcycles and dirbikes off eBay sight unseen. I've never had a bad experience, because I've never gone forward with a deal unless I was completely comfortable with the seller over the phone.

I owned an ebay store, like an actual retail location (but not a franchise, my own) for a couple years. I sold quite a few motorcycles, cars, boats, trailers, etc. I was always very honest and took as many pictures as I possibly could, especially if there was any type of blemish. I also always did a video if it was a vehicle. I never had an issue as a seller either, because I was always completely up front, honest, and available to be contacted; I think people can catch on to that.