PDA

View Full Version : impeller help.

gmthielke
02-05-2006, 06:36 PM
Hi
Im new to moomba, and inboards. i just bought my family a new 2006 outback lsv. Now i heard something new. i just read that an impeller is better to have than a prop on inboard boats. i thought impellers were only for jet boats. anyway i should buy a second prop for my boat anyway so is this better, what does an impeller do, and how do i install it?
Thanks, Greg

Jon
02-05-2006, 07:32 PM
An impeller is what brings water to your engine from your raw water intake scoop on the bottom of your boat. It is made of rubber. You check/replace these usually after every year when you get it winterized. They are only around $35. I suggest definitely keeping a spare in your boat. Your impeller housing is on the front of your engine (very back of the boat since your boat is a v-drive and the engine is turned around backwards). You will see two two hoses attached to the housing. One is the hose from your raw water scoop and the other takes the water from the housing to your engine for cooling. Basically, you take out four screws and remove a plate on your impeller housing. You can use a pair of pliers or an impeller puller to remove it. You just slide the new impeller in after you get the old one out and screw the plate back on. Job done.

AL02REDMOBLSV
02-06-2006, 12:54 PM
Here is a thread I started after replacing mine.

This thread is getting alot of mileage! :P

water pump impeller findings (http://www.moomba.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2034)