PDA

View Full Version : Ballast continues to fill

KT Mobius
08-07-2013, 10:08 PM
I've had my 08 LSV for 5 summers and have ran into my first issue with ballast. My right ballast fills no matter what, I recently replaced the solenoid to no avail. Should I now replace the valve? Interestingly enough once I replaced the solenoid on the right side the left ballast wont fill. :confused:

detipton
08-07-2013, 11:50 PM
I had a similar problem, but for me it was the front ballast. I changed the sprinkler valve and my problem went a way. I could finally the the front when I wanted to. When I pulled the old sprinkler valve out and I blow thru the value it was like there was no valve.
Good luck
David

kaneboats
08-08-2013, 12:24 AM
Run a search on here on "sprinkler" or "sprinkler valve" and see what turns up. They are a little temperamental but you can deal with them. Run a search on "Irritrol" if you want a valve replacement that's a little better and a little higher flow. Good luck!

KT Mobius
08-08-2013, 01:15 AM
That's exactly what I thought, I will change it out tomorrow. Thanks

KT Mobius
08-08-2013, 05:32 PM
I just replaced the valve, its as good as new.:cool:

BobP
08-08-2013, 05:51 PM
I have the same problem but with the left ballast, fills no matter what. Have to constantly have pump running to empty it while the center and right fill....which takes forever. Doesn't the solenoid open/shut the valve? It would seem if the solenoid was "off" then the valve should not be open. I guess I need to try replacing the valve too.

KT Mobius
08-08-2013, 11:44 PM
Yep, replace the valve. It's cheap and easy.

cornrickey
08-09-2013, 01:33 AM
I was looking at switching to the higher flow valves but the cost to benefit didn't seem to add up. Are you seeing noticeable faster fill times with them?

KT Mobius
08-10-2013, 01:02 PM
I'm still using the stock valves but when I do an upgrade I will definitely go with individual pumps.

Cauley
08-30-2013, 08:03 PM
Can someone provide a link on how to replace a valve? I'm very limited when it comes to repairs but have the same issue that may center ballast always fills when moving or filling rear bags and only way to stop it is to turn of emergency main valve. From reading posts it appears I need to replace value but I don't know where to start. Any help would be great!

kaneboats
08-30-2013, 09:01 PM
You better start with your boat and model year. Lots of years have different systems. If you have a GIII sprinkler valve system you need to look for the manifold with the 3 valves that open to fill the 3 bags. It looks like this:

You can take the valves apart and clean them out. They are very simple. You can buy replacements at Home Depot for about $15. Take pics, ask questions. Don't be afraid. This is very simple stuff even for the non-mechanically inclined. It's just a water pump and a valve that opens. If the valve is sticky it stays open and fills all the time. You want the valve set to closed so it only opens when energized. You'll be fine.

rdlangston13
08-30-2013, 09:38 PM
There is a small switch on the valve that will manually open it. If this is switched open then it doesn't matter what the ballast toggle position is, it will fill all the time while moving.

Cauley
08-30-2013, 09:48 PM
Ok, sorry I have a 2008 LSV with a center and rear ballasts. I have moved the switches on the valves to open and closed and it doesn't change - water continues to fill when at speed or when I fill rear bags. So I assume I can take off the 8 or so screws on the front of the valve but then what-how do I clean it or will it be self explanatory once I open it? Then based on comment can i just get a new value at Home Depot and plug and play? Thanks again. This is a new boat for me (1 month) and love it but I have a lot to learn.

rdlangston13
08-31-2013, 07:35 AM
Ok, sorry I have a 2008 LSV with a center and rear ballasts. I have moved the switches on the valves to open and closed and it doesn't change - water continues to fill when at speed or when I fill rear bags. So I assume I can take off the 8 or so screws on the front of the valve but then what-how do I clean it or will it be self explanatory once I open it? Then based on comment can i just get a new value at Home Depot and plug and play? Thanks again. This is a new boat for me (1 month) and love it but I have a lot to learn.

I tried to clean them before and when I put it back together none of them worked. At like $15 each I would just go to Home Depot and buy a new one. That's what I did for all three

Sent from my iPhone

jmvotto
08-31-2013, 08:02 AM
Should look like this, un screw them an replace.

http://t.homedepot.com/p/Orbit-3-4-in-FPT-Auto-Inline-Valve-NFC-57100/100025518/

http://www.lowes.com/pd_50161-74985-57100_0__?productId=1091027&Ntt=orbit+sprinkler&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dorbit%2Bsprinkler&facetInfo=

kaneboats
08-31-2013, 10:55 AM
If you have a sprinkler supplier in town I'd go to this valve. It's much more reliable and lets a little more water through when open. I only have 2 sprinkler valves left in my system (surf bag uses a Moombadaze 2 pump system with check valves instead). One is an original the other is one of these-- works great!

http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Irritrol-Sprinkler-Irrigation-Valve-p/ir-700b-75.htm

Only a few bucks more but well worth it.

treverspence
08-31-2013, 05:31 PM
I replaced my 04 XLV sprinkler vaives with these and haven't had an issue since.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-4-NPT-20mm-Brass-Normally-Closed-2-Way-Solenoid-Valve-NBR-Gas-Air-Water-Oil-/230736662062?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item35b8fa0e2e

Cauley
09-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Thanks everyone! I was able to get the valve at Lowes and managed to replace it myself. The pictures and links everyone provided really helped! Thanks again.

SD17
01-02-2016, 05:27 PM
Can someone point me in the right direction as to where the valve for the center ski locker bag would be located for a 2006 outback v? I have the same problem with the bag always filling while the boat is in motion.

mmandley
01-03-2016, 12:20 PM
Can someone point me in the right direction as to where the valve for the center ski locker bag would be located for a 2006 outback v? I have the same problem with the bag always filling while the boat is in motion.

Under the V drive cover, you will see a pipe with 3 valves of you have gravity 3 ballast, on those grey valves is a black lever < switch >

SD17
01-03-2016, 09:15 PM
Ok thank you. So if I'm understanding this thread correctly then the valve just needs to be replaced correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kaneboats
01-04-2016, 04:05 PM
Sometimes they can just be cleaned. Heck, sometimes the switch on the valve is just in the wrong position.

TonyOz
02-02-2016, 08:09 AM
Hi guys great forum. Going to take advice and replace valve likely with irritrol 700
ones as mentioned earlier. Are they simply swap with orbit. Will switch panel still control the valves?

dusty2221
02-02-2016, 08:16 AM
Yup, it's a direct swap and your switch still controls them.

TonyOz
02-05-2016, 01:08 AM
Thanks ... on my weekend to do list!