PDA

View Full Version : Night Boarding

snyderaaron
08-05-2013, 10:42 PM
Anybody wakeboard at night with the tower light? Our problem is the lights are too bright. Any ideas.

zabooda
08-06-2013, 01:20 AM
Go without. Less chance of getting caught.

bergermaister
08-06-2013, 09:56 AM
We've done it - actually better with the lights off. Turned them on a few times picking up the rider - at my request since I was the one in the water! Don't even have lights on the tower now.

We had a blast doing this last summer but we had the river to ourselves and had already been out all day so were confident there were no logs or floaters to worry about. Downside was my wife only had her sunglasses and is blind as a bat without them so she was getting a little anxious because it was REALLY dark for her. Up here driving away from the sunset feels a lot darker than driving towards it.

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/P1090622.jpg

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/P1090625.jpg

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/P1090626.jpg

Night surfs are fun too. Our friends have gone out and turned off all their interior lights and stick glow sticks all over on the rider's vest and tape a few to the board with packing tape. Looks pretty cool.

New Guy
08-06-2013, 10:07 AM
I have never wrecked so hard in my life until we tried night wakeboarding. Glowsticks on the vest no tower light small moon it was a recipe for disaster. I caught a toe edge on a simple wake to wake because I couldn't see the wake / water to spot my landing. I can now say I did it but I am not going to rush out and go again.

KG's Supra24
08-06-2013, 10:34 AM
^ Agree with that. We enjoyed night surfing but wakeboarding was too sketchy. It was tough to judge when and where you were going to hit the water on the landing side of the wake

moombadaze
08-06-2013, 02:15 PM
no night surfing or boarding here-you fall, you might be dinner.

saskie99
08-06-2013, 03:36 PM
i towed a friend of mine this weekend for a night wakeboard, and he sprained his ankle pretty band on scarecrow that ended up bad. Now he cant ride for quite a while.

bergermaister
08-06-2013, 05:25 PM
I think y'all are nuts to be doing any big jumps or tricks in the dark... Cruising is way less painful - until you rip through a swarm of bugs on the surface.

kaneboats
08-06-2013, 11:15 PM
Bugs? Ha ha. See post #6 above.

bergermaister
08-07-2013, 02:13 AM
I figured that was the green shoes and purses with teeth he was talking about. I'll take the bugs any day over that!

sicktc06
08-07-2013, 01:57 PM
We went wakeboarding one night! ...at 2:30 am! Wasn't the brightest idea either, especially where we did it. But I was the only one who knew the lake the best so they made me drive. My buddy landed his first backroll though!! We had the radio up playing loud, all the lights the boat had were on (Nav and anchor light!) and boarded for about 30 minutes.

The next morning around 8:30, the DNR Ranger stopped and paid a little visit to our campsite. "We had some complaints of people wakeboarding last night, real early in the morning. They were in a Red boat. You guys know anything about that??"
Us: "No sir! We heard some music but didn't see anyone or anything! But I don't know anyone with a red boat, my boat's Black and Yellow and sitting right down there in the water!" *points to boat*
DNR: (skeptical look on face) "Well ok, you boys keep your eyes open, if you see anything give us a call and let us know."

...What they didn't know was the red boat was sitting just around the bend. If he had walked 8 steps to the left, he would have seen it floating there. :P

Koocanusa_eh
08-11-2013, 11:28 AM
Illegal in Canada, might be a criminal offence.

Replicant
08-15-2013, 02:37 PM
It is illegal in our state as well. However, we were out surfing Tuesday night till about 8:30. Wonderful night, could not have been more perfect. We then tied up to a local restaurant and had a big meal. It was about 11:00 on the way back to the launch when I had a real urge to fill up the sacs again and go for another surf. My wife reminded me that the Sheriff would love to bust us. Overall, good guys but very active on our stretch of the river.

wolff supra21v
08-15-2013, 05:29 PM
We wakeboard a couple times a year and surf a lot at night on a privite lake. We also run the river alot and will surf till around 10 at night which is illegal but dnr has not got us yet.
I added a pair these lights to my tower and i feel they work good wakeboarding and we have to aim them to the sides of the boat when we surf else they will bind you.
also work great for cleaning the boat at night after riding late.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AZPI0NE/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

zabooda
08-16-2013, 02:02 AM
Washington State: One hour after sunset which is basically twilight.

5) No person shall engage or attempt to engage in water skiing, or operate any vessel to tow a water skier, on the waters of Washington state during the period from one hour after sunset until one hour prior to sunrise. A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor, punishable as provided under RCW 9.92.030.

kaneboats
08-16-2013, 09:25 AM
Doesn't say anything about surfin, skurfing, wakeboarding, kneeboarding, etc.