PDA

View Full Version : Does the prop affect the wake?

Boatdrinks797
07-26-2013, 12:55 AM
My buddy just changed the prop on his Centurion Enzo and after going out this past week we both noticed what appeared to be a much flatter and softer wake. I know he propped down considerably, but don't know what he switched from/to.

I can't figure out how switching props could have any affect on the size and shape of the wake, but that's why I got all of you guys! Are we delusional?

Thanks,

mmandley
07-26-2013, 09:03 AM
No not at all, as you prop down the engine RPM will lower and the wash will be considerably less.

Think of the prop as a Tire on your car.

Get big tires and they wont spin as easy, but in the end you can go faster due to a larger rolling surface.
Small tires will make you go faster off the line but a lot less top end.

Props are the same.

Smaller prop is more like a Big tire, you cant accelerate as fast but you will have higher top end due to the engine working less at high rpm

Bigger prop accelerate faster but less top end.

Now this is all relative because props have Pitch and this plays a huge amount in performance.

In short though if your buddy went to a smaller prop and it has a different pitch it will have a different water flow characteristic as it pushes water out the rear of the boat so it can have effects on the rooster tail behind the boat.

lsvboombox
07-26-2013, 09:45 AM
There are mixed feelings about this phenomenon. Some people say that different pitch/size props will create different flows under the boat which will affect the wake. In the example of your buddy if all things remained the same and only the prop changed its pretty hard to attribute the change to anything but the prop. I say you guys put the old prop back on and call mythbusters

Boatdrinks797
07-26-2013, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the clarification...I should have said he propped up then (lost higher top end). He's getting the other prop repaired after what he claims he hit the root of a water lily?!? I think that would be a better myth to test, cause I'm calling BS! I've never dug one up, but apparently their roots are a big fibrous bulb.

maxpower220
07-26-2013, 12:15 PM
Contact Acme or OJ props and ask professionals this question. The answer will be Absolutely YES. Props can and do effect the wake. This is know to occur on ski boats at ski speeds. There are many threads with supporting photos to "prove" it.

Will your boat and wake be effected, I don't know. Perhaps it will, or maybe it won't.