PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Moomba Outback

BigRed0803
02-01-2006, 09:32 PM
What's up everyone, I have another question for the Moomba community to see if anyone has any thoughts on something I am thinking of doing. I again have a 2004 Moomba Outback with the 310 hp carbed engine. I read in the owners manual that all moomba boats come standard with a silencer exhaust system. Well I was thinking of tearing into it alittle bit and taking off the silencer exhaust system and simply running a straight exhaust. I was wondering if anyone out there has tried this or if anyone knows of any reasons why this may not be a good idea. I was just thinking it would be an easy way of changing the sound of my boat.

Look forward to your replys!!!!!!

Buttafewcoe
02-02-2006, 01:17 PM
There will be some 'noise pollution' laws for watercraft passed in the near future. I would be careful how loud you make it. Plus I think it would be harder to hear the stereo
(lmao...did I just mention noise pollution?)
Those mufflers look to be 'glassed into the boat, I think. Last year I had my '04 Outback's floor up to grease the rudder (there's a fitting on it), and it seems it was that way.
Hope this helps
B

lowdrag
02-03-2006, 09:23 AM
You may want to take performance into account also. These engines are in a little higher state of tune than the versions made for a car or truck. A lot of that is due to the fact that they don't have all of the emissions gear on them to worry about which means they are already pretty free flowing on the exhaust side. By removing the mufflers, you may actually lose some low end performance since a certain amount of backpressure on the exhaust side is required to make the low end torque that a towing boat like this needs.

james yarosz
02-03-2006, 08:04 PM
On my 03 Outback LS both muffler's had to be replaced becaused the end's were cracked.I think the factory overtightened the clamp's.They are not glassed in ,they just have a large round clamp holding them in. I love my boat but I do think it is too quite.My neighbor on my lake bought my old boat(another inboard)which is a little louder,and has a way nicer sound to it. Every time he goes out he back's up towards my dock and takes off out into the lake just to make me jealoss.:)

BigRed0803
02-04-2006, 02:44 PM
Thanks James Yarosz, you were a big help I was wanting to know if you think that your neighbors boat was to loud? What kind of exhaust does he have, if any? I have torn into the boat alittle bit but I can't seem to figure out how the center section of the floor behind the engine comes out if you have any insight of how that comes out please let me know. I really appreciate all your help, thanks alot.

lowdrag
02-05-2006, 02:29 AM
There should just be 4 screws that run through the floor panel into the stringers. 2 in the front by the motor box and 2 in the rear just in front of the seat. You'll have to feel around to find them as they are usually covered by the carpet. Pull those out and lift up on the front of the panel, slide it forward so the back clears the rear seat and it should come right out.

james yarosz
02-05-2006, 11:36 AM
My neighbors boat(which was mine for 10 years)does have mufflers but they are about half the size of Moomba's mufflers. I don't think it's too loud it just has a nice tone,especially when he's on the gas.

BigRed0803
02-11-2006, 02:39 PM
Lowdrag, After I find the screws in the floor under the carpet, will taking them up mess up the look of my carpet or do you think they will hide themselves again when i screw them back in. I really want to change the sound of my boat but I do not want to affect the look of the floor or carpet by doing so. Thanks alot.

james yarosz
02-11-2006, 11:40 PM
I took the screws out of mine and removed the panel to replace the muffler's.When I put the panel in I never replaced the screws.The panel is a snug fit and is under the seat in the back,and under the motor cover in the front.It hasn't moved yet.

lowdrag
02-12-2006, 08:12 AM
It may take a little work if you want to get the screws back in without being able to see them. You'll just have to screw them in a little at a time and probably use something like a pick to keep pulling the carpet out from under them so it doesn't get trapped and pushed down under the screw.