PDA

View Full Version : Where to install tranducer in Mobius?

rosh
02-08-2006, 09:41 PM
Hi

I bought a deepfinder with a inhull transducer, I wonder if any one has installed one and has any sugestions of the best place to install the transducer, if you have any pictures it will be great. The boat its a 1998 Mobuis.

Thanks

Rosh

qb12
02-09-2006, 10:29 AM
Rosh, I installed one on my outback. If you boat is a direct drive put it right under the transmission housing on the drivers side. You will want to sand the hull just enough then clean the fiberglass. After that use some epoxy and push the puck into the epoxy hard enough to get all air out of the epoxy and it should work fine.

Yellowmobius
02-09-2006, 10:43 AM
I use clear automotive silcone. If you happen to need to move the transducer you can get it out of the silicone, I doubt you can get it out of epoxy once it is down. Same thing applies as far as the air bubbles, can't have any. I put a golf ball size bolb of silicone on the spot and pushed the transducer into the center of the blob.

lowdrag
02-09-2006, 12:49 PM
Same thing here. I used clear silicone and placed it just in front of the motor. Never had any problems with it. Used the same depthfinder and transducer on my last to boats and was very glad I used silicone when it came time to remove it from the first boat. If you pland on making it permanent either should work. But if you use epoxy and have problems and need to move the transducer you'll probably end up pulling some of the material off of the hull when you remove it.

zabooda
02-09-2006, 02:40 PM
My 98 Mobius has the transducer near the steering mechanism. I only use silicone for the reasons listed.

Catdog1
02-09-2006, 11:14 PM
Ours on the 99 outback is located near where the propshaft exits the boat.

Its placed on the one accessible section where the hull becomes single-wall in thickness.

We enlarged the single-wall space slightly with a forstner bit in an electric drill, removing about 1 square inch or so of the inner hull.

We set the sensor in epoxy, with no air bubbles, per instructions. We figured we would eventually sell the boat with the sensor and depthfinder.

rosh
02-15-2006, 04:29 PM
Hi

Thanks for the replays I installing it now, the sun has been great this week around here, so Im going to the water on saturday. During the install process I come out with a couple of doubts that maybe you could help me with. How do I do the wiring to the accesory switch?, I dont have the manual so I dont know the position of the negative and positive to conect the deep finder there, also how did you pass your cable from the transducer to the pasenger side im installing it there because I cant find a good place to locate it on the dash is to big (hummingbird 100SX)

Thanks
Rosh

Catdog1
02-18-2006, 05:00 PM
You can pull up floorboards and route the cable along the path of the battery cables to get into the section behind the observer seat. You might need to use a coathanger and string from to help snake it / pull it through.

Alternately, you can drill some access holes in nearby locations and route it similarly to avoid the electrical interference. It isn't an issue with ours.

We mounted ours on the horizontal surface on the passenger side, next to the cupholder. We used a piece of 1/4 inch neoprene as a vibration reducer. Works great.

If you lie on your back and shine a light on the circuit board, you will see some terminals that you can use. Crimp some appropriate terminal ends to the Humminbird wires to hook-up. I think they are marked + / -, but if not, its easy enough to figure out. Mine is wired hot all the time, not through a switch. If you need me to research it further and post a pic or something let me know.