PDA

View Full Version : Lake Shasta trip next summer. Tips and tricks?

jester
08-11-2013, 01:40 PM
I am looking to spend a week at Lake Shasta next summer and have a family get together. I have never been there so looking for the best way to do this. Is it better to get a cabins or a house boat? What is the best company to go through? I will be bring my boat down to spend the whole time on the water. What are some tricks and any tips on the best way to do this. We are looking at 18 to 40 people. Will most likely be on the 18 person side but some family members could surprise us.

EricU
08-11-2013, 06:46 PM
I am looking to spend a week at Lake Shasta next summer and have a family get together. I have never been there so looking for the best way to do this. Is it better to get a cabins or a house boat? What is the best company to go through? I will be bring my boat down to spend the whole time on the water. What are some tricks and any tips on the best way to do this. We are looking at 18 to 40 people. Will most likely be on the 18 person side but some family members could surprise us.

Jester

Plan on going down ahead of time and do a pre run.

It's a big lake that was down a lot this year due to our lack of rain.

Cabins fill up fast and the houseboat prices rise quickly during May, so check the various online pricing. There are a lot of first come camping areas without a lot of amenities. Check with Jones Valley (http://houseboats.com/rentals-from-jones-valleyshasta/) and Silverthorn's (http://www.silverthornresort.com/) for availability and pricing

Lake Oroville is a little farther for you but also a very nice lake with rentals and great camping facilities

jester
08-13-2013, 11:54 AM
Eric,
Thanks for the response. After thinking about this a cabin would be better. Who wants to be stuck on a house boat with family for that many days. Well I would not be since I would just grab the boat and go but the rest of the fam would be.

EricU
08-13-2013, 12:44 PM
...After thinking about this a cabin would be better...

Jester, only problem with the cabins is capacity, they generally don't hold too many people, so you really will need to know who is ACTUALLY going to show up. Which tend tends to be hard as you will get a lot of "Yeah, I'll be there!!, followed by the "...turns out we couldn't make it, sorry..."

Good luck

zabooda
08-13-2013, 12:59 PM
Jester, only problem with the cabins is capacity, they generally don't hold too many people, so you really will need to know who is ACTUALLY going to show up. Which tend tends to be hard as you will get a lot of "Yeah, I'll be there!!, followed by the "...turns out we couldn't make it, sorry..."

Good luck

A nonrefundable deposit is good. When they say they can't make it you can say that you'll make good use of their money.

EricU
08-13-2013, 01:04 PM
A nonrefundable deposit is good. When they say they can't make it you can say that you'll make good use of their money.

Which usually leads to the "...I'll get that to you right away..."