PDA

View Full Version : Prop Strike - WARNING: Graphic Pics

cab13367
08-21-2013, 08:15 PM
We were at Lake Shasta this weekend (Friday through Tuesday) and were heading back to the boat ramp Monday night around 7:30 pm at 25 mph after a great three days on the water. We were in a channel about a half mile from the boat launch, we had passed through this same channel several times over the weekend with no issues and had seen several other boats pass through as well but probably because the water level drops daily, we hit something this time through, probably a rock ledge. After the prop strike, I could not go more than 5 mph without experiencing severe vibration so we limped along at 5 mph the remaining half mile or so back to the launch. Glad we were not further away when it happened. Below are pics of the damage. I'm told the gelcoat damage was cause by the prop - we hit so hard that it pushed the prop up into the gelcoat and took a chunk out of it.

Took the boat to Active Watersports in Oregon City, OR yesterday when we got back into town and today, I get the estimate. Let's just say it's a lot more than I expected. In addition to the obvious damage to the prop and gelcoat, the prop shaft and prop shaft strut are apparently bent. Fortunately, there was no damage to the tracking fins or the rudder.

This is my first prop strike so I have been fortunate all these years so I guess my luck finally ran out.

I’m working with my insurance company now to get the estimate approved. Will keep everyone posted.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/4612FCFD-8348-451C-A396-0FF89E47AEA4-1264-0000023CEDEF7A19_zpsf3217d3d.jpg
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/04CFA261-3511-4EB0-9E5C-757C49716EAF-1264-0000023CF74B3C71_zpsed13c7a7.jpg
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/329DA67C-A8CF-42E0-9789-492C6A089506-1264-0000023D1652E5BE_zps51332e2c.jpg

Woody929
08-21-2013, 08:26 PM
Was the shaft so bent that it could reach the gel? Seems more likely to me that it picked up a bit of whatever you struck and slammed it into the hull.

cab13367
08-21-2013, 08:31 PM
Was the shaft so bent that it could reach the gel? Seems more likely to me that it picked up a bit of whatever you struck and slammed it into the hull.

That is what I think too but the shop seems to think the prop hit it. To the naked eye, the shaft does not even look bent.

rsinger
08-21-2013, 08:37 PM

I'm no expert, but I would tend to agree with Woody. That looks like 4 inches or more from the prop to the hull. I'd expect to see the strut completely broken off, or pushed through the hull, for the prop to travel that far, and the shaft to have a very obvious bend in it.

There are enough people on the board with personal experience (unfortunately) on this stuff. I think Woody's opinion will be verified.

I'm scared to put my boat in the water now. Holy S**t.

Woody929
08-21-2013, 08:45 PM
On the bright side, it could look like this one sitting at a local shop
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/22/u8azu5e9.jpg

Boonejeepin
08-21-2013, 08:54 PM
So sorry Al!

I would bet that Independent Marine Propeller
In Portland may be able to repair the shaft and strut. Not sure about the prop but that shop has worked wonders in the past.

Although, if you are filing an insurance claim I would let the insurance company work on the part replacement details.

Looks to be about 6 - 8 hrs of glass and gel work, 4-5 hrs of driveline labor including realignment, + materials and parts (about $1300).

I would bet that the AWS quote is in the $5000+ range.

DOCDRS
08-21-2013, 09:29 PM
I agree with Woody......also looks like it shadowed hit to the left of the major damage in the pic. For the prop to hit up there you would need deformation of the strut and it would not go back close to its original position. I'd check the alignment yourself to determine if the shaft is in fact bent. that prop is definitely going to give you bad vibes. sorry about your luck....

rdlangston13
08-21-2013, 09:51 PM

That picture just made my stomach turn over

Sent from my iPhone

Worlds22SSV
08-21-2013, 09:52 PM
well join the club several of us with this issue this weekend. I do not think the prop caused the damage, i to believe it spun something up and hit it. there would be some serious damage for the prop to hit that which it doesnt look like you have. Are they just guessing the shaft is bent? not sure if they would have the equipment to tell unless they already removed it.

Woody929
08-21-2013, 09:53 PM
That's what I have to watch out for every weekend now that we play in shallow puddles

cab13367
08-21-2013, 10:06 PM
This seems to be a common occurrence this time of year as the lakes are getting low everywhere. Regarding the prop hitting the gelcoat, I agree with everyone that it seems very unlikely/impossible that this occured given that the shaft strut is not broken. I should clarify that this comment was made by the shop when I called them and described the damage over the phone, before they got a chance to see it in person.

uniwarking
08-21-2013, 10:29 PM

Wow... I certainly hope something this bad never happens to me or anyone else for that matter... makes me sick...

jester
08-21-2013, 10:37 PM
Dang Al that sucks. You did not have a good start or end to this trip. Hope everything in between was a blast.

Woody929
08-21-2013, 10:44 PM
Wow... I certainly hope something this bad never happens to me or anyone else for that matter... makes me sick...

Yup, check out Dallas Ski Boats on Facebook. There are more pictures like this. When I saw them last week, it made me very nervous going out. And what happened to us on Saturday? Bent prop. Not near this bad, but bad enough. New one gets here Friday.

I'll be visiting them in the in the off season to fix this:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/22/hu3e3ese.jpg

At some point we hit a stump (unrelated to the prop)

We need rain

motosno963
08-22-2013, 01:19 AM
i cant even imagine what that mastercraft hit haha let alone how they will fix that hole..i hit a nice size long with mine, shaft, strut, and prop had to be replaced..damn trees haha

Wax
08-22-2013, 02:35 AM
I hit something with the supra in the water a few years back, either a big log floating under the surface or a stump (in a river at the time). Mine was a harder hit to the rudder though than the prop, although the prop took a hit too. The shaft didn't look bent, but it was. The rudder actually jammed back and hit the hull, causing cracks. The total job was $4300 if I rememer right, which was fiberglass repair, new prop (reconditioned), shaft, etc. My insurance did cover it minus my $500 deductable.

mmandley
08-22-2013, 09:12 AM
So sorry Al!

I would bet that Independent Marine Propeller
In Portland may be able to repair the shaft and strut. Not sure about the prop but that shop has worked wonders in the past.

Although, if you are filing an insurance claim I would let the insurance company work on the part replacement details.

Looks to be about 6 - 8 hrs of glass and gel work, 4-5 hrs of driveline labor including realignment, + materials and parts (about $1300).

I would bet that the AWS quote is in the $5000+ range.

Keep the bent prop Al, have insurance buy a new one but keep your old one, take to the guys above, they have fixed a lot worse. I have used them 2x this year for the same prop and they fixed it right up.

First time was all 4 blades bent pretty bad. 2nd was a missing chunk out of a blade.

Sorry to hear about this.

cab13367
08-22-2013, 10:29 AM
Thanks Mike. How much did they charge you? I sent the pics to Acme and they said it was borderline repairable. They suggested sending it in and they would let me know once they had it in their hands. I may go up to Portland propeller and see what they think.

Has anyone ever replaced the prop shaft and strut themselves? How hard a job was it and did you need any special tools?

kaneboats
08-22-2013, 10:46 AM
Go with the claim this time because you need gel coat repair, etc. Get them to replace everything. Take all the old parts to the guys mentioned above. If they can straighten the shaft and strut you will have a backup to keep on the shelf in the garage in case it ever happens again.

Yes, I have replaced the shaft, etc. myself. You remove the coupler bolts then the coupler. (I think I had to order a tool for the coupler nut, a special socket or something. You can check with Elberts.) The hardest part was sliding the shaft out past the rudder. May have to loosen the strut to do this but yours will be off anyway. It is not a super hard job but it is hard to reach the coupler bots, etc. and kind of uncomfortable.

newty
08-22-2013, 11:30 AM
Al, sorry to hear that happened. Makes me sick looking at it.
Two things... take the prop to Sheffield off of Vancouver next to Jubitz truck stop. Talk to Jeff, he's the best prop guy in town, best prices, and will usually do it for cash. For gel and strut work go see Gary Cook at West One Marine. Again excellent work half the cost of the local dealers and will have back to you in a hurry. At least call and talk to him. He's a great guy. Hope you get this all sorted out so you can enjoy the summer.

mmandley
08-22-2013, 11:52 AM
Thanks Mike. How much did they charge you? I sent the pics to Acme and they said it was borderline repairable. They suggested sending it in and they would let me know once they had it in their hands. I may go up to Portland propeller and see what they think.

Has anyone ever replaced the prop shaft and strut themselves? How hard a job was it and did you need any special tools?

The charged me 145 the first time, and 112 the second. First time was much worse, second they felt bad because my name was still on the blade from the last time they fixed it. Both times i was doing charty work with the boat basically.

newty
08-22-2013, 12:30 PM
Both times i was doing charty work with the boat basically.

You did what in your boat?:eek::what::confused:

chawk610
08-22-2013, 12:47 PM
Charty...or sharty??? :)

patrick232
08-22-2013, 04:45 PM
You did what in your boat?:eek::what::confused:

I think charty work is short for charity work, like Wake the World. If you have not done charity work with your boat your missing out on something very rewarding.

newty
08-22-2013, 04:47 PM
I think charty work is short for charity work, like Wake the World. If you have not done charity work with your boat your missing out on something very rewarding.

I was poking fun at his spelling.

cab13367
08-22-2013, 07:13 PM
Besides skidim, where else is a good place to shop for a propeller shaft and shaft strut? Thanks.

Boonejeepin
08-22-2013, 08:22 PM
Besides skidim, where else is a good place to shop for a propeller shaft and shaft strut? Thanks.

Elbert's in Dayton, OR
tel:503-864-2448

I bought a strut from him and he straightened my prop shaft.

cab13367
08-22-2013, 09:31 PM
Thanks Russ.

Boonejeepin
08-22-2013, 10:06 PM
Thanks Russ.

I hope you are back on the water SOON!!!

rsinger
08-22-2013, 10:25 PM
I'm scared to put my boat in the water now. Holy S**t.

Famous last words. Looks like I'm a victim too. This happened idling to the trailer. The boat wasn't even a third of a way up the trailer, and hadn't touched it yet.

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb397/rsingerwpg/Platform%20Repair/broke_prop_zpsdef3f8cd.jpg (http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/rsingerwpg/media/Platform%20Repair/broke_prop_zpsdef3f8cd.jpg.html)

Off to the classified section to see if someone's selling something that'll fit my boat.

EricU
08-22-2013, 11:14 PM
Seeing all the bent props from this last weekend - including my first EVER! (I'm not bitter...) and how low Oroville was last weekend, I don't know if I will be able to go out again this year:-x. I wont have time this weekend (car show) and the boat ramp was almost toast last weekend.

Last year we were boarding into October.

Pray for west coast rain this winter!!!!

beat taco
08-22-2013, 11:27 PM
Yup, late to the party but Elbert fixed me up over the years as I located the rocks on the upper willamette.

I too hit my prop at Shasta coming out of Antlers a month ago. Got lucky but might get the prop checked out in the off season.

Here's a comparison from the last week in July 2012 vs 2013!
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/23/evaqunug.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/23/uhunyza2.jpg

I was looking at 50' of a rocky hill behind me in the second pic that the houseboat was anchored on in the first pic.

BTW I am going to Oroville next year, I met this guy at Lake Billy Chinook this year and got an invite on his houseboat.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/23/4ege9yge.jpg

yearround
08-23-2013, 02:00 AM
oh, all these prop problems, i've had mine too. fortunately nothing as bad as these pics here.

i should go to the classifieds and post a prop for sale. i have an extra OJ prop, the 4 blade wakeboard upgrade for 08, i don't know what else it is from memory, but willing to sell.

EricU
08-23-2013, 03:05 PM
...I too hit my prop at Shasta coming out of Antlers a month ago. Got lucky but might get the prop checked out in the off season...

I was looking at 50' of a rocky hill behind me in the second pic that the houseboat was anchored on in the first pic.

BTW I am going to Oroville next year, I met this guy at Lake Billy Chinook this year and got an invite on his houseboat.

I sure hope we get a good dose of rain here in the West this season. Lake Oroville still has a lot of good running areas, it's just the boat ramps are closing left and right. I don't know if we will be on it again this season.

Oroville is now my local favorite even though it is about a 2 1/2 hour drive (or 4 in traffic!) and I am 20 minutes from Berryessa.

Over at Bidwell Marina, you can rent a covered slip for a little over $100/week.

As long as we get some rain, we will have our 28' pontoon boat (poor man's houseboat?) along with our boat at Oroville a lot next season, along with a new prop and a rebuilt spare prop!!

cab13367
08-23-2013, 03:20 PM
Yup, late to the party but Elbert fixed me up over the years as I located the rocks on the upper willamette.

I too hit my prop at Shasta coming out of Antlers a month ago. Got lucky but might get the prop checked out in the off season.

Jake,

When we were there last weekend, Antlers had floated their docks down to Sugarloaf. The water in front of Antlers was little more than a river at that point. It worked out fine though - we just trailered our boat the 10-15 minutes to Sugarloaf every day and brought it back next to our cabin each night instead of leaving it at the boat moorage at Sugarloaf. Since we never went more than 30 mph, we left all the boards on the racks and the bimini up so it was not a big deal. More peace of mind that way and I could gas it up at the gas station for $1.50/gal less than what they wanted at the marina :)

Al

REDFIVE48
08-26-2013, 01:44 PM
I did a prop change this weekend also, but luckily it was because I hadn't put my better prop on from the last time it was damaged.

Ron (rsinger) - how did you do that much damage to your prop idling onto your trailer? Did you hit the concrete from the ramp? Ouch, bet you felt sick when you heard the sound of that strike.

EricU
08-26-2013, 03:53 PM
Just made two phone calls, the first to Acme and I will be sending them my 1617 for repair, the second to WM and I got a 1235 being sent down, it will be here Wednesday.

Now I just need to find out if Oroville is accessible, two weeks ago when we were there it seemed like we were at the end of the ramp.

rsinger
08-27-2013, 12:04 PM
Ron (rsinger) - how did you do that much damage to your prop idling onto your trailer? Did you hit the concrete from the ramp? Ouch, bet you felt sick when you heard the sound of that strike.

X marks the spot. It should have never happened. This is a city launch. I called them the next day to shut it down until they find out whats out there. The side of the prop must have just glanced of whatever was down there. The rudder never touched anything, and it's lower than the prop.

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb397/rsingerwpg/prop_damage_zps54af65e6.jpg (http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/rsingerwpg/media/prop_damage_zps54af65e6.jpg.html)

bergermaister
08-28-2013, 01:02 PM
Al, sad to see that. Glad you all are ok.

If you don't mind, shoot me over the details (PM or email) from the AWS repair quote and I can compare notes with you from when I went through this exact same thing a while back. They provided a spreadsheet with line items.

After my previous dealings with them I'd seriously consider letting your insurance know the numbers and then look into the shops Newty and others recommended for the actual work...

(when I first saw this - I was thinking it was going to be some gory shots of a leg half cut off. glad that it wasn't!)

Clamcakes
08-28-2013, 02:48 PM
Lake Ouachita last year, what little gelcoat damage you see is quite expensive to fix. My total bill came to 7K

Clamcakes
08-28-2013, 02:49 PM
That 7K was gelcoat, new 1847 prop (one that was damaged was only month old), strut and rudder

cab13367
09-03-2013, 12:02 PM
Update: The extend of the damage is:
Bent up prop
Bent prop shaft
Bent prop shaft strut
Gouge in gelcoat
Stress cracks in gelcoat at the strut mounting bolts.

The gelcoat damage is all cosmetic – no structural damage. The repair estimate was just north of $5,000. I heard back from my insurance company today – they mailed me a check for the full amount less my $80 deductible last Friday. They took 10 days to turn it around but I am very relieved that they are going to pay for all of the damage. I will probably replace all the underwater gear myself then pay someone to do the gelcoat repair. I will also be adding a dripless shaft seal while I am at it (since mine has the packing rope seal).

FYI, I have the “Yacht” policy with BoatUS for which I pay $270/year and had a $320 deductible to start. Every year that I don’t file a claim, they refund 10% of the premium and reduce the deductible by 25% (until it goes down to $80, then it goes no lower). So since I have been with them for a few years and this is my first claim, my deductible was only $80. So glad I insured with them!

I have been paying insurance on this boat and my previous boat for 22 years combined and this is the first time I have ever filed a claim so I guess I’m glad I a getting something out of all those years of paying insurance :).

kaneboats
09-03-2013, 12:19 PM
Glad to hear you are going to be well taken care of. I need to shop my policy this winter. Paying too much.

moombadaze
09-03-2013, 03:27 PM
Glad to hear you are going to be well taken care of. I need to shop my policy this winter. Paying too much.

let me know what you go with

jester
09-03-2013, 10:54 PM
Al,

Good to hear it is getting taken care of. Also I might need to shop around for new insurance.

rdlangston13
09-03-2013, 11:46 PM
Update: The extend of the damage is:
Bent up prop
Bent prop shaft
Bent prop shaft strut
Gouge in gelcoat
Stress cracks in gelcoat at the strut mounting bolts.

The gelcoat damage is all cosmetic – no structural damage. The repair estimate was just north of $5,000. I heard back from my insurance company today – they mailed me a check for the full amount less my $80 deductible last Friday. They took 10 days to turn it around but I am very relieved that they are going to pay for all of the damage. I will probably replace all the underwater gear myself then pay someone to do the gelcoat repair. I will also be adding a dripless shaft seal while I am at it (since mine has the packing rope seal).

FYI, I have the “Yacht” policy with BoatUS for which I pay $270/year and had a $320 deductible to start. Every year that I don’t file a claim, they refund 10% of the premium and reduce the deductible by 25% (until it goes down to $80, then it goes no lower). So since I have been with them for a few years and this is my first claim, my deductible was only $80. So glad I insured with them!

I have been paying insurance on this boat and my previous boat for 22 years combined and this is the first time I have ever filed a claim so I guess I’m glad I a getting something out of all those years of paying insurance :).

I have the boat US yacht policy too and my deductible is like a grand and I pay like 500 a year! They raised my premium on me this year and when I called and asked why they "everyone's premium is going up due to unusual weather events"

I need your agent, I'm getting screwed!

Sent from my iPhone

cab13367
09-04-2013, 12:37 AM
I have the boat US yacht policy too and my deductible is like a grand and I pay like 500 a year! They raised my premium on me this year and when I called and asked why they "everyone's premium is going up due to unusual weather events"

I need your agent, I'm getting screwed!

Sent from my iPhone

That is nuts! But as we all know, there are many factors that go into determining one's insurance premium (age, driving record, part of the country, storage location, age/value of boat, etc.) so it's hard to compare apples to apples.

zabooda
09-04-2013, 12:44 AM
I pay $217 a year with a $500 deductible with American Family Insurance. About three years ago I went with them when they were $900 a year cheaper on my policies. I've had home, boat trailer and car claims done fast and no increase in premiums.

cab13367
09-17-2013, 01:01 AM
So I finally got started on this. I removed the prop, propeller shaft, and strut this weekend and then dropped the boat off tonight at West One Marine in Lake Oswego so Gary can do the gelcoat work. In trying to remove the shaft coupler, I discovered that there was not enough room between the couplers to get a socket in there to remove the nut. Also, I plan to install a PSS dripless shaft seal so I decided to remove the v-drive to give myself plenty of room to work. Pulling the v-drive was a piece of cake - I had it out in about 15 minutes.
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/3E6BA919-3E8A-4241-AE82-375E68AED799-2534-0000030FAC993D0D_zps9231a8ec.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/cab13367/media/3E6BA919-3E8A-4241-AE82-375E68AED799-2534-0000030FAC993D0D_zps9231a8ec.jpg.html)
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/A0668A2A-F117-4432-A821-4C36703A1B48-2534-0000030ED7A0DCD1_zps13e66fb4.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/cab13367/media/A0668A2A-F117-4432-A821-4C36703A1B48-2534-0000030ED7A0DCD1_zps13e66fb4.jpg.html)

Next, it's time to remove the coupler nut. First, remove the set screw with an allen wrench. Then get a 27mm socket for the nut. The nut is not very deep/thick so it's easy for the socket to slip off and possibly strip the nut. After briefly trying to muscle it off with a socket wrench, I decided to get my impact wrench out as I did not want to risk rounding off the nut. The impact wrench spun the nut right off.
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/9F83C2C7-D9DD-44D4-B1FB-2A3F02FB44A4-2534-0000030FDD26D38F_zps2d478ba3.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/cab13367/media/9F83C2C7-D9DD-44D4-B1FB-2A3F02FB44A4-2534-0000030FDD26D38F_zps2d478ba3.jpg.html)

Here you can see how thin the nut is.
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/9CF8F207-7E0E-450F-93F0-F5394DF6E581-2534-00000310749FEC31_zps27b202de.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/cab13367/media/9CF8F207-7E0E-450F-93F0-F5394DF6E581-2534-00000310749FEC31_zps27b202de.jpg.html)

cab13367
09-17-2013, 01:09 AM
Now it's time to remove the coupler. I went to Autozone and borrowed a 5 ton pulley puller. Here it is in place. Put the nut back on a few turns so that the puller all thread does not slip off the prop shaft and so it catches the coupler when it pops off.
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/2B80405E-4864-4ACC-81DB-6BED61CC180C-2534-0000031097798ECE_zps43665e2c.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/cab13367/media/2B80405E-4864-4ACC-81DB-6BED61CC180C-2534-0000031097798ECE_zps43665e2c.jpg.html)

Success! Even though I knew it was going to pop off, it still scared the crap out of me when it did. I actually thought the puller broke.
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/3DA5D62E-4369-4CC3-B2B7-CD0B1C7597AC-2534-00000310A8D8F0F8_zpsc658c911.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/cab13367/media/3DA5D62E-4369-4CC3-B2B7-CD0B1C7597AC-2534-00000310A8D8F0F8_zpsc658c911.jpg.html)
Next, it was time to remove the strut. This was not too bad except that two of the nuts are under the oil pan and it took me a little while to find them. Once I did, it was not too bad getting the six allen bolts and nuts off that hold the strut in place. Here is the strut. Uh, yeah, it's a little bent :)
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/D99EF31E-A1F3-4150-95ED-098E30AAE5FB-2534-00000310F24DE0CA_zps8747aa62.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/cab13367/media/D99EF31E-A1F3-4150-95ED-098E30AAE5FB-2534-00000310F24DE0CA_zps8747aa62.jpg.html)

cab13367
09-17-2013, 01:13 AM
I dropped the strut and the prop off at Sheffield Propellers in Portland. They will straighten the strut and install a new bushing as the old bushing is cracked. And they will repair the prop. The prop shaft is bent pretty bad and Cecil at Elberts is going to try and straighten it for me at not charge.

I would like to thank boonejeepin (Russ) for answering all my questions. He has been through this before and was a huge help. It was great to be able to call him whenever I got stuck or needed advice.

I should have the boat back in a week and the strut and prop by Friday. Stay tuned.

Boonejeepin
09-17-2013, 05:45 AM
Can't wait to see it all going back together. You'll be back on the water in no time.

kaneboats
09-17-2013, 09:57 AM
If I know Al I feel a new "How To" with lots of photos coming on.

bergermaister
09-17-2013, 11:55 AM
Nice work Al! Now I know who I'm going to if I ever get into a sticky DIY situation again!

cab13367
09-24-2013, 12:43 AM
Update: Got the boat back today. Gary over at West One Marine in Lake Oswego did a great job. Gelcoat matches perfectly and it looks like new. Before and after pics below.

The prop and strut should be done by now and I will be picking them up at the end of the week. They are being repaired at Sheffield Marine in Portland.

The shaft is too bent to repair - see video below - so I bought a new one from Elberts. It is an ARE shaft and has an innovative coupler design that should make removing it from the shaft snap.

I should be able to install the underwater parts this weekend.

Before:
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/79B780AD-1AB2-4B60-A437-8893476E45F2-1601-000003328D631D6B_zps3a0f7f45.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/cab13367/media/79B780AD-1AB2-4B60-A437-8893476E45F2-1601-000003328D631D6B_zps3a0f7f45.jpg.html)
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/7EBCEB7E-D921-4ACA-82B3-D2B23417FB47-1601-00000332CDE4FAB0_zpse0c23116.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/cab13367/media/7EBCEB7E-D921-4ACA-82B3-D2B23417FB47-1601-00000332CDE4FAB0_zpse0c23116.jpg.html)
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/95186C05-CF87-4078-BA11-18E8D8B78CBD-1601-000003327C1A5560_zps17594ba5.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/cab13367/media/95186C05-CF87-4078-BA11-18E8D8B78CBD-1601-000003327C1A5560_zps17594ba5.jpg.html)

cab13367
09-24-2013, 12:44 AM
After:
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/DFDC8890-53F9-41F1-B236-E32E955C398B-1601-0000032DE07013A5_zpsd8c18413.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/cab13367/media/DFDC8890-53F9-41F1-B236-E32E955C398B-1601-0000032DE07013A5_zpsd8c18413.jpg.html)
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/E0D3E9D4-446D-42DA-A39E-AA21DBABF2ED-1601-0000032DEBAFFAE0_zps67c3d671.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/cab13367/media/E0D3E9D4-446D-42DA-A39E-AA21DBABF2ED-1601-0000032DEBAFFAE0_zps67c3d671.jpg.html)
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/4502F40F-287C-4412-A094-D82FB7145A63-1601-0000032DFFF43160_zps4e28f74a.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/cab13367/media/4502F40F-287C-4412-A094-D82FB7145A63-1601-0000032DFFF43160_zps4e28f74a.jpg.html)

cab13367
09-24-2013, 12:49 AM
Here's a short video showing how bent the shaft is. It was deemed unrepairable.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/th_F0B6A9B7-575A-42E4-9EA2-A8597C2D7AB2-1601-000003303C5EC6DE_zps022ea8f6.jpg (http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/F0B6A9B7-575A-42E4-9EA2-A8597C2D7AB2-1601-000003303C5EC6DE_zps022ea8f6.mp4)

kaneboats
09-24-2013, 10:02 AM
Ouch on the shaft. I have an elberts shaft now too. Was easy to work with.

The gel coat repair guys are simply amazing. Gotta love a true artist.