PDA

View Full Version : Boat Cover Help

treverspence
07-20-2013, 05:46 PM
Need some suggestions on a boat cover for my 2004 XLV back in March I bought a Sharkskin Supreme SD supposed to be their best material from Westland back in March of this year & I took the cover off today and boat looked as if it had been sitting out in the weather uncovered for a year the vinyl had black and brown spotting everywhere. Boat had been taken out 3 weeks prior to today and when I got back off the water I completely detailed the boat including spraying it down with the boat candy vinyl spray. The cover is allowing rain and dirt that has settled onto the cover to bleed through onto the vinyl in the boat & causing a complete mess. Also what is the best thing to use for the spotting so far I have tried Boat candy vinyl cleaner (useless) Mr Clean Magic Eraser ( removed 90% of buildup) and soap and water and elbow grease Need to find something to remove the light staining that magic eraser wouldn't get out I have ordered some 303 to see if that will get it off. Just for reference the boat sits out in the weather other than being under the boat cover. Haven't been able to come up with the $15-20k to build a garage for it since the garage has to look like the house damn homeowners association.

lewisb13
07-20-2013, 07:08 PM
A pile of people on here have the Evolution cover. Mike Mandley is a good person to talk to

mmandley
07-20-2013, 07:53 PM
You can call Cory with Evolution Covers, tell him I sent you and your a Moomba Forum member, he makes some of the best covers hands down.

You can tow with it, store the boat or what ever. I have had a couple of his covers on my boats and never an issue with them.

treverspence
07-20-2013, 08:07 PM
Any idea on pricing?

mmandley
07-20-2013, 08:16 PM
Varies on what all options you pick,
Such as tower strap for extra water drainage
Swim Deck Cover
Colors
Different color Stitching.

I cant quote an official price but his covers are normally around 800-1000

Heres a few pics of the 1 on my old LSV and then new Mojo

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/mmandley/DSC_0096-1.jpg (http://s639.photobucket.com/user/mmandley/media/DSC_0096-1.jpg.html)

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/mmandley/DSC_0101.jpg (http://s639.photobucket.com/user/mmandley/media/DSC_0101.jpg.html)

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/mmandley/DSC_0183_zps35f33c65.jpg (http://s639.photobucket.com/user/mmandley/media/DSC_0183_zps35f33c65.jpg.html)

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/mmandley/DSC_0188_zps57733f60.jpg (http://s639.photobucket.com/user/mmandley/media/DSC_0188_zps57733f60.jpg.html)

skiyaker
07-20-2013, 08:29 PM
Just finished a 500 mile tow with my evolution cover- it's worth the money

snyderaaron
07-20-2013, 09:56 PM
Where does the evolution cover attach too? Right now I have the regular snap on one

mmandley
07-20-2013, 09:58 PM
Where does the evolution cover attach too? Right now I have the regular snap on one

It has adjustable J clasp on the sides that grab the rub rail. An then straps on the rear only.
This also shows the swim deck cover

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/mmandley/DSC_0185_zps3d599f1e.jpg (http://s639.photobucket.com/user/mmandley/media/DSC_0185_zps3d599f1e.jpg.html)

wolfeman131
07-20-2013, 10:53 PM
Be careful with the magic erasers! The will destroy your vinyl.

motosno963
07-21-2013, 02:29 AM
just about to say that haha..if i get this mondo then i might pick up a evo cover as well..but ill see what cover comes with it

treverspence
07-21-2013, 07:56 AM
As far as towing with cover that isn't very important to me the river is only 3 miles from my house I am more interested in it being water repellent are the evolutions good at repelling water? Didn't know that magic eraser was bad for vinyl I had a boat dealership tell me about them thanks for info.

wolfeman131
07-21-2013, 01:15 PM
They are abrasive and wear away the material. Bad info from your dealer.

saskyrider
07-21-2013, 08:31 PM
Evolution cover was the best purchase I've ever made for my boat. Cory is amazing to work with!!

from Muh droid .....

maxpower220
07-21-2013, 09:02 PM
You will find that the sun will help your stains. Leave it in the sun as much as possible. Use caution on what product you use on your vinyl if you want it or the stitching to last.

FFEMTP933
07-21-2013, 09:06 PM
I just picked up my 2013 LSV this past Friday and like everyone else won't to keep it looking as new as possible for as long as possible. I looking for some indoor storage options and I may be able to squeeze her into the garage (once I move all my other junk out) but for now she is outside :( . My question is, should I go ahead and get an evolution cover (heard and read great times about them) and use it instead of the factory moomba cover that can with it or use the moomba cover until time to replace it. Also what are some good tips to get a long life out of the factory cover. I've upgraded from a I/O and the past (cheaper covers) I used on it worked great for about 1 1/2 and the went to crap. I do not mind paying more to protect my new baby if it will last, but 600-1000 every year and a half on boat covers cuts into my gas and toy money big time. Again hope to get her under a roof but wanted to know other options if I can't get her indoors. Thanks in advice for ideas.

NateHaskovec
07-21-2013, 11:54 PM
I just picked up my 2013 LSV this past Friday and like everyone else won't to keep it looking as new as possible for as long as possible. I looking for some indoor storage options and I may be able to squeeze her into the garage (once I move all my other junk out) but for now she is outside :( . My question is, should I go ahead and get an evolution cover (heard and read great times about them) and use it instead of the factory moomba cover that can with it or use the moomba cover until time to replace it. Also what are some good tips to get a long life out of the factory cover. I've upgraded from a I/O and the past (cheaper covers) I used on it worked great for about 1 1/2 and the went to crap. I do not mind paying more to protect my new baby if it will last, but 600-1000 every year and a half on boat covers cuts into my gas and toy money big time. Again hope to get her under a roof but wanted to know other options if I can't get her indoors. Thanks in advice for ideas.

If you have the full cover with the ratchet strap and the towing kit, use it until it wears out. It is one of the best factory covers I have ever seen.

My XLV had the snap covers, and they were not very good at keeping stuff out. My 2013 LSV with the Moomba full cover sits outside in the summer and gets garaged in the winter. I have left it out in torrential downpours, we have leaves that fall and blow onto it during storms, and there are bugs like crazy here. My stock cover keeps it all out.

It looks almost exactly like Mikes Evolution cover. I have had my "2013" for almost a year, and the cover looks new.

treverspence
07-22-2013, 05:52 PM
So Westland gets back with me and says I used a harsh cleaner on the cover and the water repellency broke down because of something I did. What a POS company the cover is only 3 months old why in the hell would I be washing a new cover my last boat (Super Air Nautique) cover was 5 years old and never got washed and I never had one problem with it. I would suggest no one buy anything from Westland as they do not stand behind their products. When I first purchased the cover it took three grown men to pull the cover over the swim platform Westlands response to that issue was it obviously had an after market swim platform great customer service they have shown to me in my 3 months of owning this cover.

moombadaze
07-22-2013, 06:03 PM

garageing it is the best cover. if you allready have a cover there would be no reason to rush out and get the Evolutions unless you plan to tow with it covered.

parrothd
07-22-2013, 06:14 PM
I tow with the stock cover, going to use and abuse it (it's outside 365) until I need an evolution cover, probably in a few years, I'm on year 2 with this cover, i bought used so it's a few years older...:rolleyes:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

zabooda
07-22-2013, 07:32 PM
I had a custom cover similar to the Evolution cover made in 2002 and after 12 years of being outdoors all the time it hasn't changed at all. It is made out of Topgun material. It's a heavier material then used on the Evolution covers but it will last for probably as long as you own the boat. Cost back then was $400.

FFEMTP933
07-22-2013, 08:21 PM
Any tips on extending the life of a factory cover and protection. I have looked at the 303 products, any thoughts on them or others? Any thing to extend the life of factory covers. I'm sure this cover will last longer than the other cheaper covers but the others would start leaking a little and start to mild (just the cover, not in the boat) after only a year and a half or so.

EricU
07-22-2013, 09:08 PM
Any tips on extending the life of a factory cover and protection.

I have one of Cory's Evolution covers and love it.

It may sound kind of dumb, but I will cover it with a simple blue tarp to keep the UV (and cats!!!!!) off of it during the summer as I still haven't built my boat garage and I don't usually put the boat in the vette garage until winter. The blue tarps hardly last one year out in the sun.