PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Train their boat behind 5th wheel?

viking
07-16-2013, 06:23 PM
It's done all the time here in MT and legal limit is 75ft.
I'm looking into buying a 26-28ft 5th wheel so I can still get up in the mountains but pulling 1 rig to the lake would be nice.

Only issue for me would be in a year or 2 the "new" boat will be the most expensive rig and it'll be the caboose. That's kind of a scary thought :)

zabooda
07-16-2013, 07:01 PM
I didn't realize that so many States allowed it. I imagine that you would have to have a good idea of the roads you plan to use as navigation may be tricky where you may need to run a couple short trips to get the gear down to a campsite.

http://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide.com/2009/07/triple_towing.php

jstenger
07-16-2013, 07:07 PM
I used to haul my 16' Sugarsand jet boat behind my 34' fifth wheel. I had an F350 crew cab with a V10 and 8' bed. The max toung weight on the hitch attached to my fifth wheel was only 300 pounds. I believe our Moomba's are over that, so you will have to check. I measured out at 68' from bumper to bumper. Here in michigan you have to carry either a commercial drivers license or get a recreational doubles endorsement on your license. You also need extra chains attaching the boat hitch to the camper frame, and you are supposed to only be 65' long.

Sent from my Droid Charge using Tapatalk 2

mmandley
07-17-2013, 04:25 PM
It's done all the time here in MT and legal limit is 75ft.
I'm looking into buying a 26-28ft 5th wheel so I can still get up in the mountains but pulling 1 rig to the lake would be nice.

Only issue for me would be in a year or 2 the "new" boat will be the most expensive rig and it'll be the caboose. That's kind of a scary thought :)

Sounds interesting. Also look into your weights, Truck, Camper, Boat all have to weigh in less then 26K
Example my truck weighs in at 9k, boat on the trailer is 6k and then you add a 5th wheel means loaded it has to weigh less then 10K and then you have 1K left as spare room.

If the DOT ever stops you and I'm sure they would lol, they weight each axle with People in the vehicle and the fines are stupid high. Also they can ground you at the point of the infraction, and force you to have a tow truck take your boat or camper in order to make you at the legal wight limits.

When i was hauling campers in the winters i dealt with a few DOT people and i wasn't pulling triples LOL

viking
07-17-2013, 04:37 PM
No special endorsement needed in MT. There is a local shop that specialized in trailers and they beef up the rear bumper, hitch, and wire it for the caboose trailer brakes (it's not needed with the boatmate's surge brakes) but my RZR trailer has electric brakes. They also flip axles and build shackles and I might have to have them do that since my truck is lifted just to get the clearance needed. But some newer 5th wheels come pretty high stock so we'll see!

It is alot to think about to buy, build, and get the right set-up done right! Just wondering how many other out there are (pardon the pun) "in the same boat" :)

mmandley
07-17-2013, 04:42 PM
I sure wouldnt mind it but in the long run i think we will end up with a Bed Camper and pulling the boat behind the truck still. IDK though, 5th wheels and bumper pull campers are a lot cheaper per sq ft then a bed camper

viking
07-17-2013, 04:51 PM
I sure wouldnt mind it but in the long run i think we will end up with a Bed Camper and pulling the boat behind the truck still. IDK though, 5th wheels and bumper pull campers are a lot cheaper per sq ft then a bed camper

I know, there really is no "perfect" solution. Been back and forth on Class C versus 5th wheel tandem and I just think for us it's the way to go. We travel to the lake or trails all summer long and it's a pain with 2 tow rigs. I'd go class C Diesel but they are some $$bucks and I want a new boat instead. Priorities you know :) And the thought of picking up camp to load and unload the boat with the class C doesn't intrigue me much.

moombahighrider
07-17-2013, 07:38 PM
I am set up to do it but I have not to date. I have a 29' 5th wheel on a short bed truck. I had the hitch custom built and installed by a mechanical welder friend (it's his business and what he does, so its a sound setup) as a backup option, if I ever need it in an emergency. We often have close friends who come on our trips and I would much rather trust one of my more 'capable' and 'trustworthy' friends tow the boat for me. I know I have the option if I absolutely have no other option...

jimmobius
07-17-2013, 09:57 PM
Right on vike! I used to train a jetski behind the boat behind the 30' class a . 71' long total, all over Montana ,Wyo , Utah. Don't think I'll do that again. If you don't have to sleep a lot of people , slide in camper works well. Matter of fact , I am still am set up that way. Problem with the long vehicle is , backing up , getting fuel, pulling into the campground, unhook , hook up to put the boat in . Also up and down the mountain passes , that is another story.. Montana not too bad , Colorado , uh takes more time. If you don't have to go too far, I guess it wouldn't be too bad, more rv and also can bring the boat! I would also consider "panic braking" it will happen , someone will pull out in front of you.
Jim

bergermaister
07-18-2013, 02:11 AM
I'd be curious how the hell you navigate through town and around a tight(er) right turn - you know one is going to come up sooner or later...

Also curious about sway control out on the freeway or any problems like that. Could be a wild ride with a good crosswind!

~Jstenger - how many gallons per mile did you average with your setup pulling doubles?

jstenger
07-18-2013, 06:32 AM
I'd be curious how the hell you navigate through town and around a tight(er) right turn - you know one is going to come up sooner or later...

Also curious about sway control out on the freeway or any problems like that. Could be a wild ride with a good crosswind!

~Jstenger - how many gallons per mile did you average with your setup pulling doubles?

Forward navigation was actually pretty easy. Because the rear of the camper would swing out on turns, the toung of the boat would go out, and the boat would follow the same track as the camper. Backing up was a bitch, but it could be done. As far as sway control goes, it depends on the length and axle placement of the second trailer. Short trailers with a centered axle sway all over, and long trailers with an axle near the rear

Sent from my Droid Charge using Tapatalk 2

jstenger
07-18-2013, 08:02 AM
Stupid smart phone. Let me continue.

Long trailers with an axle near the rear sway very little. I would average 10mpg with just the camper and 9mpg pulling my 2500 pound jet boat.

viking
08-06-2013, 09:47 AM

Well got my "choo choo" on this past weekend with much success. It pulled alot better than I even anticipated. It is hard to see the boat back there so I may have to get some kind of camera system rigged up for the future. I'd hate to get a flat and not be able to catch it right away. Other than that it was smooth sailing and the boat tracked extremely well.

bergermaister
08-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Wow - that's pretty cool! Wish we could do that here. Would save me from having to buy another tow vehicle.

jimmobius
08-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Good looking rig, how far did you go with it and did you take the interstate and side roads?
Jim

KG's Supra24
08-06-2013, 10:35 AM
Looking sweet. Going to be something you do regularly?

viking
08-06-2013, 12:48 PM
Good looking rig, how far did you go with it and did you take the interstate and side roads?
Jim
Went down to Tongue River Reservior. We spend alot of time there in the summers. It's about 2 hours both interstate and then 2 lane side road through the crow reservation :eek: I keep my 40S&W close (ha ha)

Looking sweet. Going to be something you do regularly?
That's the plan! Alot of times we go with guests and if they can I'll make them tow the boat as part of the deal. Just makes it a bit easier but gotta tell you........It was pretty smooth and towed better than I thought it would. I wouldn't want to back up at all but if you take your time and plan things out a little one should never get in a position where you would have to.

mcdye
08-06-2013, 01:19 PM
We did the train 'back in the day'. Dad could not see the boat so he would strap a stick with flags on the end, on the boat so he could see around the trailer. We did have one issue but he was getting inpatient and decided to pass someone..... not a good idea. Luckily he was a truck driver by profession and kept his cool. Still did the train afterward but was more patient and kept the speed down..

bergermaister
08-06-2013, 01:50 PM
Did you, or should I say, 'how much' lift went onto the 5th wheel to line up with your truck? Just an axle/spring flip? Looks like she's ridin pretty tall.

moombadaze
08-06-2013, 01:58 PM

Well got my "choo choo".

Congrats on the train, thats gotta be great to take it all with you

how do you get the boat trailer hooked up?

zabooda
08-06-2013, 02:30 PM
Double HD cameras and a screen for $65 at Amazon. I did my truck with a single camera and a friends truck and 5th wheel with two cameras. He used the trailer camera for backing up.

jstenger
08-06-2013, 07:16 PM
What is your overall length from front bumper to swim platform?

viking
08-07-2013, 09:56 AM
What is your overall length from front bumper to swim platform?
72ft 4in - I've got about 3 ft to spare. That's gonna come in handy here in the near future :)

how do you get the boat trailer hooked up?
Really easy. Just back up the camper slowly and get it fairly close. With the fulton dual wheel jack you can manuever the boat quite a bit to get it hooked up. A spotter helps alot!

Did you, or should I say, 'how much' lift went onto the 5th wheel to line up with your truck? Just an axle/spring flip? Looks like she's ridin pretty tall.
About 7inches. They are torsion axles so it has a boxed frame that was added to to get the lift. Extra clearance comes in handy here when trying to get into the forest service. Local trailer shop did the work and replaced the bumper with new and reinforced for the tandem pull.

Wax
08-07-2013, 01:56 PM
What size fifth wheel did you end up getting? Is your truck a duramax? If not, which gasser do you have?

Good thread BTW. When I was a kid my dad pulled our jetskis behind the fifth wheel. One time we had a flat and didn't know, luckily somebody on the highway flagged us down! In Michigan you need a "Double R" endorsement, and I think the length limit was recently changed from 69ft to 75ft. It was funny, a couple years ago when I went to get my endorsement the lady at the Sec of State had no idea what I was talking about when I asked to take my Double R test, she had to go look through files to even find it since she had no idea it even existed!

I choo-chood with my duck boat behind my half ton and old small (20 foot) fifth wheel up through last year with no problems at all. I "upgraded" last fall to a 25ft 5th wheel and a 3/4 ton truck, and I've been thinking about choo-chooing with my LSV. I'm concerned with the overall weight and the overall length, but your setup gives me hope. At least in Michigan other rules are the fifth wheel has to be heavier than the rear trailer, and the truck has to be rated to tow the total weight (not sure how they'd verify that on the road). My fifth wheel is about 5300lbs dry, and my boat has got to be about 4000lbs, so especially including people, gear, and gas I'm stretching the limit on my 2000 Dodge 3/4 ton if it's even that high. Not to mention I think the old 5.9L gasser would struggle a lot with that weight, so I would likely have to trade up to a diesel rig. We would only do it once or twice a year probably since we live on a lake and rarely take our boat elsewhere, so I could maybe get away with it.

Question for jimmobius if you read this...how in the world did you get away with pulling a jetski behind your boat behind a class a? I thought it was only legal to double up behind a fifth wheel, had no idea it was legal with a bumper pull. I know at least in Michigan it's not legal, maybe other states it is?

sicktc06
08-07-2013, 02:02 PM

Well got my "choo choo" on this past weekend with much success.

Poor camper had no idea what it was in for.. Didn't even have a chance to stay no!

jimmobius
08-08-2013, 10:46 PM
Wax,
Well I never was stopped or questioned about it by the law, did this in Col, Wyo, Ut, Mt. It is legal in these states as far as double trailers . Brakes on both trailers were not required I guess. The jet ski and trailer didn't weigh very much , maybe that's why I wasn't stopped. I did have the hitch on the boat trailer offset to the left side so I could see the trailer in my mirror .
Jim

Wax
08-09-2013, 01:16 PM
Wax,
Well I never was stopped or questioned about it by the law, did this in Col, Wyo, Ut, Mt. It is legal in these states as far as double trailers . Brakes on both trailers were not required I guess. The jet ski and trailer didn't weigh very much , maybe that's why I wasn't stopped. I did have the hitch on the boat trailer offset to the left side so I could see the trailer in my mirror .
Jim

I've seen pictures a few times before on the internet of a similar setup to what you're describing, however I know in Michigan it's completely illegal to do if the first connection isn't a fifth wheel. I don't even think it's legal behind a gooseneck. I've never looked into other state's laws really, but it is cool to hear somebody that actually did it and had no issues!

viking
08-09-2013, 03:00 PM
I've seen alot of boat trailers modified to carry a couple skiis in addition to boat. Some of the setups are pretty sweet.
I think i'll stay with what I have for the time being.

Wax
08-09-2013, 03:14 PM
Yeah I've seen those with like the hydraulic or mechanical swing up 2nd level. I saw one at the lake when I was a kid and thought it was the coolest thing. Just recently I saw like a 28 or 30ft powerboat from the late 80's for sale maybe on CL or ebay that had 2 place 2nd level for skis, was really cool.

If only she'd let me have 2 expensive boats...if I even had time for it lol

Wax
08-23-2013, 01:12 PM
Viking, how's the choo-chooing going? I think I'm taking my fifth wheel in tomorrow to have a receiver welded up to it. I was going to try and attempt it myself, but looks like I need an additional frame crossmember added and if I'm ever going to attempt pulling the LSV I want it done right. The RV place I get most of my hitch stuff done at will weld it up and even install the light hookup, if I provide the wiring, for $300.

My only concern is running a 5 flat back there, not sure where I'd even connect the reverse to since I don't think there's any back up lights on the trailer like on vehicles...but it has to have the signal somewhere coming through the 7 pin into the trailer wiring I would think.

viking
08-23-2013, 01:22 PM
It's going well. Most RV places here said they could do it too and was around $500. I don't trust most of them as they all seem to farm out the bumper to a local welding shop and then install it. Said they would rate it for 3500-5000lbs depending on the dealer I talked to.

Decided to take out the middle-man and went straight to a local trailer/welding shop as I had to have my trailer raised by them anyway. It was around $800 for the rear bumper and the 7-pin wiring. They tied the wiring into the trailer wiring so I have trailer brakes on the caboose trailer as well as lights. Going to come in handy when I tandem my RZR down to the dunes in a week. Bumper is tied into the frame rails of the trailer. They dropped the underskirt to tie it in and most RV places wouldn't spend the time doing that. Asked them about load rating and he laughed. Said I would have no problems if the truck can pull it and if I do have issues, the trailer frame is going to be fubar :) Needless to say it's beefier than anything you will find installed by the dealer.

Wax
08-23-2013, 03:15 PM
Nice. Yeah the RV place I use does all the work themselves, and I know their family personally anyway. Unfortunately I moved away from them, and it's at least an hour drive now to get there. I called a local welding shop near me that does a lot of work for the truck accessory shop here in town, and he said he can do it tomorrow and he's done it multiple times before...he sounded very knowledgeable about it.

I've heard the same thing, and actually got a similar response from the RV place's owner, when I asked if it would handle my boat. He also kind of chuckled and said "oh yeah, you can tow anything behind it". However, I honestly don't even think my truck can handle it anyway. 5500lb trailer, 3300lb boat, boat trailer is what another 1000lb maybe, then gas and gear and people...we're talking probably over 11,000lbs. I have a 2000 Ram 3/4 but it only has the 5.9 gas. If it had the cummins or even the V10 it would be rated high enough. Even if mine was rated high enough, I don't think that motor could do it. If I was trying to go through the hills in upper Michigan I think I'd be crawling pretty much lol!