PDA

View Full Version : Water freezing in my boat??

Nboard10
02-06-2006, 03:58 PM
I just bought a Kamberra this past weekend. Unfortunately, the boat did not come with a cover. I trailered it from Virginia to Ohio, and if anyone lives in the midwest or saw the weather - we got nailed with snow and rain. Needless to say, the boat took some water during the trip. I didnt think it was much, but last night I noticed quite a bit in the ski locker.
I am concerned because it may freeze in there. If so - will it cause damage? This may be a silly question - but I have never owned a boat before, but common sense tells me that this cannot be good.

If this is a bad situation....the next problem comes up. I did take out the drain plug last night, but the water wouldnt drain. The boat is not on an angle where it will drain back. The only thing I can think of doing is using a large jack to lift the front of the trailer up.... any other suggestions?

I appreciate your help in advance........ I would hate to have my first boat have any problems....

Thank you

jburnside
02-06-2006, 05:18 PM
Nboard10,
Was the boat winterized before you picked it up? If not, make sure you get it done immediately, you surely don't want your engine to freeze. As for the water in the bilge, either vacuum it out with a shop vac or try to get it on an incline sufficient for it to drain... problem is that you really can't get all of the water out by just draining it. There are several areas that are lower than the drain hole that tend to hold water. I would add a little RV antifreeze to the bilge to be safe. Maybe some others will give ideas also. Good luck.

Congrats on the new purchase! What color... options.... etc...

Easy place to post pics of your ride is at www.wakesiderides.com

Nboard10
02-06-2006, 05:25 PM
Jburnside,

thank you for your quick response.
The boat was winterized by the dealership before I picked it up. What a relief! I have read about winterizing a boat on this blog.....seems like quite a job..

The boat is a white and blue 2000 Moomba Kamberra. It has 600 lbs of ballast (more to come). Wakeboard tower with racks and speakers. It has 270 hrs and ran beautifully on my test run.

Such a bummer it is winter....fortunately I snowboard- help me get through..but it has been a pretty warm winter so far.

I am going to try to jack it up further...see what I can get to drain tonight. And try the shop vac idea.... Thank you!!

I have a few pics I will try to load on.... Have a good one from this weekend - trailering it back in the snowstorm... got quite a few looks on the highway..lol

zabooda
02-06-2006, 08:00 PM
The water in the bilge shouldn't be a problem if there is room to expand. It would take temperatures in the mid-20's or lower to freeze water overnight. You need to start drying the boat out anyway so I would suck up as much water from the shop vac in the bilge and anywhere else it is wet so you don't get a problem with mildew.

Nboard10
02-07-2006, 09:02 AM
Zabooda

Thank you,

I was able to get all the water out of the ski locker last night with the shop vac. Worked great.

I think I might go back tonight a do a complete once over - make sure there isnt any other water anywhere. I don't want to be fighting mildew come spring.

Thanks guys....this message board has been really helpfull so far!

Nate

Yellowmobius
02-07-2006, 09:29 AM
If you can, throw a small fan in your boat for a day or two.
That will help dry out the last of the moisture

pjtatro
02-07-2006, 04:34 PM
If you bought that from Magnum Boating on Smith Mountain Lake, that Is my old boat. You can e-mail me [email protected] if you have any questions. It is a GREAT boat. I understand you got a really good deal, less than they gave me in trade..........

Pete Tatro

Nboard10
02-08-2006, 09:07 AM
I thought I had sucked all of the water out of the ski locker with the vacuum... I went by there last night and find another inch sitting in the locker. The boat is in a large garage and there is no way that any rain or snow has gotten into it. Does anyone know if there is a place where the water is draining into the locker? I just cant seem to find it...

Thanks again...

Pete - I did get a fantastic deal over there. Nice group of guys! The boat runs great- it looks like you took great care of it. I cant wait for spring now..lol

They were telling me that you have a son who is pretty good at wakeboarding and you were getting a new boat to help take his game to the next level. Sounds pretty cool.

pjtatro
02-08-2006, 11:47 AM
Yes, he has aspirations of going pro and we traded it for an 05 XLV Gravity Games.

On the water issue, the only was I was able to drain the water completely was to put my garage floor jack under the wheel and and jack it up until the prop protection plate on the trailer touched the ground. Same problem with my XLV, I almost installed a second lift on the trailer to take over where the factory installed one stopped. I acutally miss that boat, it does run like a scalded dog. I will be glad to give you the history on the boat, just e-mail me or PM me.

Pete