PDA

View Full Version : Raw water hose exploded

nsharum
07-21-2013, 09:24 PM
Any ideas what might have caused this? I have never had any issues with this boat. 2004 outback. thanks for the help.

Lynn Syndrom
07-22-2013, 08:30 AM
Any chance you could post a picture of the hose and were it burst? 1) Hose failure at the point where it is clamped? 2) Some type of reduced / retarded flow due to a clog in the water system. 4) Does your boat have an inline water strainer? 5) Check damaged hose for abrasion that may have caused failure. 6) Definitely recommend an inspection of the water pump impeller. I have seen them deteriorate, break apart, and clog the system.

wolfeman131
07-22-2013, 10:26 AM
for you long-timers, didn't sled have an ongoing issue with this and finally came to the conclusion that he was getting too shallow at his lift and bringing sand into the system and the abrasion from that created weak spots for the hose to then fail?

viking
07-22-2013, 10:40 AM
I had a blow out of the "J-tube" last year. Noticed a change in temperature right after planing on takeoff and then water started to fill the boat. Opened up the motorbox cover and there was a 6-8in cut in the J-hose. Looked like someone slit it with a knife.
It's always something with a boat or RV. Part of the experience :)

newty
07-22-2013, 03:36 PM
Double check your thermostat housing. That is likely the culprit. There is a bypass in there and if it gets plugged w impeller parts that exact thing will happen. That would be the first place is look, second would be the trans cooler inlet. Definitely check both.

moombadaze
07-22-2013, 05:58 PM
for you long-timers, didn't sled have an ongoing issue with this and finally came to the conclusion that he was getting too shallow at his lift and bringing sand into the system and the abrasion from that created weak spots for the hose to then fail?

He did have something going on with sand getting in there, cant remember the details, must be this old age thing

nsharum
07-22-2013, 08:10 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I will be sure to check all the things you guys suggested. Viking the issue is exactly the same as what happened to you.

nsharum
07-22-2013, 08:11 PM
Viking where did you find a replacement hose?

viking
07-22-2013, 11:38 PM
ordered it from Atlanta Marine. They shipped it out to me FAST..........GREAT customer Service. They knew exactly what I was talking about when I said "j-hose".
I find I can get things alot quicker by ordering through a "good" dealer who knows whats going on and into actually helping the boat owner. Look them up and they'll get you fixed.
Don't have their number right off-hand but I'm sure someone from the East Cost can post it up here for you???

wolfeman131
07-23-2013, 08:16 AM
The folks at Atlanta Marine are great! When you call, ask for Cynde and let her know you're from the forum. I think she gets a kick out of helping folks around the world, and she has! Last year she shipped parts to Australia for a guy who couldn't anyone else to help him out.

770-945-5666

http://www.mbatlantamarineservice.com/html/home.html

newty
07-23-2013, 10:48 AM
Viking where did you find a replacement hose?

Check your local auto parts store. They will have a huge variety of shapes and bends to choose from. Usually they'll let you dig through them until you find what you need. Worth looking anyway.

jzelt
07-25-2013, 02:08 PM
I noticed a couple years ago our J-hose rubbing on the pulley. I zip-tied it up out of the way before it rubbed thru.
May be something for others to look at.