PDA

View Full Version : Just saved at least $200, thanks to this forum (AGAIN)

tgoody14
07-22-2013, 03:07 PM
For those of you that don't know... I sold my 04 Outback in Feb to upgrade to an LSV and found my dream boat, color scheme and all and well taken care of. She was 5 years old with only 200 hours on her and ran like a dream. As of lately we have gone from 50/50 wakeboard/surf to 0/100 surf and that's when I started noticing a slight hesitation between 5-7mph, almost like a hiccup, but consistent at that speed and went away as I sped up...

Got on here and starting reading up on fuel filters, spark plugs, gasoline, fuel pumps, etc... I realized this was a common problem with a not so hard fix. So being that the boat has 200 hrs and I had no boat records for any maintenance from the original owner, I figured I would just start with replacing the fuel filter and might as well swap out the spark plugs while I'm in the boat with the tools.... Annnnnnnd BOOM problem solved!!! This whole process took me an hour and $80 in parts ($20 fuel filter, $60 on plugs). Not to mention the self reward of doing it yourself and actually fixing the problem. So yea I figure I saved at least $200, maybe $300 on parts and labor just by reading up on here... like my signature says...

SOOOO THANK YOU GUYS FOR BEING AWESOME!!!!!

sandm
07-22-2013, 03:28 PM
greatest satisfaction is doing it yourself. congrats....

jester
07-22-2013, 03:30 PM
That is great to hear. So all the reading of the forms at work has paid off. Only issue is you told us you have saved $300. We have all sorts of improvements you can do for $300 - $3,000. Like add another Exile amp or a new wakesurf board, how about a custom cover. All sorts of ideas come to mind.

EricU
07-22-2013, 05:18 PM
That is great to hear. So all the reading of the forms at work has paid off. Only issue is you told us you have saved $300. We have all sorts of improvements you can do for $300 - $3,000. Like add another Exile amp or a new wakesurf board, how about a custom cover. All sorts of ideas come to mind.

Oh hell yes!!! You will need;

Two more tower speakers
Another amp
Maybe upgraded head unit
LEDs
SeaDek
GPS Perfect Pass (if you don't - get it now!)
New Bimini - even if it is just to change colors!
A new towable cover from Evolution
A STUPID amount of ballast - besides the wakes, it makes for cool photos and the kids get to wear their vests in the boat!!
Then redo your interior so it's as nice as Berg's!!
Switch covers from OTRATTW
On board charger
Rotating Seat Mod

But they are fun boats!!!

It is good to get under the hood once in a while, just to know where things are; pumps, breakers, fuses etc, etc.

Nice job on saving that $300, now go spend it and help keep the economy going!!

moombadaze
07-22-2013, 05:34 PM
great to hear, but yeh, you didnt save, you just now have more money for other fun stuff after you tell the wife it really cost 500.

boat on

tgoody14
07-22-2013, 05:40 PM
Oh hell yes!!! You will need;

Two more tower speakers
Another amp
Maybe upgraded head unit
LEDs
SeaDek
GPS Perfect Pass (if you don't - get it now!)
New Bimini - even if it is just to change colors!
A new towable cover from Evolution
A STUPID amount of ballast - besides the wakes, it makes for cool photos and the kids get to wear their vests in the boat!!
Then redo your interior so it's as nice as Berg's!!
Switch covers from OTRATTW
On board charger
Rotating Seat Mod

But they are fun boats!!!

It is good to get under the hood once in a while, just to know where things are; pumps, breakers, fuses etc, etc.

Nice job on saving that $300, now go spend it and help keep the economy going!!

LOL
I'm good on Mods and Upgrades til the off season (is there a such thing?)

DONE:
LEDs
3,000lb Ballast
Reinforced rear lockers
Removed Cooler
Upgraded Prop
Swivel Racks
Windows Tinted
Over $1k in Exile gear

To Do:
Swivel Seat for sure this winter!

Until then I'm gonna enjoy the rest of the season relaxing 😎

moombadaze
07-22-2013, 05:43 PM
LOL
I'm good on Mods and Upgrades til the off season (is there a such thing?)

DONE:
LEDs
3,000lb Ballast
Reinforced rear lockers
Removed Cooler
Upgraded Prop
Swivel Racks
Windows Tinted
Over $1k in Exile gear

To Do:
Swivel Seat for sure this winter!

Until then I'm gonna enjoy the rest of the season relaxing 

dang nice start on the mods

EricU
07-22-2013, 09:16 PM
dang nice start on the mods

No kidding, I forgot the swivel racks and prop.

After gassing it up and filling the (real) cooler with ice and beverages, not gonna be much left. And being in FL, you get to board almost all year!! What offseason?

Plus you still need the new SeaDek!!!17947

BTW, I'm not really trying to help. I just like talking about boarding, beer, Florida and seeing my boat's pics online!

cornrickey
07-22-2013, 11:41 PM
($20 fuel filter, $60 on plugs)!!

that there is some pricy plus.

tgoody14
07-23-2013, 09:58 AM
BTW, I'm not really trying to help. I just like talking about boarding, beer, Florida and seeing my boat's pics online!

lol I completely understand. I'm right there with ya man

cornrickey - yea I went with the factory replacement ac delco platinum plugs so they were a little more than the iridium, like $7 each.

moombadaze
07-23-2013, 01:07 PM
What offseason?

It happens when the temp hits 80. why go when its cold out, right?

and then there is the wife and daughter not wanting to go for one week every month due to gators- so you end up with a lot of "offseason"

and lets not even talk about the rain only raining on the weekends--even more "offseason"