PDA

View Full Version : which to buy, a 2006 or 2008 LSV?

Claytorman
08-22-2013, 01:57 PM
Hey guys - I need your help here. I am looking to buy a LSV. I have two on my radar that I am going to look at. One is a 2006 and the other is a 2008. Below are the differences between the two, everything else is equal between them. Which way would you go?

2006 LSV - 210 hours, perfect pass, gravity I ballast, 4 tower speakers, dual amps, two subwoofers, dual batteries, dual axle trailer, $32K

2008 LSV - 146 hours, Moomba cruise, gravity III ballast, no tower speakers, factory sound system, no subwoofer, single battery, single axle trailer, $34K

I want to use the boat for tubing, wakeboarding, and surfing. I am a decent wakeboarder now, but definitely want to learn to surf. I have two boys 11 and 13. With the 2006, I will need to add ballast. With the 2008, I would want to add at least two tower speakers. I really don't care about having a killer sound system. Just something that I can hear at a reasonable volume while surfing or wakeboarding. The prices on both sound pretty firm.

What is the difference between the perfect pass and the Moomba cruise?

jmvotto
08-22-2013, 02:13 PM
pp is better IMO, have any pictures. You would most likely redo the ballast system anyhow.

and what type of stereo, sometimes its does not pay to buy the system. I guess I would lean to the 08.

REDFIVE48
08-22-2013, 02:17 PM
All else being equal, would get the 2006 for the following reasons:
1 - it costs less to upgrade/add ballast than it does to add tower speakers, amps and subs
2 - you would need to upgrade the ballast on the 08 to surf, the stock ballast on my 06 didn't provide enough wake to surf
3 - perfect pass is very cool, never messed with the Moomba cruise
4 - many people have had issues with the torsion axles failing (myself included) on the trailer, with dual axles you are not stuck on the side of the road
5 - just added dual batteries to mine, like the upgrade

kaneboats
08-22-2013, 02:29 PM
I might decide this one based on how far I tow. The dual axle is a better trailer (I have single and have had no problems though). Does either have the swing-away tongue? That was a deal maker/breaker for me. PP is awesome and is a $1000 consideration. Ballast you can add yourself-- same with tunes. Let's see pics of them both. (By the way, you can't go wrong either way-- they are the same hull so condition is very important.)

Claytorman
08-22-2013, 03:25 PM
The drive to the lake for me is 12 miles each way, so not very far.

If I can add 2 tower speakers with the factory amp on the 2008, I would be golden. Wetsounds has a pair on closeout for $400. That would be plenty of sound for me.

To upgrade the 2008 gravity III system to 1100lbs is $215 per side. To upgrade the 2006 gravity 1, I think that I would be looking at $1500 for bags, pumps, switches, then a bunch of wiring and plumbing.

It looks like the Moomba cruise is an rpm based system, while the perfect pass is speed based from the paddle wheel. Upgrading to perfect pass looks to be $1000, if I really need it. I have never used either.

I attached pics. Solid blue boat is the 2008. The overall condition of both seem to be pretty good.

This is a tough choice! I do like the color scheme on the 2006 better.

brain_rinse
08-22-2013, 03:42 PM
Condition, color, and the trailer are the things that are tough to change... I wouldn't consider stereo or ballast in your decision as you will likely be upgrading both if you spend more than a few minutes on this forum. :)

EDIT: just saw your last post with pics and details. 2008 all the way

Claytorman
08-22-2013, 04:01 PM
I just found out that the 2006 is actually Moomba cruise and not Perfect Pass, so that takes one more thing out of the equation.

Wax
08-22-2013, 04:06 PM
Wow, if only you could combine options from each to get just the right combo lol!

I have the stock G3 ballast with 1100lb bag in the back left (you're definitely going to want it for surfing). My ballast pumps are all stock, and it takes quite some time to fill that 1100.

Perfect pass is a must have in my opinion. How I see it, if you get the 06 you get a better trailer, have perfect pass and a sweet stereo (I could care less about that, but it's still a lot of money), and to boot you save $2k on price! You could put that $2k into a complete new faster filling ballast system (probably not even that much) and have kick@$$ everything. That boat would be completely decked out. For that $2k you could easily plumb in new faster pumps, rear 1100lb sac, and even an in bow sac probably!

If you get the 08, you're going to buy new bags regardless, the ballast will fill slowly like mine does, if you want a kickin stereo then there's a bunch of money right there, not as good of a trailer, and you'll spend $2k more on the boat! Plus you like the 06 color scheme better, and I don't blame you...not too into the complete blue myself, and I like the graphic on the 06 better.

BTW, looks like 08 also doesn't have a bimini top.

The only other consideration I would say is negotiation...what will they come down to? If you're always at a $2k higher premium for that 08, in my opinion it's a no brainer to go with the 06.

HOWEVER, you'll love either!!!!

Wax
08-22-2013, 04:07 PM
I just found out that the 2006 is actually Moomba cruise and not Perfect Pass, so that takes one more thing out of the equation.

Awwww poop...that's $1300 right there. But the 08 doesn't have it either, so you're kind of apples to apples even more now. Still, in my opinion, 06 is a better deal pending what you could negotiate on either!

brain_rinse
08-22-2013, 04:23 PM
Do you want to consider resale in your decision?

Claytorman
08-22-2013, 04:29 PM
Yea, Wax, this is hard. Both sellers sound pretty firm on price. I was leaning to the 2006 when I thought that it had Perfect Pass. Now I am thinking the 2008. I am just thinking that you get a 2 year newer boat with 60 less hours on it for only $2K. In the future, if I sell, I think the 2008 would have a better resale value.

But, you have a point, about taking that $2k and putting it into a ballast system for the 2006.

The other thing is that I am going to look at the 2008 first and then the 2006 2 days later. But, in between that time, someone else is supposed to come look at the 2008. So, if I don't pull the trigger on the 2008 before seeing the 2006, I may lose that one. Maybe, I just wait until I see the 2006 and if those other people buy the 2008, fate will have helped me to decide.

patrick232
08-22-2013, 04:30 PM
I would go with the 2008 for a few reasons:
Both boats you will upgrade the ballast
Factory speakers in the 06 might be dried out and need replaced, I have done the bow speakers in mine next the cockpit
Think they changed to thicker vinyl in 2007 or 2008, I have a few cracks on my center sunpad rear by vents. Happened on last outing, fixing in off season
Single axle easy to move in tight spots
Or My 2006 Orange and White LSV has 170 hours for $30K so I can order a new Mondo
GI ballast
750 bags in rear with Tsunami pump
Tower speakers with PM
Single Axel Trailer new tires in 2012
Let me know if you want more info, if not no biggie not sure if I'm ready to sell.

Wax
08-22-2013, 04:36 PM
^^There's another option right there!

Honestly, don't worry about another buyer. We're not talking a $200 moped, we're talking a $34k boat. Most people don't pull the trigger immediately when they look at one, because it takes a minute to digest. Although...I bought mine here on the forums sight unseen the minute I saw his ad LOL!

Take your time, there will always be boats available and fate will decide. My boat that I found on here is literally EXACTLY what I would have ordered from the factory if I had hypothetically ordered myself a new boat back in 06. It was a complete no brainer for me, had everything I was looking for and was exactly the color I wanted.

newty
08-22-2013, 04:59 PM
They redid the dash, heavier vinyl, and heavier carpet in 08. 07 and 08 both had the good bolster seat they still use in the supras. Before and after weren't near as nice.
There was a change in the windshield 07 to a longer swooping windshield. All of this is cosmetic really. I would really wait until you see the condition of the boat in person. Hours are nothing when people take really good care or beat the heck out of their boats.

kaneboats
08-22-2013, 05:32 PM
Does the 2006 have all the stainless stuff on the interior, i.e. grabhandles, etc.? I'm pretty sure it doesn't and the 2008 does. I like the look of the 2008 better. 2 year newer vinyl by itself is worth a grand to me. Lower hours, etc. I'd be snapping up the 2008. With your short tow the single axle trailer will be fine. I tow 35 miles each way every time we go out and then take a 4 hr. each way trip every summer. Go newer.

mnpracing
08-22-2013, 05:41 PM
I think both are overpriced.

IIRC the drivers seats are different, better on the 08.

06 will not have the dripless shaft seal.

kaneboats
08-22-2013, 05:48 PM
The driver's seat is huge. The 2008 has the good one. No idea about the 2006. That would be a bad strike for me. Dripless shaft is nice too.

parrothd
08-22-2013, 06:40 PM
I wouldn't rush anything it's end of season soon, it'll be a buyers market.. There should be more boats that will drive the price down but you may have to travel.. Use claz.org..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Claytorman
08-22-2013, 06:48 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I like all the info about the improvements from 2006 to 2008. If you have more, let me know.

They both have the 325 Assault engine. Were there any significant improvements in the drivetrain over those two years?

patrick232
08-22-2013, 07:41 PM
I believe the drivetrain is the same till they had to add cats.
My cup holders are gray on my 2006 with edged pop up cleats. Our old 07 xlv had ss cup holders and moomba cast into the cleats. They do add little things every year to help drive sales and justify the cost increases. I would say the 08 is priced right the 06 a little high, since they are firm on price. I have 2 dealers that have given me fair trade numbers with a good price on the mondo.

Wax
08-22-2013, 11:39 PM
Pre-warning, I'm long-winded on forums as I'm sure some have noticed.

Go look at both and I'm sure you'll feel it with one of them. Plus once you get the vibe from the owners that may make a big difference too as you'll be able to tell what kind of people they are and how they likely took care of their boat.

Maybe you won't feel it with either though? Who knows, maybe after you go look you'll decide that neither is exactly what you want. With this big of a purchase, hold out and get what you want. I'm so glad that the deal fell through with an 05 LSV I almost bought. Basically the credit union I used wouldn't allow any extras to be added to the value of the boat on NADA (like no check boxes at all, just base price, which is dumb) so I couldn't get financed. It sucked and I was so let down. I absolutely would have that boat right now if it would have came through, and I wouldn't even know what I was missing out on.

Then very shortly after I found the 06 on here that I have now which booked a bit higher, even though I didn't need it with my new credit union since they added extras (I went through a new credit union anyway that I love now and have switched almost everything over to them).

I think those prices are reasonable, but there are deals out there. For reference, I think I got a great deal that may be hard to match, but I paid $28k for mine with 180hrs a few months ago. Mine has perfect pass, bimini top, single axle trailer, G3 ballast (I've upgraded rear bags now), dual batteries. No tower speakers, but it's wired for them. Ryan kept excellent care of it...it is as good as new. I had to drive 5 hours and so did he, we met halfway. I was so in love with it when he pulled up, I almost shat my pants. I was on cloud 9 the whole drive home, and I did that drive from 1am to 6am and literally went straight to the boat launch because I couldn't wait to get it in the water. My point is...it should feel like that and be pretty obvious to you if it's your boat!

moombadaze
08-23-2013, 09:36 AM
08 for most of the reasons allready stated above

hotrod62
08-23-2013, 01:28 PM
I am about to list my 07 LSV for $28. 190hrs. Gravity3, perfect pass, dual battery, stainless rub rail, docking lights. interior leds, pop up cleats 4 amps, sub and custom Bimini.... But needs new trailer as mine is starting to rust. Sorry not trying to hijack or selfless promote

cab13367
08-23-2013, 02:53 PM
Single axle trailer is a deal breaker for me. My previous boat had a single axle and would sometimes sway on the highway. Hated that feeling. Maybe it was just how that rig was set up though. My current boat has a double axle trailer and pulls straight as an arrow all the time.

Wax
08-23-2013, 03:20 PM
I am about to list my 07 LSV for $28. 190hrs. Gravity3, perfect pass, dual battery, stainless rub rail, docking lights. interior leds, pop up cleats 4 amps, sub and custom Bimini.... But needs new trailer as mine is starting to rust. Sorry not trying to hijack or selfless promote

My neighbor has a double axle Supra trailer for sale...

Why would he need a new trailer if it's just rust? Couldn't you just sand and paint it?

kaneboats
08-23-2013, 03:21 PM
LOL! You don't live near salt water do you?

Wax
08-23-2013, 03:37 PM
LOL! You don't live near salt water do you?

Haha no, and I was going to say something like "I probably have no idea what I'm talking about with saltwater though" so I didn't sound as much like an idiot!

Is it really THAT bad that it destroys the trailer? Even if you like re-paint the trailer every year?

We have TERRIBLE salt on the roads here in the winter, and basically every vehicle in Michigan has a rusty frame after a couple years. Luckily, I don't pull my boat in the winter lol!

kaneboats
08-23-2013, 03:42 PM
It gets inside and rusts from the inside out. Here's a look at my original trailer from my Outback. Guy put it in brackish water only a couple of times but then the brake lines rusted through and made a mess.

hotrod62
08-23-2013, 04:13 PM
Mine looked like small rust bubbles until I tapped with a screwdriver and this happened. Check out all the flakes on the ground. I use at a river called Black creek that is very slightly brackish. Why I have always flushed my engine after every use.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8ZGSmOGFtXOblQyLXJnNkkwTHc/edit?usp=sharing

Haha no, and I was going to say something like "I probably have no idea what I'm talking about with saltwater though" so I didn't sound as much like an idiot!

Is it really THAT bad that it destroys the trailer? Even if you like re-paint the trailer every year?

We have TERRIBLE salt on the roads here in the winter, and basically every vehicle in Michigan has a rusty frame after a couple years. Luckily, I don't pull my boat in the winter lol!

kaneboats
08-23-2013, 04:42 PM
Black Creek is where my cousin skis with her MC Stars n Stripes.

Claytorman
08-23-2013, 11:54 PM
Well, I looked at the 2008 this afternoon. The drivetrain and oils looked OK. There was a small amount of oil collected on the intake, most likely a little leaking from the valve cover gasket. The bilge had some oil beneath the oil pan. I ran my hand on the bottom of the oil pan and it had a film of oil. No big drips though. Most likely the oil pan gasket. Tires are original and cracked from the sun, definitely need replacing. Gelcoat was decent shape, definitely needs a polish with a buffer. The front keel around the eye hook was really marred up with black marks from the roller. They either are power loading hard to the stop or maybe winching with the trailer not deep enough. Rest of the outside had minor nicks and marks. Bottom of the boat looked like it hadn't been sprayed or washed off all summer. Vinyl was good, but had some brown tinge around the edges where it had set damp against the sides of the boat. Battery was original, so probably near the end of its life. The plastic shroud around the gauges had a crack around one of the top screws. But, down on the bottom left, the same shroud had a complete split around the switch cluster, that would bug me. Good news is that it actually has Perfect Pass, not the standard Moomba Cruise:). Told me that they had never changed the plugs or the impeller.

Still going to look at the 2006 tomorrow before I make a decision.

Wax
08-24-2013, 12:06 AM
Still going to look at the 2006 tomorrow before I make a decision.

Great idea. Perfect pass on the 08 really actually gives it quite a bump up in my book to be honest.

patrick232
08-24-2013, 06:08 AM
Why would someone selling a boat not have it cleaned and detailed? Mine is dirty right now, pulled of river at 830 last night and thru cover on. Will get cleaned today. I think boats owned by forum members are better maintained and cleaned than others.

parrothd
08-24-2013, 06:51 AM
Not mine, maintained yes, very well, cleaned not so much..it gets used to much... :)

But a seller not taking the time to detail or clean the boat tells a lot of the care of the boat. The owner hasn't done any maintenance, not even changing the impellor. You can use that to reduce the price but it may take a while before they accept that the condition effects the price.

I remember going to look at a master craft, the one pic looked OK but once I got there it was dirty and stained up.. The owner was admit it would get top dollar cuz it was a master craft, he tried selling it all summer on eBay and craigslist without success...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

drb59
08-24-2013, 09:50 AM
This does not sound like the boat for you do not rush as boats will be available in the future

kaneboats
08-24-2013, 11:39 AM
I love buying dirt. If I can save a few thousand and do my own detail that would make me happy. You just have to make sure you get a great price then roll up your sleeves. If you do get that one be sure to change the impeller right away.

Claytorman
08-26-2013, 10:23 AM
Well, the 2006 LSV turned out to be a bust. The gelcoat on this one was better, but still needed a good polish. The interior was fairly run down. Carpet was very dirty and the vinyl had quite a few stains. The Moomba cruise didn't work and one of the tower speakers was dead. When the guy pulled up the boat had ID tags from another state than what was in the pictures that the seller sent to me. I asked him if he had recently moved or something, he said no "the pictures that I sent to you were taken right after I bought the boat 3 years ago and it sill had the first owners ID on there." That is why the boat looked so good in the pictures. That kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

I think that I will keep looking. I expect a 5-7 year old boat to have a scratch, ding, or stain here or there. But, I can't believe how dirty people show a boat that they are trying to sell.

wolfeman131
08-26-2013, 10:41 AM
"the pictures that I sent to you were taken right after I bought the boat 3 years ago and it sill had the first owners ID on there." That is why the boat looked so good in the pictures. That kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

yeah, I think I would've asked the guy for some gas cash and flagged that ad in some manner to warn off other potential buyers.

maxpower220
08-26-2013, 12:59 PM
I sold my 08 earlier this year. Even if I have not cleaned it, you wouldn't have found issues on it that you described. I did have a crack in a air vent inlet (under the windshield). I had the replacement in the glovebox. There are plenty of people who take care of their boat. You'll find something good soon.

Wax
08-26-2013, 03:18 PM
Man, that sucks. At least now maybe you know some more questions to ask people over the phone before you go and see. The right boat will come around. Maybe also broaden your search area. The boat I bought was 10 hours away, and we met halfway. Way worth it. I found it on here of course, but I was also searching Craigslist, Ebay, Boat Trader, etc up to like 500 miles away from me.

patrick232
08-26-2013, 05:20 PM
Well, the 2006 LSV turned out to be a bust. The gelcoat on this one was better, but still needed a good polish. The interior was fairly run down. Carpet was very dirty and the vinyl had quite a few stains. The Moomba cruise didn't work and one of the tower speakers was dead. When the guy pulled up the boat had ID tags from another state than what was in the pictures that the seller sent to me. I asked him if he had recently moved or something, he said no "the pictures that I sent to you were taken right after I bought the boat 3 years ago and it sill had the first owners ID on there." That is why the boat looked so good in the pictures. That kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

I think that I will keep looking. I expect a 5-7 year old boat to have a scratch, ding, or stain here or there. But, I can't believe how dirty people show a boat that they are trying to sell.

We leave for Norris Lake Friday and will be there all weekend. If you want to ride and drive mine come on over with the wife and kids.

I can send updated pictures of her down to the little tear in the vinyl that I have already made the appointment to get repaired this fall.