PDA

View Full Version : Prop help!!

Worlds22SSV
08-19-2013, 12:28 AM
We hit something today and bent the crud out of one of the blades on my prop, i don't have a puller yet so havent removed it but looking behind the prop the key is off allignment is this normal or perhaps it spun when we hit something. If the prop key spun on the shaft what needs to be replaced or what other issues should i look for? Everthing looks OK other than the prop and possibly this key.182331823218234

REDFIVE48
08-19-2013, 08:26 AM
Thats a bummer, never seen a prop key damaged like that with my boat, but have had to pull my prop and get it repaired a couple times, really helps I have a spare from the first time it was damaged. The guys at Nettle Props always do a great job fixing my props, looks like you will probably need a new key also. The prop puller I bought from them comes in handy when trying to remove, just remember to not crank the crap out of the puller to get the prop to release, crank it down a bit and hit the end of the drive shaft with a hammer to get it to release.
Good luck

NateHaskovec
08-19-2013, 09:34 AM
We hit something today and bent the crud out of one of the blades on my prop, i don't have a puller yet so havent removed it but looking behind the prop the key is off allignment is this normal or perhaps it spun when we hit something. If the prop key spun on the shaft what needs to be replaced or what other issues should i look for? Everthing looks OK other than the prop and possibly this key.182331823218234

You are ok. The brass key is much softer than the stainless shaft.

Getting it off is going to suck however. A puller will probably not get it off. You can try heating it. Use a torch and heat the straight shot between the blades from front to back. Pay attention to the cutlass bearing and be careful not to get it too hot. Once you get it to about 600F, beat the backside (on the meaty part of the blades) with a rubber mallet.

If this doesn't work (and it may not) I would cut off the blade nearest the keyway. Then cut the prop like this guy did in this picture.

Instead of cutting all of the way to the shaft cut into the keyway so you don't damage the shaft.

It sucks, but it's not as hard as it looks.

kaneboats
08-19-2013, 10:01 AM
Wow! That had to be quite a strike to do that to the key. I haven't seen that one either but I doubt a puller is going to get it off now.

Worlds22SSV
08-19-2013, 10:22 AM
This is what happens when you begin to get comfortable with the wife driving the boat as i wakeboard.

How do i replace the key? how is it attached to the shaft? Let's say i can get it off without cutting the prop is the blade repairable? if i am able to hold the shaft in place can i somewhat knock the prop back in allign with the key?

NateHaskovec
08-19-2013, 10:36 AM
This is what happens when you begin to get comfortable with the wife driving the boat as i wakeboard.

How do i replace the key? how is it attached to the shaft? Let's say i can get it off without cutting the prop is the blade repairable? if i am able to hold the shaft in place can i somewhat knock the prop back in allign with the key?

The key is not attached at all. It just rides in the keyway and is held in place by a tight fit since the prop bore is tapered, and the keyway in the shaft has a grade on the forward end.

You will not get the prop off with a puller. Once you spin a key, the prop is now on the shaft with an exponentially higher amount of friction holding it on. The key sandwhiches itself between the prop and shaft making the fit so tight that you will bend or break a puller way before the prop thinks about coming off.

You will never be able to prevent the shaft from spinning in order to try to reverse the rotation, and even if you could, you would mangle the prop and possibly bend the shaft if you try to spin it back.

Heat the $h!# out of it, and try it, but be prepared to cut it or have someone else cut it.

The prop is a loss.

P.S. Do not get nimbral shavings in your eyes.

EDIT: The more I look at it, the more I would go straight to cutting.

kaneboats
08-19-2013, 12:52 PM
You might be able to save the prop (assuming they can repair the keyway-- don't know about this but a call to Nettles would certainly answer it). You will have to unbolt the shaft coupling and remove it and then slide the shaft out. Take it to a machine shop with the prop on where they can heat it and remove it.

rdlangston13
08-19-2013, 01:36 PM
Have to take the rudder off to get that shaft out with the prop attached. Where did this happen at? We saw a boat in the LSJ yesterday that looked just like yours but when we got closer we saw it was someone else

Sent from my iPhone

Worlds22SSV
08-19-2013, 01:41 PM
Have to take the rudder off to get that shaft out with the prop attached. Where did this happen at? We saw a boat in the LSJ yesterday that looked just like yours but when we got closer we saw it was someone else

Sent from my iPhone

Lake Somerville, it is now 8' low we were out there 3 weeks ago and it was 5' low couldnt believe how much it has dropped in such a short time. Stay away this is fair warning! it is bad all over the lake.

Rinker's took a trade of a boat just like mine about 2 weeks ago the only one that i have seen in our area the difference between them is mine has the black tower the other is polished. it was only listed at Rinker for couple of days before it sold.

rdlangston13
08-19-2013, 01:43 PM
That must have been it. You live in Spring right? It's probably the same distance to the T as it is to Somerville or not much further I would think. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone

Worlds22SSV
08-19-2013, 01:51 PM
That must have been it. You live in Spring right? It's probably the same distance to the T as it is to Somerville or not much further I would think. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone

Yes Spring, It is about 10 miles further to go to somerville. We will go there when we have a big group, there is a great spot where folks can drive cars right to the beach, but it's too dangerous now.

rdlangston13
08-19-2013, 02:21 PM
Yes Spring, It is about 10 miles further to go to somerville. We will go there when we have a big group, there is a great spot where folks can drive cars right to the beach, but it's too dangerous now.

Yeah we can't even use our boat house on Livingston now. Looks like its hwy 19 the rest of the year until we get some rain!

Sent from my iPhone

Woody929
08-19-2013, 05:09 PM
Yeah we can't even use our boat house on Livingston now. Looks like its hwy 19 the rest of the year until we get some rain!

Sent from my iPhone

That sucks. You mean you are now forced to go play in perfect water?

I ordered my new prop today. Our first trip out since the T and we bent it up pretty good. Not near as bad as Layth here, but our water is loowww here too

rdlangston13
08-20-2013, 11:39 AM
Pray for some rain. This is what sucks about the end of the summer here in Texas...we start running out of water!

Sent from my iPhone

sicktc06
08-20-2013, 11:55 AM
I'll start shipping barrels!!! Take our rain! PLEASE!!!!!
It's rained every day just about for a solid 2 weeks. Maybe one day here or there with a very prolonged period of no rain, but that doesn't last that long. Boating season has been chopped in half due to all the rain for us. No point in going out and getting my boat wet! :P

kaneboats
08-20-2013, 03:15 PM
Yea, you can have ours too. It's been ridiculous. Raining again now.

Worlds22SSV
08-20-2013, 07:01 PM
It's OFF!!! with no obvious damage. After yesterday wasn't sure it was going to happen when the puller cut 2 bolts in half, so got some grade 8 bolts today and was only putting moderate pressure on the puller about ready to apply the torch and boom shoots off. The key was sheared in half, one half in the prop and the other half in the shaft.

maxpower220
08-20-2013, 07:28 PM
Over on CorrectCraft fan. com, there is a very good write up on proper propeller installation. Installed correctly, a prop shouldn't need the key. It is there as a back up. Anyway, do a search and it may give you a good idea on how to install the new prop correctly.

EricU
08-20-2013, 07:31 PM
This is what happens when you begin to get comfortable with the wife driving the boat as i wakeboard...

I am old, real old and have NEVER hit a prop on anything...until last weekend at Lake Oroville, where the water is wayyyyyy down due to our lack of rain this season. Saturday morning the launch ramp was real crowded with a couple of people that didn't seem to see the line at the ramp and just left their boats tied up blocking the narrow channel at the ramp. We load our boat and as we are another D!*$ Wad pulls in and dumps their boat in before we can get out of there. I should have just waited (20/20 hindsight!) but I tried to maneuver out of the way and below is the result of my ACME 1617.

I was surprised how bad it looked as we just kept going and spent the day boarding, and didn't come in until dark. Didn't really get a good look at it until I got home.

My key is in NO way close to the damage of World's damage, but still upsets me as this was the second outing with this prop.

Is this prop fixable?
Who do I contact to fix it?
Do you guys carry a second prop (and puller) on trips to the lake?

Worlds22SSV
08-20-2013, 07:38 PM
I still claim i have never bent a prop and been driving a boat for 20+years since my wife bent this one!! she doesnt like me very much right now. It is absolutely able to be fixed, mine is being repaired and will have it back this weekend. You can probably find someone local but check up and make sure they are reputable. If not send it to Nettles in Austin, TX.

EricU
08-20-2013, 08:13 PM
I still claim i have never bent a prop and been driving a boat for 20+years since my wife bent this one!! she doesnt like me very much right now. It is absolutely able to be fixed, mine is being repaired and will have it back this weekend. You can probably find someone local but check up and make sure they are reputable. If not send it to Nettles in Austin, TX.

Anyone know what a prop repair would cost? Of course I realize that it depends on how bad it is, but as a general idea???

Worlds22SSV
08-20-2013, 08:51 PM
Should be about $100-$250 probably depending how much work they have at the time

REDFIVE48
08-20-2013, 10:10 PM
Is this prop fixable?
Who do I contact to fix it?
Do you guys carry a second prop (and puller) on trips to the lake?

My first prop in need of repair looked like that, easily fixed. My second prop looked way worse and still really fixed. Used Nettle props both times, probably about 150-200 with shipping factored in.

I do carry a prop and puller if not at my normal lake, if at my home lake I don't because it's faster to go home and have my full set of tools. Of course I only carry a spare because I have one, glad you were able to get it off.

Sent from my Slider SL101 using Tapatalk HD

EricU
08-20-2013, 10:37 PM
...Used Nettle props both times, probably about 150-200 with shipping factored in.

That's good to hear, wasn't too excited about dropping another $500+ for a new one!

...glad you were able to get it off.

Not yet, I think I gave my prop puller away when I sold my old Schiada, a few boats back. I may need to invest in one, but they couldn't have gone up that much. (famous last words, here goes the zipper! I can tell)

REDFIVE48
08-20-2013, 10:38 PM
That's good to hear, wasn't too excited about dropping another $500+ for a new one!

Not yet, I think I gave my prop puller away when I sold my old Schiada, a few boats back. I may need to invest in one, but they couldn't have gone up that much. (famous last words, here goes the zipper! I can tell)

Sorry, the get the prop off comment was for World's

Sent from my Slider SL101 using Tapatalk HD

EricU
08-20-2013, 10:45 PM
Sorry, the get the prop off comment was for World's

Now I am going to look real dumb if I cant find my puller...I better put the beer down... oh look! an ice chest with left overs from the weekend!!!

Worlds22SSV
08-20-2013, 10:57 PM
I got the basic 2 arm puller from harbor freight for $20, it comes in a 3 pack you will use the 6" one. I replaced the bolts with grade 8 as the bolts broke but my prop was jammed because of the key.

EricU
08-20-2013, 11:21 PM
[QUOTE=Worlds22SSV;226419]I got the basic 2 arm puller from harbor freight for $20, ...[quote]

Thanks for the tip, that will probably be the cheapest thing I have bought for my boat yet!

We don't have too many weekends left as the lakes seem to keep dropping around here. If I'm not getting any noticeable vibration from the prop, is it alright to keep using it until the season ends? Otherwise I would need to buy another one now.

NateHaskovec
08-21-2013, 09:26 PM
It's OFF!!! with no obvious damage. After yesterday wasn't sure it was going to happen when the puller cut 2 bolts in half, so got some grade 8 bolts today and was only putting moderate pressure on the puller about ready to apply the torch and boom shoots off. The key was sheared in half, one half in the prop and the other half in the shaft.

Good to hear man. I can't believe the key broke so cleanly. I'm glad you fixed the puller and gave it a second try.

The guy who's prop I showed you earlier used a 10 ton puller and bent the ears trying to pull his prop and it looked just like yours.

Now it's off, it will be an easy fix for someone with the right pitch blocks.

Worlds22SSV
08-21-2013, 09:35 PM
[QUOTE=Worlds22SSV;226419]I got the basic 2 arm puller from harbor freight for $20, ...[quote]

Thanks for the tip, that will probably be the cheapest thing I have bought for my boat yet!

We don't have too many weekends left as the lakes seem to keep dropping around here. If I'm not getting any noticeable vibration from the prop, is it alright to keep using it until the season ends? Otherwise I would need to buy another one now.

I am not qualifed to give advice about running your prop bent, but i've known plenty that run for quite a while with chips out of the blades. and just cause you can't feel vibration doesnt mean the shaft/Vdrive isn't dampening some of it.

Worlds22SSV
08-30-2013, 11:59 AM
OK so got prop back early this week just haven't had time to put it on and test it took off today to do just that. i started thinking i should make sure alignment is good before i go to lake and pretty sure my #$%# is %$#%. the motor mount bolts that hold the motor mounts into the side are all bent some worse than others but doesnt look good. I did measure the coupler's as shown in other threads and all seems to be uniform nothing out of wack now i do not have a gauge but used a business card and stayed snug all the way around. I also do not think that this prop strike we took could do this to these bolts. Any advice on where to start maybe with insurance LOL!!!! really not funny but im not happy right now. should of gone to work.183611836218363

kaneboats
08-30-2013, 12:33 PM
I don't know. I'm wondering if the bolts were loose when the strike occurred?

papou
08-31-2013, 09:21 AM
The crooked bolts is a factory thing , my 2012 is the same brand new .