PDA

View Full Version : I Pod Hookup?

LSV04
02-04-2006, 09:22 AM
My son wants to hook his I Pod up to the stereo-what do I need or do I have to have someone do it?

Yellowmobius
02-04-2006, 11:46 AM
I hook my Ipod up to my Alpine deck. Alpine has a $100 interface box. You hook one end to the ipod and the other to your "Alpine" deck.
Works SLICK, You control the ipod through the deck.
Yes, you have to have a Alpine deck for this setup to work.

Not sure if you can do this with other decks.

stang67
02-04-2006, 11:43 PM
I believe that pioneer has it as well. An interface that connects to the ipod as well. You can use the headunit to controll the ipod, pretty sweet.

Eric

SkiKY
02-07-2006, 04:57 PM
A couple other options would include a FM transmitter that broadcasts the IPOD to an unused FM station. Not particularly great sound quality but an easy $30 set up. Alternatively, assuming you have the stock Kenwood deck changer controls you can get an adapter that coverts the disk changer multi-pin input to RCA jacks and from there to a headphone jack. Plug the headphone jack into the IPOD and while you could not control the IPOD from the deck, you would have high quality sound. The adapters and cables would run around $50.

Buttafewcoe
02-07-2006, 07:23 PM
Still, though............I don't like being at the mercy of what ever the radio is playing. True you can narrow it down by subscription. However, I would not trade my MP3 player for a years' worth of free XM or Sirius. Better than a disc changer...all toons hand picked.....up to 200 cuts on a cd.......but that's just mho
Hope this helps
B

Will Watters
02-07-2006, 08:55 PM
The Kenwood breakout cable is model CA-C1AUX. I got mine at Good Guys for around twenty bucks. I snaked the receptical through a hole in the glove box and I can connect my MP3 player to the Kenwood, select Aux source and all my MP3 tunes can be played through the radio. Works reasonably well. On some tunes the volume is a bit low and requires more volume, then the radio can blast out too loud on MP3s that I somehow recorded at a higher volume???

Will

JoeTechie
02-08-2006, 03:48 AM
Yup,

Since you have an '04 - you have Kenwood, and the Adapter cable above should work.
Available Here (http://www.cardomain.com/item/KENCAC1AUX)

But don't plug the Hadphone jack into it using a 1/8" stereo (headphone) to dual RCA cable like Will is probably doing. Use one of these:
Logiix Docking Port to Dual RCA (http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=LOG-LGX-78911&Category_Code=APLIPODACCCABL&Product_Count=4 ) Much better to use the line out vs the headphone out.

Each $20, so you can't go wrong on price, and you are getting a direct audio link (vs FM transmitter) so audio is excellent.

My plan is to convert the Kenwood cable so the ends are panel mount RCA's, and then permanently installing those inside the glove box, so all you do is plug in the rca's, and go. I'll take pics and post.

Hope this helps,

Joe

Buttafewcoe
02-08-2006, 06:46 AM
On those tunes that play too loud or too soft......some media players have a feature called 'volume leveling'. I think you will find if you use that feature on your library before you burn your CDs, it will help greatly to balance out the loudness of all your mp3's.
Hope this helps
B

J-Lawv
02-26-2006, 02:04 AM
i got an FM transmitter and it works sweet.. it sounds just like a CD... you just cant get the cheep ones.. theres a reason some are only 30 bucks, cuz they suck... but mine was 85 bucks, plugs into the cigarette lighter and it charges it as it plays.. and it sounds just like a cd and plays thru ur radio... pretty much any station too... as u can tell i'm pleased w/ mine hah... it makes everything alot easier