PDA

View Full Version : trouble fueling my mojo 2.5

Riddle2.5
07-15-2013, 12:38 AM
The gas over flows every time I put gas in it I have to sit and baby sit it when filling even when its almost empty any one else have this problem or Andy ides that would help me??

wolfeman131
07-15-2013, 08:47 AM
how are you filling - from cans or at station?

is your boat a '12 or '13?

never had any issues with mine.

NateHaskovec
07-15-2013, 09:44 AM
The gas over flows every time I put gas in it I have to sit and baby sit it when filling even when its almost empty any one else have this problem or Andy ides that would help me??

Both of my Moombas do/did that.

I just listen closely and you can hear the gas tank getting full. I'd be interested if there is a way to fix this. I would prefer it shut off like a car.

04OUTBACK
07-15-2013, 09:51 AM
My 04 outback did this. Fuel full hose was cut too long at factory and kinked a bit. I shortened and voila!

Not sure how easy access is in mojo but that was fix for mine.

One check on that would be to unscrew the screws that hold filler neck on hull and see if it pops up when loose or If it takes enough pressure off kink.

It's only a hose running straight to tank so most probably a bend or kink.

I understand the frustration. Guy I bought from said it was "normal". Dealer said no issue. I wouldn't accept that!

wolfeman131
07-15-2013, 09:55 AM
I would prefer it shut off like a car.

new boats will.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?20898-New-fueling-systems&highlight=fuel+system

NateHaskovec
07-15-2013, 10:12 AM
new boats will.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?20898-New-fueling-systems&highlight=fuel+system

From experience (at least 10 times filling my 2013 LSV), it doesn't. When it gets full, it spits gas out.

Just ask my gas station about the guy who fills up with a microfiber towel in his hand.

wolfeman131
07-15-2013, 10:43 AM
does your boat have the new fuel system? some 2013's do not.

drifter
07-15-2013, 10:48 AM
My 2012 LSV burps all the time when filling up. I have to keep paper towels held up below the nozzle to catch the overflow. It is almost as if it doesn't vent as it should. I might see if I have a kink as well.

NateHaskovec
07-15-2013, 11:02 AM
I have never checked. Every boat I have owned has done this (non-moomba as well).

I figured it was the "norm".

My 2013 had to be one of the very first. It was the first my dealer was able to get, and we are fairly close to the factory.

VA LSV
07-15-2013, 11:07 AM
Also make sure the vent hose isn't kinked. It's a seperate small hose that runs from the gas tank to the filler neck unit.

wolfeman131
07-15-2013, 11:22 AM
My 2013 had to be one of the very first. It was the first my dealer was able to get, and we are fairly close to the factory.

Maybe not, then. I don't fill at the pump and hardly ever top off so as to avoid having any spills into the water.

Sounds like the OP has a few things to check in regards to potential kinks in lines.

rdlangston13
07-15-2013, 12:56 PM
Mine does this sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. I usually select the slowest auto fill setting and that seems to fix it

Sent from my iPhone

mmandley
07-15-2013, 01:01 PM
Never have issues fueling my boats.

I only stick the nozel in 3/4 and keep it on low setting, i stuff a towel in the bottom of the opening to catch anything but you can also hear it as it gets full.

rdlangston13
07-15-2013, 02:01 PM
Back when I used to have a red ranger and was living up in Dallas I was fueling up one day and it was freezing outside and raining so I was sitting in the truck while it was pumping. It seemed like it was taking awhile so I looked at the pump counter and saw it said 18 gallons and was still going up Andy ranger only held 16.5! I glance I'm the side view mirror and see gas coming out on the full neck all over the ground! I jumped out and shut it off after spilling 4 gallons of gas on the parking lot but now I try to stand right next to it and watch it to make sure it shuts off.

Sent from my iPhone

Riddle2.5
07-15-2013, 03:10 PM
I will check to see if the hose is kinking but I can't even use the slowest setting I have to stand there with it and just ease it in its a 2013........hope this is not normal its so annoying !

wolfeman131
07-15-2013, 03:11 PM
it doesn't sound normal. look for yourself then take it to the dealer and have them fix it.

04OUTBACK
07-15-2013, 03:12 PM
Riddle
I suspect it's not normal for sure.
As mentioned i wouldn't accept that when i bought my boat and fished around til I found solution.

As others pointed out, it's either a vent issue or the hose is kinked somewhere.

NateHaskovec
07-15-2013, 04:27 PM
I will check to see if the hose is kinking but I can't even use the slowest setting I have to stand there with it and just ease it in its a 2013........hope this is not normal its so annoying !

Now that you put it that way, I would check what everyone else is saying or go to the dealer.

Mine only spits when full and I don't stop it in time.