PDA

View Full Version : ballast bags won't completely empty

mikeaddy
07-28-2013, 02:26 PM
Is it normal for ballast bags to not completely empty on their own without lifting the bags to drain them?

REDFIVE48
07-28-2013, 02:31 PM
Is it normal for ballast bags to not completely empty on their own without lifting the bags to drain them?

I seem to have to do this, and sometimes even when I lift the bag they wont drain anymore, so I click the fill switch for a few seconds (enough to have them start to fill), then hit the drains again. Now I store my bags hanging out of the lockers since I have to hang them like that to drain them completely. Storing this way lets the carpet dry under them.

Sent from my Slider SL101 using Tapatalk HD

yotaismygame
07-28-2013, 02:42 PM
If you drain them while cruising most of the water should drain out

mikeaddy
07-28-2013, 03:57 PM
Is it just the forward momentum of the boat and the gravity moving the water to the back?

mikeaddy
07-28-2013, 04:01 PM
Seems like such a hassel, I hope this isn't standard procedures, certainly worth the efforts when storing but not for swapping sides for surfing!

MLA
07-28-2013, 05:21 PM
Mike,

What style of pumps does your system have and how much water is left in the sacs? Are there check-valves in the vent lines?

mikeaddy
07-28-2013, 06:14 PM
Mike,

What style of pumps does your system have and how much water is left in the sacs? Are there check-valves in the vent lines?

Pumps ars original factory in the 2008 moomba mobius lsv (but I don't know what style they are), they're left with about 1/4 full. No check valves in the lines.

MLA
07-28-2013, 08:09 PM
A forth of the water remaining in the sac is pretty significant.

WHMOJO
08-04-2013, 01:29 AM
I have a similar problem... Mine always have water left in them even when the gauge reads 0%. Rear bags easy, i lift them to help drain. Hard tank tougher. I check for full drain while on the lift. I can hear / watch the water pour out and hear the flow slow down before the pump starts to whine. I don't have check valves either but its hard to believe that i am draining air when the bags (rear) are full....

Cigars n scotch
08-05-2013, 01:29 PM
I have this problem with my '08 Supra 21V. Front bag drains fine but my two rear bags always have water in them, and a significant amount. Annoys me. Sometimes I will try emptying them while I have the bow up in the air at minimal speed to send all of the water to the drain hose but it doesn't always work.

I always wondered if I replaced the factory pumps would it solve my problem. I am not sure if my drain hoses have check valves, I don't think they do.

Just last night I drove home with probably 50% left in my rear bags. Even standing on them wouldn't work. Good thing I only live 3.5 miles to the ramp now...

brain_rinse
08-05-2013, 01:39 PM
Wakemakers will suggest you move your drain pumps as close to the bag as possible. If you set up the rear bags like the ski locker I'm guessing this will fix your issue. But there is also a reason the factory switched to the reversible pumps in newer boats...

freshturk
08-05-2013, 06:44 PM
Same problem here, but my problem is usually on the port side locker, it appears to be a plumbing issue in my boat. Drain hose will get tilted upwards thus resulting in water left in the bottom of the bag. Starboard sac is plumbed slightly different and it doesnt occur. I guess i could always cut a hole in my portside false wall and likely stop this but that sounds like as much of a hassle as having to empty while underway.

brain_rinse
08-05-2013, 06:59 PM
Same problem here, but my problem is usually on the port side locker, it appears to be a plumbing issue in my boat. Drain hose will get tilted upwards thus resulting in water left in the bottom of the bag. Starboard sac is plumbed slightly different and it doesnt occur. I guess i could always cut a hole in my portside false wall and likely stop this but that sounds like as much of a hassle as having to empty while underway.

I have a similar problem... Mine always have water left in them even when the gauge reads 0%. Rear bags easy, i lift them to help drain. Hard tank tougher. I check for full drain while on the lift. I can hear / watch the water pour out and hear the flow slow down before the pump starts to whine. I don't have check valves either but its hard to believe that i am draining air when the bags (rear) are full....

Both of you guys have the same symptom but different underlying issues as you've got the newer, reversible pumps. Mike's got the aerator pumps with sprinkler manifold.