PDA

View Full Version : fish finder

james yarosz
05-07-2003, 07:57 PM
i just bought a 2003 outback ls.i want to install a fish finder. has anybody ever installed and if so where did you mount the transducer? I am worried about the prop wash screwing up the readings.

Catdog1
05-10-2003, 03:05 AM
I've installed a Humminbird 400 TX on a 99 outback. Epoxied the standard multicone sensor to the inside of the hull just forward of where the prop shaft passes through the bottom of the boat. ( could have ordered an optional brass sensor for inboards that would have required through-drilling the hull with a 1" or so hole, but decided against it.)

The way I did it, the sensor is forward of the prop. Works at max speed. If real choppy, the hull allows a lot of air to pass under neath, which confuses the sensor, but under most conditions it reads depth and shows some bottom profile without interference. It is really useful, make that absolutely invaluable, for checking out new skiing waters and for motoring in coves.

In this hull location, the glass is the thinnest on my boat, being essentially single wall and seemingly consistent with the guidelines for properly mounting the sensor.

I had to enlarge the single wall section very slightly using a small forstner drill bit ( removing part of the double hull section of an area about the size of a quarter). Didn't want to do it, but it seemed unlikely to weaken the structure substantially.

The receiver is mounted on the passenger dash just under the windshield on a pivot mount rotated so the driver can see the display.

( I use the fishfinder for depth and bottom profile....This unit is low wattage, therefore not powerful enough to be accurate for fish, in my experience. )

Can't say if it will work on the '03, but thought I should share the concept with you.

I am completely reliant on this unit. I rarely run the boat without the depthfinder being on. Its wires run near my VHF antenna wire, so I do sometimes need turn the depthfinder off to listen to both sides of a radio conversation because of interference with the radio.

james yarosz
05-10-2003, 11:07 AM
thanks for the info catdog,but the one i have has a transom mount transducer so it can tell speed and water temp. i like to know these for fishing.

Catdog1
05-10-2003, 09:51 PM
Mine came with the transom mount speed and temp set-up separate from the depth sensor. The depth sensor could be mounted on transom or pasted to the inside of the hull.

The dealer told me prop wash might be a problem, ust like you are thinking, but maybe if you mount the depth sensor way over on one edge or another of the transom it would work well enough.

Sorry I couldn't help much.. Good luck!