PDA

View Full Version : Skiers Choice Boat Covers

Witt
02-09-2006, 04:35 PM
How many of y'all have a Moomba cover for your boats? I am trying to be cost effective, and 550 for a cover does not seem cost effective to me. My boat is always garaged or under a carport, so I figured that a generic sporting goods store boat cover would prolly do the trick? Any advice? Oh yeah, and what would the best way to "engineer" the cover to fit around the tower mounts, with the tower in the down position? thanks

AZ_Calling
02-09-2006, 05:09 PM
I got the cover from the boat show as well. Since I park my boat in the garage, and you are advised not to trailer the boat with it on, I have yet to use the cover.

rdemore
02-09-2006, 05:11 PM
You can find a new custom cover for about 250-300 on Ebay

silverski
02-09-2006, 05:53 PM
I got the cover as part of the initial purchase. However, there were other items in the boat show incentive that I deemed more important, so I took the strategy of negotiating the price and then asked them to throw in the boat cover for half price. My gut told me that there was probably 100% markup on the item and that it would cost the dealer no time or effort to give it to me at their cost (no install work and shipped with the boat) It must have worked as they gave me the cover for slightly more than half price. Either that or I paid way to much for the boat and they felt sorry for me.

I do store the boat in a garage. Generally off for most of the time but works well in the off season and when on trips. I did use it once to trailer when it started to rain and I didn't want my stuff to get wet. Not ideal but got me through that instance. You would think for $550 that it would be trailerable.

tys_kanga
02-09-2006, 07:25 PM
The dealer I use gave me a price at a little over $400, however that is with out a tower.

future
02-09-2006, 08:06 PM
I also got one just because I wanted it to fit prefect and it does. I also store mine in a garage and keep it covered just to keep dust and what not out of it. I also like how it says moomba across the windshield I think it looks pretty cool.

moombadaze
02-09-2006, 09:19 PM
did get the cover with the boat--allready on it.
boat is garaged and then covered in the winter-about 3 months long.
also used when we went camping at lake lanier georgia to keep tree
leaves and bird droppings off the inside.

fits nice and works good.

jburnside
02-09-2006, 10:03 PM
Factory Cover for sure. On our new Mobius we ordered it with the snap-on bow and cockpit covers, Works perfect and we have actually towed the boat with the covers on.

NH Moomba
02-09-2006, 10:29 PM
My cover was destroyed by bunch of snow sliding off a roof. It was an early storm and I hadn't yet gotten it shrink wrapped. I bought a new cover from Bart's and it is much better quality and fits better. It was about 250 for the medium quality material (sharkskin). I would get the better material if I did it again, not because there are quality issues with the sharkskin but that the sunbrella material would stuff into the storage bag more easily.

Andy

lowdrag
02-10-2006, 09:04 AM
I wouldn't mind buying the snap in cockpit and tonneau covers with the boat, but after my last boat I wouldn't spend the money for the full cover. The fit for the cover was not that great and I've heard other people that have had the same problem. No matter how I arranged that support posts I could not keep water from pooling during a decent rain. I ended up buying an aftermarket cover support system to take care of the problem.

Not to mention that for the price of the factory cover which is canvas you could almost buy a custom fit aftermarket sharkskin cover.

lowdrag
02-10-2006, 09:06 AM
I actually meant for that price you could almost buy a sunbrella cover, not the sharkskin.

Dave A
02-10-2006, 10:56 AM
I bought the snap on cover also. My boat stays in the garage, so the only time i use it is trailering to the lake and the few times I do keep it outside. Fits greats and keeps all the other stuff we haul to the lake inside the boat while on the road.

Smrtz
02-10-2006, 05:24 PM
I purchased my boat with the full cover not the snap down. the only issue. There is nothing like the fit that you get using the exact cover that is made for your boat.
My only issue has been that I have to remove it to travel wit hthe boat. If I do not the straps rub against the gelcoat and makes marks its like sand paper.
So Im torn because I like the protection the cover offers against rocks and stuff flying up and hitting the boat but am concerned about the marks on the finish.

Has anyone else experienced this and or fixed the problem??

qb12
02-10-2006, 05:27 PM
Rankin probably makes he best trailable cover. no straps means no scratches in the gel coat.

but they are pricey but look great.

future
02-10-2006, 10:12 PM
No offense but in regards to the snap covers I would never put one on my boat. My dad had one on his and I didn't like how hard it was to get it snapped. I also didn't like how after a few years of use when you tried to un-snap it it started pulling the whole thing off. And if it didnt pull the bottom piece off it would tear a hole in the material . Just left a bad taste in my mouth.

rdemore
02-11-2006, 11:47 AM
I have a factory cover and I do trailer the boat short distances <30 miles with the cover on. My dealer says it is ok and I do not have any trouble with rub marks from the straps

Ian Brantford
02-11-2006, 01:09 PM
My XLV was delivered from my dealer to my marina (500km) with the full cover on. The straps rubbed on the gelcoat and left black marks. Some of it comes off easily, but I still have not decided how far to go to the the rest of the marks out. I advise to avoid straps on the road.

Ian

Smrtz
02-11-2006, 02:30 PM
Yes thats what Im saying also I dont mind using a light rubbing compound to take the scratches out but you cant do that over and over again. Any input as to how this would prevented besides buying a new cover would be great.

lowdrag
02-12-2006, 08:19 AM
The only thing I can think of is to make something to cover the straps. The foam tubes you can buy at Walmart for playing around in the swimming pool come to mind. Buy 1 or 2 of them and cut them to the length you need. They are split on one side and you could slide them right over the strap. Don't know if they would stay on while trailering though unless you wrap some tape or something around them.

Smrtz
02-12-2006, 06:13 PM
good idea Lowdrag, Im gonna try that ( in 77 more days)

thanks!

SkiKY
02-16-2006, 02:37 PM
Instead of using straps to secure the factory covers, a canvas shop can install snaps on the underside of the rub rails and onto the factory cover itself so the cover can be secured by snaps instead of straps. My neighbor had it done on his factory Malibu cover and it works very well and the snaps are almost unnoticeable. It works especially well for covering the boat while it is moored on the water.

mattva65
02-16-2006, 08:14 PM
That sounds like a good idea. You wouldn'thappen to have any pics of it ?

SkiKY
02-17-2006, 09:23 AM
My neighbor has the boat in winter storage so I couldn't send pictures for another month or so.

bogey
03-04-2006, 01:05 PM
I have gone through 2 moomba covers in the last 3 years. I keep the boat under cover during the winter. It is only exposed during the summer to rain.
My new one is already showing wear at the back where the drawstring is.
I will be looking for something different the next time.