PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning and Waxing

mgswake
08-20-2013, 05:37 PM
I have two questions.

1. I left my boat in the water for a week and there is a water line on it. I scrubbed for awhile with boat soap and a sponge, but it only lightened the line. It did not completely take it away. What kind of soap or product do you guys use to really clean up your boat well?

2. What type of wax do you use on your boat? Is it ok to use an electric waxer or do you wax by hand?

Thanks everyone in advance for the help.

brain_rinse
08-20-2013, 07:04 PM
Try a vinegar/water mix for the water line. Meguiars marine wax works well. A buffer is great just make sure you know what you are doing if it's a rotary.

parrothd
08-20-2013, 07:13 PM
Acid wash and then rewax.. :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

rca
08-20-2013, 08:11 PM
I use a product called Slimey Grimey to get the nasty yellow water stains off of mine. Works great.

Boonejeepin
08-20-2013, 08:28 PM
Boat bling hot sauce works wonders for me.

drewdwn
08-21-2013, 09:11 AM
If my boat gets that bad I will use 3M rubbing compound followed by 3M ultra performance wax. It takes a few hours but it looks like shiny wet glass!

Wax
08-21-2013, 09:48 AM
Star brite hull cleaner works well I've found this year, a small bottle is like $11 and I didn't even use half of it the first time I did my boat this year. I used a sponge to apply, let sit for a couple minutes, spray off. Mid season quick waxes I use turtle wax carnuba cleaning wax in the squeeze bottle. End of season I use whatever type of boat wax I pick up, apply by hand, buff with orbital buffer.

If you don't want to spend much money on a hull cleaner though, "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner can be found at dollar stores and works fantastic on boat hulls. I used it on my Supra all the time, just haven't used it on my LSV yet. If you do some research, a LOT of boaters use it. It has hydrochloric acid just like the rest of the hull cleaners. I put it in a spray bottle with like 50/50 water and just spray it on the hull, which is what I had heard somebody else say they do with good results.

Lawdog
08-21-2013, 10:14 AM
What is the water/vinegar ratio?

sicktc06
08-21-2013, 10:56 AM
What is the water/vinegar ratio?

Seen people use 20% vinegar, 80% water, even heard of folks doing half and half.
Just remember, it's a wax stripper with no pole!