PDA

View Full Version : Is Waxing Bad For A Boat?

jstenger
08-10-2013, 10:18 PM
I thought I read somewhere that waxing was bad for a boat, because the wax gets into the gelcoat and starts to yellow and eventually start to chaulk. Anyone know if this is true? If so, what are you using instead of wax? Seems like all I can find is wax at the boat store, where as if I go to the camper store, I find sprays.

beat taco
08-11-2013, 12:10 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/11/ubu7u7ed.jpg

Off the Craigslist add from last week, boat sold by the guy who bought it from me. Lots of wax since I bought it in '98 and no yellowing.

zabooda
08-11-2013, 03:10 AM
After 16 seasons and being outdoors 100% of the time it looks good but I'm not sure what it would look like if I didn't wax it.

maxpower220
08-11-2013, 10:01 AM
I saw a show (Ship Shape TV) where a guy from the fiberglass industry stated that wax causes chaulking. I was kind of surprised by that. I thought that UV broke down the gel coat causing it.

I live in FL, I see cared for boats (i.e. waxed) and non waxed boats that sit in the sun year round. Wax boat retain color for a MUCH longer time. Regardless of what is said by experts (in this case), I will continue to wax my boat.

Wax
08-12-2013, 10:07 AM
Maybe if the entire gel coat is deteriorated or something, then maybe it's possible that wax would cause bare fiberglass to yellow I guess? I don't know, but pretty much everybody I know waxes their fiberglass watercraft, and all their boats look great, even the older ones. I use the squeeze gel type for quick hand applications throughout the year, but then I actually use regular wax and an electric buffer once a year.

NateHaskovec
08-12-2013, 02:56 PM
Maybe if the entire gel coat is deteriorated or something, then maybe it's possible that wax would cause bare fiberglass to yellow I guess? I don't know, but pretty much everybody I know waxes their fiberglass watercraft, and all their boats look great, even the older ones. I use the squeeze gel type for quick hand applications throughout the year, but then I actually use regular wax and an electric buffer once a year.

Your name is Wax. Of course you're a proponent.

bkearney
08-12-2013, 03:08 PM
I purchased a used boat that sat out, and had caulking on the side. Since I did one buffing, and waxed it every year, it looks good.

-- bk

brain_rinse
08-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Just an old wives tale that won't die. Chalking is just fiberglass oxidizing because it hasn't been properly maintained. So use any good "wax" (aka sealant or polish depending on mfg) and keep your gelcoat looking shiny and no chalking.

tgoody14
08-12-2013, 03:54 PM
After putting a good wax on do you guys spray the boat down with anything like a top coat/protectant to keep the dirt/grim of lake water from leaving a line around the boat when taking it out of the water!?

We have really hard sulfur water here and when I pull the boat out, there's a white powdery film all the way around the boat at the waterline. It wipes off with a towel and some elbow grease, but I feel like there should be something simple to keep this from happening...

Thoughts?

Wax
08-12-2013, 04:40 PM
Your name is Wax. Of course you're a proponent.

Haha true statement.

Funny how that name came about, I spent a lot of time in arcades as a kid like in Vegas and Tahoe because of our family out there and my parents like to gamble. For like a high score on a game or something where you put initials in I would usually randomly just hit the buttons for initials, but one time out came WAX. From that point forward I just always used it.

skiyaker
08-12-2013, 08:47 PM
I wax my boat(s) twice per year with marine wax and after each use I spray with a vinegar/ turtle wax spray 50/50 mix. Boats stay nice and shiny.

jmvotto
08-12-2013, 09:28 PM
After putting a good wax on do you guys spray the boat down with anything like a top coat/protectant to keep the dirt/grim of lake water from leaving a line around the boat when taking it out of the water!?

We have really hard sulfur water here and when I pull the boat out, there's a white powdery film all the way around the boat at the waterline. It wipes off with a towel and some elbow grease, but I feel like there should be something simple to keep this from happening...

Thoughts?

I use babes products, been very happy with them, they have a spot solver spay, plus a spay wax, I use McGuire marine wax as well.

http://www.babesboats.com/

parrothd
08-13-2013, 08:36 AM
Are you sure you heard John right? Think I've seen every episode and he's a big proponent of waxing.. Especially with whatever product is sponsoring him... :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

parrothd
08-13-2013, 08:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU4-eCRbhEE&sns=em

Right around 55 seconda..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2